396 Replacement value - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 02, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Am writing you guys in hopes that all of you TRUE CAMARO ENTHUSIAST can help me out with my current dilemma. I Bought a BB 69 Camaro with orig engine quite some time ago. It is a JF coded 350 hp 396 4spd car. It is orig right down to the smog pump and air tubes. The motor was tired, but ALL Correct. The complete engine was stolen with the stand just after a complete rebuild a bit ago. The Insurance company is giving me severe hell about its estimated worth. They don't seem to understand that dated 69 Camaro stuff is at a premium these days. I Called Rick's First Gen and had them send me a quote for what they could supply not counting Block, head's, and all internal parts. This total came to over 6 grand. I've posted adds on the net trying to locate replacement parts for a replacement dated block and heads I've recently picked up, and guys are mailing me back with some rather ludicrous replacement part values. For instance, intake at 325, manifolds at 375 a set, distributors at around 150-175, water pump at 150 and AC brackets 225 plus!!!. Correctness is VERY PRICEY. Can you guys give me a ball park figure of what it would cost to replace this engine complete with the correct PS pump and all Brackets with smog pump and all tubes, Rebuilt and correct as it were from the factory. My A-hole insurance company is sending an appraiser to appraise my car. This, to me makes NO SENSE, because Its not the car that was taken, it was the motor with documented receipts that was taken. This engine was 100% complete and all correct 69 BB Chevy right down to the dated plug wires to the correct 7029215 carb. Their offering is around $2,000. Please respond with Today's realistic street value so I can show the Insurance adjustor what your post are indicating a 69 Camaro complete 396 is truly worth in 2002. Thanks...Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 02, 03:51 PM
Senior Tech
Rodney

my experience with insurance is they will not pay for a motor but will call the car a total loss with engine missing on a theft recovery regardless of car value
they consider the engine as a cadistrophic
loss [did i spell that right]
you can't put a price on it because it will never be numbers matching again
let them total it.
then buy it back as salvage [as long as the titel is not considered rebuilder]
what kind of coverage did you have?
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 02, 06:30 PM
Senior Tech

I'm not a big fan of lawyers, but my advice to you is find a good one. Here in Pennsylvania you used to be able to buy your totaled car back without fudging the title, but I'm almost certain that's changed now. Once a car has a reconstructed title issued on it it's pretty tough to pass it off as all original. These coporate a**holes just don't understand the concept of collector cars. When I found my '69 Camaro back in '86 I went to the bank to borrow the $4,500 to buy it. The genius at the bank got out her blue book and told me the car was only worth $2,000. I took about 20 pictures and a collector car price guide with me the next time and just short of threatening to kill her finally convinced her to approve the loan. When I wanted to get car insurance, which I needed to keep the loan, it was worse considering I was 24 and single at the time. I have full coverage on the car, but I have no idea what I'd get for it if something bad happened. My heart goes out to you. It's a shame it was stolen instead of just be taken hostage. Let us know how you make out. And by all means the first person that tells you "it's just a car" hit 'em.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 03:29 AM
Senior Tech

I had a garage fire about seven years ago,in it I lost a 327 that was a stockcar engine .
when they asked what it was worth I said I had about 3500.00 in it but the company that built it was no longer in biussness,I didn't know what it would cost to build another.
they told me to check around and get some prices and they would do the same .

the best price I got was 9700.00 with them suppling everything.when I talked with the inslady again and told her the price she said that would be fine because she got a price of 30-35 grand.

she had called a place called wood bros racing in VA.

HA!HA!
unfortunely I wasn't into camaro's at time time and blu all the money of more stockcars and ended up giving it away pretty much!

oh! well easy come easy go!
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 04:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jack

What kind of insurance do have, collector or regular auto ?. The collector insurance covers "loose" parts as I remember. I ask as this is always a concern of mine when a car is apart.
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 06:54 AM
Senior Tech

BB69SS check out Hemmings.com. A lot of people post ads for date correct stuff. It is unlikely that you will find a complete motor though especially with the smog stuff but use the collective prices. I would estimate that the sum of parts date correct will be in the 6k ball park. I found an original LT-1 block correct for my friends 72 LT-1 Vette, the code was about two weeks older than his car. Great find. After pulling the guys BBQ off of it, we gave him $100.00. So, the point is, the prices can vary greatly.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

The engine is covered by the home owners insurance policy since it was not physically bolted in the car. The car is insured with State Farm which is an Outstanding Insurance company. The Home is covered by USAA which Totally SUCKS!!! They have been comming up with every Ecuse to prolong and get out of paying for the Engine. My Guess after searching Ebay and Hemmings Daily, To replace this Engine with everything dated will end up running a guy close to $8,000 or more. Rebuild kit and machine work is right close to 1,000 alone. Then the quest of getting the right dated stuff back is a nightmare that could take as long as two- three years to collect again.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech
Rodney

read your policy they may have a restriction on this kind of loss.
with collector insurance or stated value
you could have eliminated some of this
problem but you don't want to here this now.
did you have a burglary and file a police report.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 02:07 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

BB is correct. Since the engine wasn't installed in the car, normal auto insurance won't cover it. If it was in the garage, it will be the homeowner's policy.

USAA is a good insurance company. Just look at it from their point of view and try and figure out what documentation you would want to see if you were in their shoes. You might also talk to Jerry McNiesh. He is one of the few Camaro experts around and with several published books on the subject, I would think that his opinion of value would carry a lot of weight.
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Just tried to mail him, but his Email must have Changed. I have [email protected]. Let me know if any of you guys have his new address. The adjuster is comming Friday Nov 1 at 5:00 pm. Thanks again...Tom
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 03:12 PM
Senior Tech
Dana

Tom,

The value of the engine is one thing, but what it has done to the value of your car not having it's original #'s matching engine is a whole other story. Jerry MacNiesh is a good person to estimate your ENTIRE loss. Good Luck!

------------------
1969 RS-Z/28: Matching #'s DZ302 & M20, 3.73, Tuxedo Black, Deluxe Black Interior, Factory Tach, Clock and Console Gauges, PS, Rear Defrost, AM/FM, Spoilers, ZL2 Special Ducted Hood. Pic

2002 SS: 35th Anniversary coupe, 6 spd, all GM options plus additional SLP options: 345 hp package, floor and rear hatch mats. Pic

'69 RS-Z/28, 58K miles, all numbers match, POP & Build Sheet, in a barn since 1975. Currently starting restoration. Pic
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 04:21 PM
Senior Tech
Gene

Looks like he may be off the web. His old address was www.z28camaro.com. That site came up when I just did a yahoo search.

The phone number I have for him is 410-781-0418. His address is:

5750 Kinsmen Courage Ct.
Eldersburg, MD 21784

This info is probably 3 years old. I spoke to him about an L-89 I was looking at buying and he was helpful.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 02, 11:58 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Jerry is out on the west coast for about the next 3 weeks. He is competeing in the NHRA nationals with the Old Reliable 68 Z28. He just left Las Vegas and is heading to LA. I don't think he will be checking his email till aournd the middle of November.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 01:31 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

I would think it might be hard collecting over above what the consider normal. Its all up to the adjuster and the insurance.
The burden is on the insured to make sure the insurance is complete and everything is inventoried and you can document. If your policy does not provide for replacement cost then you could be out of luck. They are only going to want to pay what your loss really is, not what it would cost to replace something.

I was in the process of building a big garage. The builder insisted I get insurance on the materials. When I called the insurance, the girl told me it would be covered under my home owners policy, only and if I had documentation to support any loss from acts of god, vandalism, theft, etc and I paid any additional premium that may apply. So, I provided them a with copy of the builders permit, construction estimate and bill of materials. They sent me a construction rider to my policy that covered loses up to $15,000 and expired upon completion of the project.

Be advised, some insurance will not let you collect on items they do not consider to be normal to your home. It would all depend on your insurance policy. Not all are the same and vary per individual. For instance, my insurance states that is only covers if I don't have any wood burning devices on the property. My insurance would rise considerably if I were to have one and if there was a fire, I could be out of luck totally.

------------------
2002 Pontiac TA WS6 Ram Air LS1, 6sp Hurst, TCS, CD Changer - Pewter "Last of the Breed" #3124 of only 12,516 WS6 built
2001 GMC SLT Extended Cab Z71 - Polo Green

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 11-01-2002).]
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 01:51 AM
Senior Tech

I was lucky and had replacement value on my policy.I was/still with national grange ins. company.
whenI bought my house my agent was also an ins. agent,I told just to give me the normal nothing exotic,I think she gave me better then the normal,but it sure did work out for me.

I had to go through the rubble and I.D. everything(not easy)and get replacement cost,they sent me a check for 30,000 and then I had to turn in reciepts for the difference and then they paid that.
they also let me upgrade things to better stuff,but only repaid the value of the orginal.
very easy to work with,
like I said I was lucky!!!

------------------
"Drive it like you stole it"
67 454,400t,3.73's

00 SS,NBM,CHROME ZR1'S,CME
IT'S ALL FOR SALE!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode