402 in an "F" body camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 02, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

ok here i go, im not much or a domestic type of racer, iver always worked with supra's and other imports but i have saw the effects of what a v8 can do and i am curious, this is what i need to know, my dad recently sold a truck he restored and he was paid cash and was also given a 402 from a chevelle supersport, he wants to sell it, but if i get a body for the engine he will build it, the thing is, is i dont know how easy the engine would mount up and what kind of tranny and rearend i would have to get for it, basically im in the dark with domestics, i need some help and guidence, can any of you guys lend me some advice???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 02, 10:43 PM
Senior Tech
TJ

Sounds like a typical 400 Chev small block oversized, so it will bolt right in wherever a small block used to be. Not much of a problem, really, just be sure it is a Chev sb, and then find a body that is supposed to hold a Chev sb, and slap it in. Of course, a bit more info is always nice, but from what I gather, you have a small block on your hands, which is common, and will fit in any car that sports a small block of the same manufacturer; also common. Have fun!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 02, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

it was originally a 396, then one time back in the day the warehouse that held them flooded out and they cleaned the engines up by boring them 30 over making it a 402, i was always told that it was a small bigblock, is the 402 a sm or a bb???

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
The 402 is considered a Big Block.

The factory did the same, i.e., rebore a 396 to increase cubes.

BBC attachments will apply to this install in a 1st gen Camaro.

Lots of info here at this place, just do a search, engine chassis mounts will be the big items. As I read, the mounts place the engine 1 inch towards the pass side for drvr side clearance, which is needed.

This project shouldn't be hard, but, research will be needed as well as planning.

Welcome to the club,

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR DISAPPEAR UPON RAPID ACCELLERATION"
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 01:02 AM
Senior Tech
TJ

Ah I see, the Big Block... Well, scrap any plans to put it into a 3rd gen f-body (1982 - 1992), it just isn't worth the hassle, I've tried, heh. But yeah, it will go wherever the BB was supposed to go in the first place, ie 1st Gen f-body, vans, trucks etc. Like Everett says, you just need to do some homework, after which the install won't be too bad.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

hey guys its me again, ok i was wantin to put it in a 92+ body, can it be done or is it basically a big hassle, you guys keep leavin replies, your helpin me more than you really know
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 02, 11:10 PM
Senior Tech
TJ

Well, the 92 (3rd Gen) and the years following all came with small blocks. I really have to speak out here and say not not bother with the 396 (+) in this body. It will be a herculean task to get it in, and even if you do, it will destroy every ounce of driveability the car ever had prior to. You need to go into it with both eyes open, and see your options: You have a BB, so stick it in a car that supports a BB. If you are determined on the year of F-body, then lose the BB and get something that fits.

Try this for an analogy: Would you rather try to fit into a small pair of jeans you own by losing weight, or would you rather just get pants that fit you the way you are?

To me, the math is simple: don't stuff a BB where it shouldn't be.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
If you have a '92, then, I would consider bolting in a 415 or 427 SBC from Bill Mitchell at World Products, only $8K for a 427 SBC complete. Then top off with a Holley Programable MEFI. Bitchin' car then.

GM did stuff a 502 into a 4th gen, but, with unlimited funds and expertise, one can do anything.

Otherwise, think about what BreathWeapon suggested, find a car to support a BBC.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR DISAPPEAR UPON RAPID ACCELLERATION"
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 02:05 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
I don't know if its the same size or not but Brother-in-law and I put a 400 Pontiac (w/ tranny) in a 84. Lots of custom parts, motor mounts,rad.,coils(front),tranny cross member, and such.If you don't mind doing some fab. work.... go for it.

P.S. there is a S-10 running around here with a blown big block, and is said to be in the high 9's.Very cool.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 12:20 PM
Senior Tech
TJ

Wow, a Pontiac block in an '84, that's kinda cool! I think the Pontiac is similar in physical size to a BB Chev. That must have been a chore and a half to put in, but man have you ever got some cool bragging rights there.

[This message has been edited by BreathWeapon (edited 10-01-2002).]
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 02, 08:41 PM

The 402 is the same as the BB 396, as mentioned above. However the 402 were most common in pickups and were ussually low power motors. (there are always exceptions so please don't everyone reply saying they know someone with a bad 402!)
The pontiac 400 is a sb just like chevs sb 400 they put into alot of pickups. Pontiac made some good hi-pro 400 that went in some of the early 70's TransAm's, good heads and all.
But stick with a 350 is you are going to do a small block. Why? More bang for the buck.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Starting in 1970, all 396s were actually 402s, due to a .030 overbore. They continued to be marketed (badges, decals, etc) as 396. Since the 69 Camaro model year continued into November, 1969, late 396s carriec a "C" in front of the engine code, indicating the .030 overbore. eg. JH code 396/375 became CJH. Not sure of the date this change took place, but probably August, 1969.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 09:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Does anyone know the real story why GM went to the .30 overbore?

------------------
Scott
68 SS BB project car
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 11:46 AM
Senior Tech
TJ

Maybe they buggered up a bunch of 396's at the factory and had no choice but to oversize them (rather than casting all new blocks). Or maybe they were recycling old test blocks. It could be anything.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 02, 12:29 PM
Tech Team

The original story I heard was that a large number (50,000?) of blocks were accidentally bored to final size before being set out to weather and allow time for core shifts. By the time the mistake was discovered they had to many to scrap so the decision was made to overbore, add the hot cam and release it as the SS396/375 HP. No documentation or ready references to make, just the oldest, most likely story I've heard.

------------------
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode