Difference between SB and BB power steering pump - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 02, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Can anyone give me a good description of what the differences are between the 2 power steering pumps. 69 BB pumps compared to other BB pumps? SB to BB difference?

Thanks,
Gary

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 02, 03:39 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I know you asked for a "good" description... a pic would be best, but I don't have one.

The pumps are identical, the pulley is identical, the pump resevoir is identical, except for the routing of the low pressure return line nipple. The only difference is the shape of the bend. On the small block, it routes above the high pressure inlet fitting. On the b/b it routes about 1" below that fitting. If you look at the assembly manual RPO N40 A8 (page 405) you can see the difference. If you don't have one, I can fax or mail you that page.

I took a small block, and carefully re-bent it for my b/b. I put the high pressure line on, and bent the nipple susch that it would route correctly, and not rub on anything.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 02, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

Thanks unreal. I do have the book and I don't know why i didn't look in it first. According to the pictures, it looks like the return line is tucked in closer to the back of the pump. I THINK i may have an older (67-68)pump with that piece sticking straight out the back and then down and it interfers with the block when I try to make adjustments.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode