CE 302 engine - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 02, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

I have an X33 that i am working on. It needs a 302. It will never be numbers matching now. Is a CE 302 worth doing? I know that DZ's are around once in a while, but are rare. The bidding seems to be going slow on eBay for this CE, but will intensify at closing I am sure. What is one worth? Thanks for the input.

------------------
69 Lemans Blue X33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 02, 02:58 AM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Do you know for sure it's a CE 302? Does it have the correct pistons, crank, heads, intake, accessories? If so, it's the same as a DZ block only the letters are different. If you price out all the correct DZ engine components, it would cost you over $2000 easily to put together a true DZ302. Go for the CE and save some money. The car will look like a DZ and run like one.

------------------
Jeff H - Hugger Orange 69 Z28, original factory JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, being restored - 87 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Turbo
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 02, 05:27 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

I looked up the prefix "CE" and it states that it is a 265ci, from 1957. I thought that 302's were stamped with "MO" for 1968 and "DZ" for 1969?
Bruce

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 02, 06:53 AM
Tech Team

Bruce,
The CE designation has another meaning "Counter Exchange", i.e. a warranty repalcement or an engine purchased over the counter.

Mark
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 02, 08:14 AM
Senior Tech

I thought that CE meant Chevrolet Engine
I have a M22 in my 69 that has CT stamped on it (Chevrolet Transmission).But back to the topic IMO A CE motor would be better than an
incorrect DZ motor as far as an original equipment resto if the original block is gone
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 02, 08:18 AM
Senior Tech
Bruce

How about that, you do learn something new everyday. I guess I get a new wrinkle in the brain...
Thanks,
Bruce
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 02, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech

Is there suposed to be a difference between a DZ (302) block and a standard everyday 350 block? I didn't think there was any difference except for the 4 bolt mains. I allways thought a 302 block was just another 4" bore, 4 bolt main that was stamped with "DZ" when it was set to become a 302 motor. I'm I mistaken about this?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 02, 02:05 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

The factory 302 block is not unique. The 67-68 were regular 2 bolt main blocks and the 69 blocks were the same as any other 4 bolt main small block. The "DZ" or "MO" is just a stamped in suffix code. A truck engine used the same casting but has a different code stamp. I would guess a "CT" over the counter replacement is almost as good as a matching number engine but that is a personal subjective opinion. The only opinions that realy matter is the guy that is selling and the guy that is buying.

-Mark.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 02, 08:12 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Actually the 3970010 Z28 blocks were a little unique in that they had a N on the main caps which means nodular material, the caps were also shotpeened. low horse truck and passenger 4 bolt blocks did not have the N main caps. 69 Z28s used 3 different casting #s, 3932386 was used till approx Dec/68, 3956618 was used from late dec/68 till approx mid April/69, and 3970010 was used from April/69 till Nov/69. Not sure if the N caps came on All 386 & 618 blocks. I have seen a June/69 CE Z28 motor and it had the N caps. Hope this Helps and good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode