Air Intake Upgrade??? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 02, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Hello all,
I have a question regarding my 1990 Firebird. I know this is a forum for camaros but you guys have been really helpful in the past. Here is my question:
Does anyone know of any aftermarket air intake kits that can be installed in place of the OEM one? My car is notorious for running hot once it gets stuck in traffic for a little while. I think the biggest problem is just that there is not enough air being moved through the intake. I have spoken to other Firebird and Camaro owners who have had V8's with similar issues. However, I was really surprised to find next to no information out on the Internet about kits available. I thought maybe someone else here had already tackled this issue. Here are the specs on my car:

1990 Formula 350 Firebird
5.7L V8 350 Engine
Tuned Port Fuel Injection
Stock 4-Speed Auto Trans
Stock Intake
Stock Exhaust System
The current intake system uses the tall cylinder size filter that sits inside a canister that is located on the passenger side next to the headlight motors.

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it!

-Dan Taney
[email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 02, 10:09 AM
Team Member
John

The air intake has nothing to do with engine operating temperature. If your car is truly "running hot" in traffic (what does the gauge say in traffic?), make sure your condenser and radiator are clean and clear of debris, leaves, etc., your shroud is intact, the fan is working properly, all the rubber seals are in place, and your coolant is at the proper level. Does it run at normal temperature on the highway?

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 02, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

When in traffic it hovers between 250-260 degrees. It handles fine on the highway in normal driving conditions. When the car is not sitting in traffic, it usually stays around 180 degrees.

The coolant was replaced about 6 months ago and I cleaned out any leaves and such that I could find.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 02, 08:59 AM
Senior Tech

Does the fan come on after its been idling for a while? You should hear this when there's not to much other noise around (radio, traffic etc)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 02, 09:52 AM
xodus921

welcome, always cool to see the local guys around... www.thirdgen.org they probably can help, Also check out www.nethirdgen.org its a group for third gen's and alot of the guys there are from the philly area...

------------------
Tony
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>1979 Z-28, 350, Th350- Edelbrock Performer RPM cam and intake, Holley 650, Trick flow twisted wedge heads, dynomax headers,flowmaster american thunder exhuast[/list]http://hobbystage.net/camaro/xodus921/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 02, 08:33 PM
Senior Tech
TJ

Try a rad flush first, and take a pressure washer to the rad itself to remove any caked on bugs and stuff that gets in between the cooling fins/heat sinks. Failing this, I would look into the fan itself. Have you got an electric or mechanical fan? On the latter, sometimes the mechanical clutch is bogus and will slip as opposed to turn the fan at the right speed. Another area to investigate may be the water pump itself.

[This message has been edited by BreathWeapon (edited 09-22-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode