door locks? I don't have any documents with
the original ignition key number. I would
sure like to get around replacing the locks
if possible. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 02, 10:00 AM
Senior Tech

You should be able to take the lock cylinder to a good lock smith and they should be able to determine they key "pattern" from there and make you a copy.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 02, 04:17 PM
Senior Tech

you have a couple of options , if you can remove the ignition cylinder there should be a code # stamped on it bring it to a reputable locksmith and they will be able to reproduce and original key from that code. as for the doors and trunk take out the passenger door cylinder that too should have a code stamped on the side and again youll be able to reproduce an original key, in some instances you might get lucky enough to find a locksmith that has the key blanks that correspond to the year of the vehicle. im a locksmith in New York so if theres anything i can assist with feel free to ask..

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 02, 05:52 PM
Senior Tech
Rob

Am I to understand that you have the ignition key for the replacement ignition, but not the original key that fits in the doors?

Rob

------------------
Rob Rice
[email protected]
http://home.attbi.com/~racrrob
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 05:33 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

If you have the replacement ignition key but not the door key take your existing ignition key to a locksmith or the dealer, he will be able to tell you the code for the key you have. From this you can get the correct length tumblers to install in your existing door lock cylinders. The locks are nothing more than 5 different length tumblers, each tumbler can be one of 5 different lengths. You should be able to get a code like 23134, or BCACD that will correspond to specific tumblers used with whatever key you have. So once you know what length tumber goes in which position it's no big deal to swap them around. Delears and locksmiths carry tumblers and they only cost a couple of cents each. Make sure when you get them that you keep them separated as some of the lengths are very hard to tell from one another by eye.

The cylinders come right out of the door by removing the spring clamp inside the door. Then all you have to do is pry off the little metal cover on the top of the lock cylinder, pull out the existing tumblers and springs (actually they will probably fall out so make sure you do this in a clean area) from the cylinder and reinstall the new ones in the proper order. Takes about 5 minutes per cylinder if you keep the tumblers properly arranged. Make sure the ignition key will turn the locks before you put the cylinders back in the door.

It also works the other way around. The locksmith or dealer have a tool they insert into the lock cylinder that should be able to tell you the code of your existing door lock cylinder. They can then cut you a matching key and a set of tumblers for the ignition switch based on that code. Then you can replace just the tumblers in the ignition switch and everything will match again.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

[This message has been edited by Mark C (edited 09-24-2002).]
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 06:15 AM
Senior Tech

you Cannot BUY the tumblers for these locks and do it yourself!
you can only bring them to a locksmith to either get them decoded or rekeyed. all the dealer can do is supply you with new cylinders as i explained there are codes stamped on the outside of the door cylinder and ignition cylinder and a locksmith can make the keys. that is the simplest route to take and the most inexpensive way to go, haveing a key made from the code should cost anywhere from $18-$20 each.
and you will be able to keep the original lock cylinders.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 07:01 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I guess I didn't walk into the dealer (granted it was 15 years ago) and do this exact thing when I replaced my door lock cylinders and wanted to keep my original ignition key.

I must of imagined going to my local chey dealer with my old key and having him put it in his key punching machine to get the codes off of it, and then him pulling out a plastic parts box with about 15 different compartments holding various tumblers and springs with codes matching what the key punch dials said.

I must of imagined dropping the springs that are about 1/2 the diameter and 1/5 of the length of a ball point pen spring and having to hunt around an empty kitchen table for them each time it happened.

How do you think a dealer fixes a busted door cylinders or ignition switch switches today. They certainly don't rekey the whole car (although for the price you may think they did).

Read about keys and locks for first generation camaros:
http://www.camaros.org/keysandlocks.shtml

It's not that tough to get the key code with a dial caliper, it's just the dealers machines make it much easier. Tumblers are listed in section 10.553 of the Chevrolet P&A Catalog.

3901061 tumbler #1
3901062 tumbler #2
3901063 tumbler #3
3901064 tumbler #4
3901065 tumbler #5

They listed for 6.10 for 100 pcs back in 1983
They are still shown as active part numbers at WWW.GMPARTSDIRECT.COM with a GM list of $0.58 for 10 pcs and a gmpartsdirect price of 0.33 for 10 pcs.
------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

[This message has been edited by Mark C (edited 09-24-2002).]
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 08:39 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I got a key made for $10 for my ignition.
Take out one of your 1967 door locks. It has a 4 digit code on it. Any locksmith can make you a key off that code. Per California rules, since the 1967 door lock and ignition lock share that same pattern, you will have to sign an affidavit and show your registration of the car you are getting the key for.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 10:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

bonecrusher67 has the right idea. I didn't have any keys for my project car and I needed to get the ignition out of the dash. I took the drivers door lock out and went to the locksmith, he got the numbers off the lock and with the help of his computer, cut me a new key. I went home and it didn't work in the ignition, so I pulled the lock off the passener door and they were a different number. I guess the original drivers door had been in an accident and when it was replaced the moron didn't switch locks. The passenger door lock fit the ignition. The cost was $ 12. for both keys.

Bantam, are you talking about removing the ignition from a late model car? I don't think you can remove the ignition cylinder on a 67/68 Camaro without the key. The tumbler must be in the ACC position and then use a paperclip to release the tumbler. If you know of some other way to do it please post!

------------------
Scott
68 SS BB project car

[This message has been edited by cpodeep (edited 09-24-2002).]
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 02, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks guys for your help. With what you have told me, I should be able to get a key for my door locks without too much trouble I hope.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 02, 05:11 PM

I went to a junk yard and asked to borrow some of the old Chev keys they had in a box and those that were laying around in cars. Found 7 door and 4 or 5 ignition keys that worked. Security in 67 was more to make theft inconvinent not impossible. My fit was for 67 Impala but don't imagine it would be differnt.
Good luck
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 02, 08:19 PM
Senior Tech

Mark i owe you an apology...it seems i stand corrected, for the 1st time in my 20 plus years as a locksmith, i had a customer walk through my shop doors shortly after this thread, and he handed me his new door lock cylinders as well the the tumblers (Wafers) that he received from his dealer. i damm near fell on the floor. so i again apologize to you and to anyone else i might have misinformed

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark C:
I guess I didn't walk into the dealer (granted it was 15 years ago) and do this exact thing when I replaced my door lock cylinders and wanted to keep my original ignition key.

I must of imagined going to my local chey dealer with my old key and having him put it in his key punching machine to get the codes off of it, and then him pulling out a plastic parts box with about 15 different compartments holding various tumblers and springs with codes matching what the key punch dials said.

I must of imagined dropping the springs that are about 1/2 the diameter and 1/5 of the length of a ball point pen spring and having to hunt around an empty kitchen table for them each time it happened.

How do you think a dealer fixes a busted door cylinders or ignition switch switches today. They certainly don't rekey the whole car (although for the price you may think they did).

Read about keys and locks for first generation camaros:
http://www.camaros.org/keysandlocks.shtml

It's not that tough to get the key code with a dial caliper, it's just the dealers machines make it much easier. Tumblers are listed in section 10.553 of the Chevrolet P&A Catalog.

3901061 tumbler #1
3901062 tumbler #2
3901063 tumbler #3
3901064 tumbler #4
3901065 tumbler #5

They listed for 6.10 for 100 pcs back in 1983
They are still shown as active part numbers at WWW.GMPARTSDIRECT.COM with a GM list of $0.58 for 10 pcs and a gmpartsdirect price of 0.33 for 10 pcs.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode