Rebuild Factory A/C or install Vintage???? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Although my car is a factory A/C car, its missing most of the major underhood components (motor side suitcase, compressor, condensor, dryer, POA valve & hoses). All I have is the evaporator, half a suitcase & wiring harness. All the interior components are intact.

The big question is do I restore the original A/C system or do I install an aftermarket one like Vintage?

As the entire body & drivetrain is original, I do want the car to remain that way but is it worth it? I've heard the Vintage system performs much better than the factory one & you can use the factory controls & vents. It might even be cheaper!

Opinions, PLEASE!!!

Mark

------------------
Original '68 SS, Ash Gold/ Ivy Gold, black vinyl top, 396/325hp, TH400, A/C, PS, power disc/drum brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

With the options on your car, I would try to get an original system. If it wasn't an SS396, I would do Vintage Air.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 12:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
scott

Mark,
You said all original but didn't say if it's a numbers matching car or not. I would think if it's a numbers matching car you would be better off trying to finish it with factory parts even if it's more expensive. If not, Vintage A/C is going to be the way to go in my opinion. Good luck

------------------
SCOTT
69 RS-SS 396 4-SPEED

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 01:15 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I agree with restoration to original if the car is numbers matching. The parts are expensive but it would be worth the extra IMHO.

If your car is not numbers matching go for the Vintage Air- cheaper, works better and no extensive mods required.

I'm planning on Vintage Air for my car, eventually, but it is a hot rod and hardly original!

Good luck!

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 02:04 PM
Senior Tech

Mark
I have a condensor,and some hoses, and a valve.
I got them at Turkey rod run hear in Daytona last year, not sure if there oem or not, but the rest of stuff was,(all off the same car)I just wanted the sheet metal
Let me know if your interested
Roger
p.s. LOTS of parts and venders at Turkey rod run,you should check it out this year!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Guys...its a numbers matching car. So far all stamps, casting #s & dates check out except the alternator & water pump. Includes carb, intake, engine block, heads, exhaust manifolds, tranny, rear end, glass, & wheels.

Mark

------------------
Original '68 SS, Ash Gold/ Ivy Gold, black vinyl top, 396/325hp, TH400, A/C, PS, power disc/drum brakes
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

68Datona...I've heard the Rod Run is great. Unfortunately I always have something else going on around turkey day.

Mark

------------------

[This message has been edited by RealSS396 (edited 09-12-2002).]
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 02:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I believe the Vintage Air unit has a plate that covers your factory hole and doesn't mess up the firewall. I would use the Vintage air unit and if you ever come across the stock parts that you need for cheap I would buy them and tuck them away. The Vintage system will look and perform better and be cheaper to work on in the long run. A stock Big block with AC Camaro is a Bear to work on also.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 02:45 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

In your case an original system would be the way to go. If the car was to have headers and other go-fast goodies then VA is the only way to go. FActory AC on modified '67-8 cars is a PITA.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

[This message has been edited by CarlC (edited 09-12-2002).]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 03:08 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

If it were me, I'd do the original system. Yeah, they're a pain compared to modern or Vintage Air, but an original b/b deserves an original system. I put original system on my 69 Yenko clone, and I have about 1000 in the system. The brackets, suitcase, POA valve and expansion valve are original. The rest came from Old Air Products in Fort Worth.

BTW, I just saw some A/C parts on ebay for a pre-69 short water pump, compressor on pass side. Not sure if they are for 68 camaro, though.

If the half of the suitcase you have is the inside half, you're in luck. The outside half is the same shape, b/b or s/b. The difference is that the b/b does not have the support bracket for the POA valve (or the holes where they used to be.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 02, 04:23 PM
Tech Team
Rodney

Mark I am in exact spot you are in. My car is also matching #s but I am leaning towards chills plan. put vintage air in for now and keep eye out for correct parts. I am just glad that when they removed old factory parts they did not destroy fire wall. If you come up with any extra factory parts please keep me in mind, like I said we are in exact same boat.

------------------
Rodney Colbert 70 Chevelle SS Real L-78 4-speeed 68RS/SS 350HP 396 400 turbo red with black top red interior AC PS PB 12 bolt posi #s Matching
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode