69 Cowl Tag Missing? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'm looking at a restoreable 69 SS/RS. I've checked all the required SS options, so I'm very sure the car is original. My main concern with the car is the cowl tag is gone? How bad is this? The owner has owned the car for 5 years and he bought it that way. I know that you can get repo tags, but will they do one when it is missing completely? What are my options???? mx

------------------
69 Z/28 R/S : Daytona Yellow, Blk Vinyl Top, X33, DZ302, M21, 4.10 Posi, Blk Deluxe interior, 8k tach, console and guages, wood wheel and dash, ZL2 ducted hood, endura bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 09:42 AM
DL
Senior Tech
David

I know that most of the companies will only change the options (color, deluxe interior etc. but not the RS/SS/Z etc.!) of the car on the tag. They will not change the #sequence. I guess you could show them the VIN# behind the window on the dash.... Show them the partial VIN# under the cowl vent on the passenger side, and (if you want to remove the heaterbox) show them the # which is located under the heaterbox...... Then you, and they, will know if the car is not a repro and I think they won't make that much troubles when they know it is a legit car!!
Check this link for the exact locations of the numbers:
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#PartialVIN

Goodluck

------------------
David
I don't suffer from insanity.....I enjoy every minute of it!
'67 Camaro, blue exterior, parchment deluxe interior

Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaro_crew

[This message has been edited by DL (edited 11-01-2002).]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 1st, 02, 09:55 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
With all the Clones and knowledge out there, I wouldn't pay a premium price just cause someone said its this or that <SS,Z,RS,RS/SS> without documentation,ie: build sheet. But thats just my opinion.

------------------
My '68 Camaro
Doug G.
68 Camaro
406 ci.
[email protected] W/ 2.73POSI.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 02, 12:14 PM
Senior Tech

Without the cowl tag, there is no way to discern if the car is an SS, RS, Z28 or a base coupe. The only way to tell for sure without the shipping documents is the cowl tag. On the 69's, the x codes told the story. It is fairly easy for someone to assemble the right parts to make a clone so good that you would not be able to tell it from the real thing. I would not pay a premiunm price for a car without the documentation. The VIN itself will not ID the car as anything other than a Camaro. There is no legitimate reason to remove the cowl tag. I would be very suspect about this car's authenticity. Good Luck

------------------
69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
75 400, 4 Speed
93 Z28, 6 Speed
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 02, 11:43 AM
Senior Tech

I have an original cowl tag from an eary (small tag)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode