ram air kit for 69 camaro - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 02, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hello,

I know ram air systems sells kits for ram air set ups, but I was wondering if anyone has made there own set up by cutting holes in the firewall to get at the fresh windshield air rather than long tubing to the front. I saw an early camaro set up that came with first gens a long time ago that ran into the firewall, but my guess is they are far and few between and if you do find them very expensive. Any one make there own similiar to that design? Any pictures would be great. I have a small block with HEI which from what I hear can give you troubles when trying to fit an enclosed air box around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 02, 01:57 AM
Senior Tech
Cameron

I have a GM cowl hood on my 69 with an air cleaner that I made myself. For some pics, go here: http://cards.webshots.com/cp-2536818...38182394akfhbj

If you would like prints of all the parts, shoot me an email. And yes, an HEI could have some clearance issues with a setup like this. I have a Mallory Unilite so I don't have any problems.

------------------
69 Camaro w/400sb and Muncie four speed http://cards.webshots.com/cp-2536818...38182394akfhbj

[This message has been edited by Cameron (edited 10-27-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Cameron (edited 10-27-2002).]
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 02, 07:47 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I think it was in 67 that GM used an air cleaner assembly that received air from the cowl plenum area. There was a large hole in the firewall above the heater box and the air cleaner snorkle was bolted to the firewall.

This set-up was not available on production cars. I have seen several pictures of Camaro race cars with this set-up. It should be relatively easy to duplicate if you have some sheetmetal working skills.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 02, 08:05 AM
Jeff

67 & 68 Z/28's could have been ordered with the Cowl Air Plenum that ran to the upper left of the firewall. Could have been in either the single 4brrl or Crossram style. Very few and far between to find one and if you did it would costs $$$$. Like the crossram intake and factory headers they came in the trunk and had to be either dealer installed or you did it in your driveway,

------------------
Jeff 67/68(2) & 69 RS's
65 442
http://hobbystage.net/camaro/hawaiiancamaro/index.html
http://www.hawaiianislandcamaros.org
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 02, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

You are correct about the setup in the 67. In fact I saw the setup on Smokey's camaro. I know they are impossible to find and would be super expensive to get one if you did, but does anyone have a really good close up picture of this setup or their own custom set up? Dont have a cowl hood and want to retain the stock hood look but still want the cool windshield air!!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 02, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

I thought factory headers and crossram in the trunk was a myth. That stuff had to be purchased seperately at the dealer.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 02, 11:11 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

Try this? http://www.camaro-untoldsecrets.com/...if/crossr4.gif

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice Wagon
'99 Venture Van
my 68 camaro

[This message has been edited by bretcopsey (edited 10-29-2002).]
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 02, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I believe the Crossram was not optional, it was an accessory you bought from the parts department. The headers were actualy optional in 67-68 but were shipped in the trunk along with the under hood cowl breather pieces and the rally wheel trim rings, caps and the spare tire. Must have been a pretty tight fit if you ordered the whole enchalada.

-Mark.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 02, 08:06 AM
stenn5

Cameron, How did you make that set up? Thats what I have been wanting to do but cant seem to figure it out? Do you have a tem plate and a list of materials? What did you roll the metal with? I was thing of taking a cowl cleaner set up and welding the hole shut and sanding it down to look like it was stock that way but I'm always worried you will see the former hole are.
Thanks,
Mike
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 02, 10:23 AM
Senior Tech

Mike,

I made a cowl induction pan too. My site is down right now, but should be up on Friday. There is a picture of it on there. I made mine out of a baking pan. It sounds strange but turned out really well, and was much easier then fabing a pan. I get alot of people asking about it at shows and suck. I just bought a 14" aluminum baking pan online somewhere, cut it down to proper size, and added a seal to the top. I then polished the pan to a shine.

------------------
68 468 700R4, and here it is;
mutert23
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 02, 08:50 PM
Senior Tech
Cameron

Mike, you have mail.

I started to make one like MarkM did, using the cake pan, but I figured since I had access to a CNC laser machine and Mechanical Desktop (souped up Autocad) that I would just design and make the parts myself. There is no reason that you couldn't cut the parts with a good set of tin snips though.

Honestly, if you could find a cake pan with the right diameter, that would be easier. The way I did it was pretty difficult and I swore that I would never do it again, but, it fits perfectly and its pretty fun telling people at shows and at autocross events that I made that air cleaner. Another reason that I didn't go with a cake pan is because most of them are coated with something or they are stainless steel. I wanted more of a stockish looking air cleaner so I had to have something that paint would stick to.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Great job on the set up of the pan guys I love it, BUT what if you dont have a cowl hood? I want to retain the stock hood but love the idea of the cool air setup. DO you think you could fabricate something with the cake pan and an inlet that goes into the firewall? Any ideas on how to go about it? Would have never thought to use a baking pan!! Love it!!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 12:15 AM
Senior Tech
Cameron

Mark67, Back to the question at hand,

If it were me in your situation, I would find a regular four barrel air cleaner that totally encloses the air filter. I would cut the snorkel off of it, then weld that hole shut then smooth everything. I would then cut a hole in the passenger's side of the housing to make a duct similar to what the 67 Z28's had. I would probably make its cross section rectangular rather than oval shaped. The oval would be difficult to fabricate without special tools. I would probably make two duct pieces. One would be welded to the air cleaner and the other would be attached to a notch in the firwall or it would go to the fresh air vents at the base of the winshield. I would connect them with a rubber coupling that I would make from a large truck inner tube that had a cross section that had a circumference that fit the sheetmetal duct that I just made. It would be difficult to find, but I think it could be done.

Good Luck,

Post some pics of whatever you come up with.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 02:24 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

For ducting, you may want to check the local home improvement store. I noticed Lowe's had a large selection of various types of ducts. They had some rectangular to circular adaptors as well-seems you could flatten out the circular section pretty easily to create an oval.

You would probably hae to use sheetmetal srews, pop rivets and or glue to put it together-I'm sure you couldn't weld that stuff.

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice Wagon
'99 Venture Van
my 68 camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode