polishing glass - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Has anyone used Eastwood Companies "glass polishing" products before.

I've just recently pulled both driver's and pax's windows out of the doors and would like to make them look as new as possible again.

I don't see any major scratches, just a buch of "haze" or "oxidation".

Any advise would appreciated.

grey899
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 05:02 AM
Senior Tech

I tried to do it. And I stress, I tried to do it. In my case, I just made a big mess more than anything. After reading the instructions and several "how to" books, I realized that it takes several minutes to an hour to get out what ever haze, scratches or oxidation that you have. Keep it wet and I recomend that use an angle die grinder rather than your drill. It's easier to handle. The kit comes with the silicate powder (or something like that) and the buffing pad with the adapter. Not too expensive. At the end I just ordered new glass.

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 06:08 AM
Tech Team

Windex and fine to medium grade steel wool. Try a test area by the mounting bracket on the window to be sure it won't scratch. Worked great on my hazed over windows.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 08:00 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I second the above method, and every once in a while I'll use chrome polish on the windows to clean them up a bit. They used to do that at dealers all the time a number of years ago...

------------------
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 01:56 PM
Senior Tech

Steel wool works great on water spots and such, just make sure it is at Least 3 zeros or more steel wool i.e. 000 or 0000 the more zeros the finer.
Roger
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 02, 05:01 PM
Senior Tech

i've used the glass polishing kit many times, but it does take a lot of time to remove actual scratches especially deep ones. you must be careful on the deep scratches so you don't dish it to much or it will show. eastwood has a new system that uses a sanding disc with a air grinder that seems more for deep scratches, looks like it would work much better, but i haven't tried it yet.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 02, 04:12 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

You can try and polish tempered glass until the cows come home and you wont be able to do any good. Its to hard, thats why its called tempered glass. If the scratches bother you, you need to go buy some new glass. For what its worth, many years of experience speaking here.

------------------
Jim
67 Camaro SS Conv.
70 Challenger R/T Conv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode