LT-1 pulley system problem - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 02, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

This goes out to all of those who have put LT-1's into their first gens. It looks like if I use the stock pulley bracket I am going to have to notch the passenger side valve cover so the alternator will fit. (the valve covers are tall ones). In addition it looks like I am going to have to notch the passenger side frame rail so the AC compressor will fit. This is the alternative to spending well over 1k for custom pulley system that will fit without the above mods. Does this sound right to you guys? Are there any downsides to these notches? Should I spend the money on the custom pulley system? What to do? Its always something. Nothing ever seems to fit.

thanks

bob spears

------------------
69mscle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 02, 08:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Bob,

It sounds like you're using the Camaro brackets. If I remember correctly, the Corvette brackets fit much better in the early Camaros, I believe with no mods to the frame (not sure about tall valve covers).

Jody

------------------
MY CAMARO
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 02, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Wow Jody that was quick. I am going to talk to my guy down at Speed merchant on monday about that. Sounds like it could be a winner.

thanks

bob spears

------------------
69mscle

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 02, 09:33 AM
Senior Tech

is that the LT-1 used in the early 70's Camaros. or the LT1 used in Vettes, F-bodies and B-bodies from 92-97? the hyphen makes all the difference when talking about these engines...
i assume it is the late model engine- the LT1 (no hyphen). could you get rid of the tall valve covers and live without AC? you can get an idler pulley at any GM dealer to get rid of the AC. just ask for a mid 90's 1LE AC idler pulley. probably not an option, tho.
personally, i think all the aftermarket pulley setups are fugly, while the factory setups are simple, uncluttered, and very durable. and you can get parts for it anywhere.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 02, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Novederrick,

LT1 from a 94 Firebird. I cannot get rid of the tall valve covers. There are clearance issues. I guess I could do without AC but it does get damn hot here sometime. Thanks for the input. I think I am going to notch frame and valve covers and call it a day.

------------------
69mscle
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 02, 02:39 PM
Senior Tech
J L

Send a message via AIM to fast Send a message via Yahoo to fast
vette accessories should solve all your problems

------------------
'68 Camaro (Baby) - 333, 200-4R, custom interior and paint, 12bolt going in soon
'94 Z28 (Pepe) - stock heads/cam and 3.23 gears - 12.44 @ 106+ 1.68 sixty, all motor
a few other toys
some pics on the page: http://fastz28.cz28.com
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 03:14 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Have you looked at the MARCH line of pully systems. They seem to have the wide V-belt mods for 1st gen stuff.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have looked at the March line of pulleys as well as the Street and Performance line. They are great but expensive. This project is sucking my wallet dry and I am trying to inject some reason and come up with an answer that is not so hard on the wallet. I already told the kids they are going to have to work their own way thru college if I finish this car. The cheapest thing looks like just going with the stock Camaro bracket and notching the valve cover and frame to make it all fit. I am guessing that getting a Vette bracket will be the next cheapest thing but it looks like I will need to buy new alternator, AC compressor, and power steering pump if I do that. I will check and see how much all of that is going to be. I guess I could put my kids to work right now to help pay for all of this. They do like to ride in the car.

Man I wish this were easier

bob spears

ps.......here are some pics of the engine buildup

the valve covers are nice....it will hurt to notch one
http://homepage.mac.com/bspears/PhotoAlbum3.html

------------------
69mscle

[This message has been edited by bspears (edited 10-07-2002).]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 06:40 AM
Senior Tech

You should talk to an expert, Larry, at: http://www.lnjstreetrods.com

He's done plenty of LT1 swaps into first gens and could answer all your questions. He's a great guy too.

[This message has been edited by No 'E' in Camaro (edited 10-07-2002).]
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 11:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Bspears, if you are looking for LT1 corvette accessories, give TJ a call at vette2vette.com
1-866-808-3883
1-815-287-9878
I got a 95 vette accesory bracket, tensioner, idler pulley, the power steering pump and the vette balncer and hub at a really good deal- less than $200. I agree that the march and S+P systems are WAY too expensive. I am in the process of collecting parts for a LT1 in my 68. I am going with the vette stuff and got an AC delete pulley (custom) so I don't have to notch anything and add air at a later time. Let me know if you are interseted in a AC delete pulley for the vette LT1. Is that an accell super ram on top? I have never seen that induction set up on a LT1 block before. If you have any questions, just email me and I will try to help.

Chris

[This message has been edited by 130fe (edited 10-07-2002).]
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 02, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Chris,

Thanks a lot for that tip. I spoke with the folks at vette2vette and they were very helpful. I have been told that if I use the vette bracket I will need to get a vette harmonic balancer to replace my camaro one. Jason at vette2vette was not sure about this. It sounds like I will be able to get a new bracket, alternator, and ps pump for about 500 dollars. If I need to get a new balancer then I will have to add in the cost of that. I would be interested in the AC delete pulley if you have one.

Yes that is an ACCEL super ram on the LT1. It is one of ten ever made. I guess they just were not that popular but it sure does look nice doesn't it. Thanks for all the kind words and help. I will keep you posted as to what happens.

My email is [email protected]

cheers

bob spears

------------------
69mscle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode