is this worth considering/the trouble? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 02, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

i myself am very familiar with 69 camaros, but not so much with what is currently for sale, a 67 rs/ss 396. It is originally a white 4-speed car. basically as it sits now, it's a race car, 10 pt. cage, 12 bolt w /spool and 5.13 gears, 427 engine w/ turbo 400 trans. no speedo and tach or console, but it is very solid and has been garaged most of it's life. I have no data from the trim tag as of this time. my questions are, how rare is it, and is worth the effort to restore a race car back to a as-stock-as-possible street vehicle?

------------------
69 Camaro SS/RS 396 L-78 matching #'s
69 Chevelle SS 396 W/LS-7 454
69 Chevelle SS 396/325 original cruiser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 02, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Sounds like a good car,if you find another, you could make one from the two.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air (not yet installed)
700R4 TPI transmission
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 02, 07:31 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Unless you're looking for a major project, no. If you're looking for a race car it sounds like a great start. I bought a 69 SS that had been a race car since day one and retired in 92. I had the same ideas as you about making a street car out of it. Yes it had all the original metal except for the fiberglas hood and it was really straight because it had been stiffened up with the cage and frame connectors and solid bushing right from day one. Problem was interior was completely trashed, holes drilled everywhere, suspension was heavily modififed with coil overs, ladder bars, a-frames had the adjustable travel limit studs welded in, ect. To start I don't believe a cage is desirable in any street car, cutting that out and making it right would be a major project. Whenever sparks fly inside the car you'e got to protect the glass and remove everything else. Besides that it had great paint, but it was a drag race paint scheme ( my wife calls it clown paint). The 5.13 spool this car had isn't something you want on the street. Don't get me wrong I've run 4.88s and I'm not one of these guys that'll tell you to stay under 3.73 for street use. I don't believe in that if you want your street car to run decent you've got to give it some decent gearing, but the spool isn't something you want to run on the street. Finding all the heater parts and replacing everything right down to the dash instrument carrier. Since I had just completed a frame off on a 68 RS, I wasn't in the mood for another major project, so this car I sold after owning it only 6 months. It was a beautiful car on the outside, but don't let that distract you from the rest and how much work you're opening yourself up for.

Sounds like a nice car, but don't let your emotions trick you into thinking you're not in for some real work to convert it. Maybe once you get it you'll decide to leave it and enjoy it, sounds like it would be fun as it is.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 02, 08:26 PM
Senior Tech

If the car has been a strip car from the very beginning, then a proper restoration would be in the same lines. Making it a street car wouldn't be right.

There are plenty of collectable Corvettes that have been race cars all their lives. Probably the same for some Camaros too, just haven't paid any attention to that.

Just my opinion.

------------------
David
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech

Very true! Pictures of a certain ZL-1 come to mind...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 02, 02:15 AM
Senior Tech

A lot depends on how they made a race car out of it. If they just took a torch to everything they didn't want I would say no if it was done right it could be made into a fun street car. I am sure the heater defroster are gone but they can be found as just about anything else that was removed. The engine and trans should be suspect. Most people don't park a race car when it is is top form aside from the fact that the compression is probabily too high and the cam and convertor not really what you want for a street car. If the price is right and it was done correctly go for it if you can live with crawling in and out of the cage.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 02, 04:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thank you all very much for your input.

I took a ride by and checked out this "garaged for 24 years SS/RS big block"

I didn't even get out of my car.

Turns out that the car is not even a RS, or a SS, It's white because it's so wavy and filled with bondo that he had to do something to hide it's deplorable condition.

I should have gotten the hint when I was talking to the seller on the phone, I was very considerate,, asking general and specific questions about the car, he was very evasive and seemed like I was bothering him, why do people lie about such things like this?

I am glad the car was only the next town over, I hope someone else goes to look at it, and tells this clown that he is: 1- a jerk, 2- should tell the truth instead of wasting peope's time, 3-he's lucky someone doesn't or hasn't knocked him out for being # 1 #2

Thanks for listening to my .02, just thought I could pass on some beware when it comes to dealing with dimwits.

------------------
69 Camaro SS/RS 396 L-78 matching #'s
69 Chevelle SS 396 W/LS-7 454
69 Chevelle SS 396/325 original cruiser

[This message has been edited by tcss396 (edited 09-25-2002).]
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 02, 09:18 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. I've had many similar experiences. Working for a large flight department I've been fortunate enough to look at a lot of cars al over the country. Some of the cars I've come home with, most just leave me asking what was that guy thinking? the unfortunate truth is that the vast majority of the cars out there are just like the one you had your bad experience with. Many sellers just don't know anything about the hobby and either assume things or outright lie about what the car is and it's condition. To the ones that don't know what they're talking about all you can do is shake your head and laugh. To the ones trying to decieve you, look them in the eye and laugh, then walk away. Luckily it doesn't cost me anything usually when I'm going to look at these cars, if it did I'd feel pretty cheated on many of them.

Keep up the search, there is the occassional gem you'll find out there. There are also some very considerate and honest people out there selling as well, my experience has been they aren't the majority. It's too bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode