? on locating a car with no info... please help - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 02, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
69z

Hi, a few years back i saw a 69 COPO el camino (yup it was real, build sheet and all)at a small local car show. that was about 6 or 7 years ago. i talked to the people who run the show and they have no info on the car or owner. it was tripple black and the 427 engine and lots of documentation,, and for sale. unfortuanatly i didnt have the knowledge back then like i do now of these cars. im sure the owner was from here in WI but i havnt seen the car since. WHAT CAN I DO?? i want to find this car but have no info on it. any help is much apreciated. thanks! tommy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 02, 05:08 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I can recomend 2 places on the web. If it's a copo the folks at www.yenko.net will know about it and www.chevelles.com has a lot if El Camino info as well...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 02, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
69z

see this is the thing, noone knows ANYTHING about the car, ive tried. they say a copo el camino MAY exist but the reports are unconfirmed. i really want to find the car, is there any way of tracing cars in a state by make, model and color and year?

[This message has been edited by 69z (edited 09-26-2002).]

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 02, 05:01 PM

I also am from WI and have not seen the car, but would be happy to help look. I have no personal interest in an El Camino. You might make a winter project of checking with local car clubs. I am going to visit DMV archives this week but don't know if they will have 69 info. You could search for any currently registered 69 El Caminos. If they had personalized plates they may be a tipoff to the COPO or 427, etc. You could narrow down your search alot. If the car is no longer in WI but was 6 or 7 years ago start looking for El Caminos registered then less the one registered now.
Good luck
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 02, 03:33 AM

PS: WI DMV will not give out personal info. make friends with someone in law enforcment to check out likely VIN's
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 02, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
69z

hey thanks for the help! i am located in menomonie, not too far from you. also,where can i search the DMV records?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 06:58 AM

Call Janet at the DMV. her # is 608-264-7104. She will help point you in the right direction. DMV may have a website so you can do this yourself. ElCamino VIN will start different than other bodies and model year 69 will be different also. By doing a VIN search for all VIN's that begin with ElCamino Body type and year 69 you will narrow your search down to registered 69 ElCaminos. Check for lic. plate #s on these for personalized plate clues. After this that policeman friend of yours comes in handy as he/she can get names and addresses. Good Luck

PS Do you also have a Camaro. If you would like to get together and compare notes over a Lienies or something let me know we can swap #s.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 07:03 AM

Almost forgot. Records older than 7 years are stored at the Wis. Historical Society and you need to search those in person in Madison. In theory the same gag rule on owners personal info still applies but if its on the microfich it has not been removed. The staff at the socity can help show you where to begin and probablly get you pretty close.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
69z

and she will let me do this, no questions asked? i just give her the 1st partical vinand then she will give me a list of all with vins that match i assume?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 12:20 PM

Explain to her what you want to do, ie find a certain car and all you know is a partial VIN ( give her the beginning of the VIN that establishs model and year). Tell her that there should not be to many matches. She may not be able to do this herself but she should be able to direct you. If they won't give you this info you go to your police friend one step sooner. Since your motives are pure someone should help you.

[This message has been edited by hiwayman (edited 09-30-2002).]
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 12:23 PM

Hey 69Z there is a color cruise leaving out of Strum Park on Oct. 5 at 11AM. I'll be there. Were you at the Stout Car Club Show a few weeks ago.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 05:35 AM Thread Starter
69z

i wasnt, but my dad was there.. he has the z/28 but he didnt show it, we also have a 68 2wd chev truck,, CST, light blue with matching interior, 327, all stock completely restored. maybe you've seen that one there. my dads Z is a 69, lemans blue/ blue interior, dz302.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode