1987-92 Camaro Model & stock engine stats - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 02, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

Hi- I usually hang out over at Team Chevelle(see my 70 elky in my sig)
But i'm looking for info on late 80's camaros(i'm helping my girlfriend get one)

I would like to know the basic differences between the RS/Z28/IROC Z28's from 1987-1992

What engines were offered? Hp ratings? Were these all Fuel Injected engines?

If there is a good website out there with this info on it already, could someone post a link, or maybe someone could just post a quick summery...

Thanks!

------------------
Ben Rambow
1970 El Camino SS
My old 1969 El Camino
The El Camino Classics Club
"Whats the matter with the car I'm Driving? Can't ya tell that its out of style..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 02, 01:51 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
RS Came in either a v6, or a 305. Not sure if they ever put a 350 in the RS. Came with TBI (not sure if they ever came through with TPI)

IROC's basically took over the Z28 name and they came in 305's and 350's, but if it had T-Tops, it was sure to have a 305 in it from the factory. (These were all TPI's)

I believe the IROC's and Z28's had a little more of a tuned suspension and steering setup. Other than that, there are probably just a few cosmetic differences on the inside and out.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 02, 09:47 AM
David Pozzi

I had an 85 Z/28, and an 89 IROC. IROC has the 16" wheels, and stiffer sway bars.
There was a 305 with TBI, available in a non-Z/28, the Z/28 and iroc had the same engines, IROC gives you the suspension package with 16" wheels.
In 89, the 350TPI engine became an option in addition to the 302 TPI, the 350TPI was only available with auto trans, the five speed can't handle the extra twenty pounds torque.
There was also a dual-cat option that came out in 89, I had that one, it required ordering the performance axle ratio with IROC 350TPI automatic to get the dual cats.

I think the HP was 245 with the duals, maybe 230 or so with single cat 350. The 305TPI was 20 or so hp less than the single cat 350.
In 88 the auto trans got beefed up for the second time, I'd look for an 88 or newer IROC if possible. A Z/28 second choice.
Chevy lost the IROC name around 91 or 92, Z/28 was it after that, till the SS came out.

89 was the first year for the 9 bolt Borg Warner rear axle made in Austrailia. It is hard to get parts for. Other years will swap in. I think GM switched back to std rear axle in 91 or so. They still used the std axle in lower perf Camaros and Firebirds in 88-91.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 10-16-2002).]

[This message has been edited by davidpozzi (edited 10-16-2002).]

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Ben

Cool Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode