Would you consider buying this car? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Send a message via AIM to Winch Send a message via MSN to Winch
Rather than ask what's this worth I thought I'd see if you guys that buy and fix em up all the time think this one is worth considering.
I looked at a 68 coupe last night. 327/210 powerglide on the column with A/C. Numbers matching, butternut yellow with black interior (bucket seats). Supposed to be a 2 owner with 123K.
Mechanically everything seems to be there and it runs about like you'd expect. OK but nothing great. Body wise it needs a bit. Quarters need at least skins. Usual rust over and in front of rear wheels. Wheel wells and rockers seemed OK. Doors are fairly solid but need skins. Both fenders are needed and grille. Roof is good with a small area of rust under the rear window. Inside trunk is solid but a lot of surface rust. I don't think any new metal is needed in there. Didn't get to look under it yet so I don't know about floor pans.
The best part of the car is the interior is darn near perfect. A corner of the driver's seat needs restiched but back seat, headliner, carpet, dash are perfect. Package tray is faded. Kick panels look real good.
The guy is asking 5500. I'm primarily looking for a project to learn body and paint work on. It would make a great daily driver though or car for the kid when he's 16.
Considering what I want it for and how I descibed it, would you go for it? My main draw back right now is, I don't have the shop or the tools for the body work bought yet nor the garage space to store it unless something else sets out. If I spend the 5500 right now I'm set back a good ways on those tools. Kind of a ctach 22.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 04:14 AM
Senior Tech

I would snatch that up immediately. But then that is because it is almost exactly like the one my Dad bought in 1972---except his didn't have the AC (and I found out a few months ago that it was Canadian built).

I wouldn't recommend doing that though. I have a problem with buying up too many cars instead of just sinking the money into the cars I have. I think I've cured myself of that problem though because of the threat of having to move and having to get rid of all my "toys". Sink the same amount of money into your current project and you will be much happier in the long run.

------------------
David
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 04:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

That's a lot of sheetmetal replacement for $5500. If you can't do the work yourself it will be very expensive. Now if it was a big block, Z-28, etc. it would be worth the money and effort. Seems high to me for a base model coupe.

Realize that this is just my opinion and rust scares the heck out of me!

Jody

------------------
MY CAMARO

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 04:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I would try to find one out West without the rust. Probably a couple thousand more but alot cheaper by the time you are finished.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

I agree that is a lot of sheet metal work but keep in mind I'm specifically looking for a car to do that work on myself. If I had to farm all that out, no way would this car be worth 5500. I'm sure that's why it hasn't sold yet.
As for the cost of the metal itself I don't think it's going to be that bad if I can get by with skins. All that can be had for around 800. Then a grille is $90.
Actully he has 2 new full GM quarters, new after market fenders and a GM spoiler, but none of that is included in the 5500. He says he'll put those up for sale if the buyer doesn't want to pay extra for them. I don't think it needs full quarters though. I might try to get him to throw in the fenders.

[This message has been edited by Winch (edited 09-25-2002).]
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 04:51 AM
Senior Tech

Every darn 1st gen car you see at the car shows is a big-block, SS, RS or Z/28 (any possible or impossible combo). They are a dime a dozen and almost no way of telling what is real from what is not. Just an over-rated bunch of hooie of the "I can buy cool club". [flame me paragraph there]

I'm in the group that prefers to see the plain Jane coupes, especially those with a 327. Column shift powerglide makes me even happier. But, to each his own

BTW---I'm converting my headlights to the hide-away RS version, so apparently I'm trying to buy my way into that club also

------------------
David

[This message has been edited by djunod (edited 09-24-2002).]
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 05:17 AM
Guess

Here's a FLAME for you djunod!

Winch, it seems like the perfect car to hone your body work/welding/painting skills on. $5500 is kinda high I think though. Talk him down. The inner wheel wells might be shot too and the floors may be ready to pop through, as well as the rear frame rails. Once you take the windowsheilds out, you may not like what you see either. You might go to poking the rockers with a screw driver and find a bunch more. Consider all of that.
You can always strike a deal that you're satisfied with and bring it home, then start making that huge list of tools that you'll no doubt need.
It would be a great car to restore.... keeping the A/C, engine/trans, color, etc. I'm with djunod in that respect. Too many clones and wanna-be's around already. One of which will be mine.
Or like clill says, keep looking for something less rusted out. You can still hone your skills but it won't take 6 years and demand such a big budget, leaving you with more scratch for a tool you didn't know you needed.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 06:18 AM
Senior Tech

Someday (and not too far away either) it will be the plain Jane coupes that will be worth more... because there won't be any left because they would have ALL been converted to number matching Z/28's.

------------------
David
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 07:45 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Given the extent of the bodywork needed I would pass on that car for $5,500. If you can talk him down $1,500 I'd go for it- or get him to throw in the new sheetmetal and pay the full $5,500.

There are plenty of other cars around and you might find one in better shape (if you look long and hard enough).

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 08:27 AM
Senior Tech

I've noticed the value of a Camaro or any other car is the quality of the car.What I mean is I have seen a few base Cars that have been restored nicely with a few modifications,that have sold for more than,say a Z/28 or SS.I would much rather have a perfectly restored base car than a butchered or poorly restored Z or SS car myself.

------------------
69 Camaro SS 350 4 speed
71 Nova
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 11:11 AM

Its for sure too much!!!! Even out here in Cali, I wouldn't touch that car for any more than $2500!!! Since i buy and sell im pretty up on the values!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 04:53 PM
Senior Tech

BTW---I definitely agree with everybody that the price is too high for the amount of damage to the car. I paid less then that for mine and it was in great shape (other then what you'll see if I ever get the web portfolio up).

------------------
David
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 02, 07:25 PM
Senior Tech

Gene Stills, thank you, at least some of us have figured it out,
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 02, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Ken

Sounds like I ought to pass on it or at least see if he'll come down considerably. I suspect he won't right away and I expect he'll sell it for near what he's asking. There's one born every minute so they say. I'll check back with him in a few weeks.
Thanks all
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 02, 02:05 AM
Senior Tech

I think we a spoiled in Cal. I would agree with quikchevy way too much money. Take a vacation and come to Cal. you can find a car you can drive home with no or very little rust for that price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode