Low engine temp - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 02, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Well Just got an exhaust system put on my 67, (ZZ4) and put a few miles on it, but it seems the temperature guage will not go any higher than 150-160. I have an Autometer Ultra Lite electrice temp guage, sensor in the drivers side head, and I have tested the thermostat to make sure its opening. I have a new Griffen aluminum radiator. Is this normal? When we first started the motor and ran it to during the initial break-in time, it did read higher, almost 200, but since it doesn't seem to get any higher than 150-160 at the most. Now this is only driving about 10 miles at a crack, but the car should be at a warmed-up operating temp by then shouldn't it? Do I have a problem? I don't think so, but thought I'd ask anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 02, 06:47 AM
Senior Tech

If you have a 12volt power supply or spare battery, set up an experiement. Take it all into the kitchen and put the sensor in a pan of boiling water to see if you reach 212 on the meter.

-dnult
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 02, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech

It's important that you have a full 12 volts to the instrument to make it reference correctly. Some instrument feeds off the fuse block can be low, but usually only when the alternator is lacking and not charging. I don't think this is the case with yours but check to make sure.

As you have been told by a previous poster, you can calibrate the gauge but you can do this on the auto if you want. You do this by removing the sensor, leaving it wired to the system, boil water on the stove, prepare a simple jumper wire to ground to make sure the sensor will be grounded (alligator clip to ground to the threads), remove the pan from the stove and quickly but oh so carefully sit the pan on the side of the engine and dip just the end (to the threads)of the sensor and have your helper turn the ig on and watch the gauge. It should come in around 200+ degrees.

Beyond that, do you have a thermostat with holes in the center for high performance water pump usage? If so, there is enough water going thru to keep you that cool probably. My engines run about 15 degrees below the thermostat reading in cooler weather due to this aspect of a holed thermostat.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm

[This message has been edited by HOTRODSRJ (edited 11-03-2002).]

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 02, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech

my temp guage reads around the same temp in my 84, only since i put in a thermostat 195 deg. and a new radiator cap and fluched the system. is it abnormal for those temps?

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 02, 04:52 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
67killerb - what are the outside air temps during these short 10 mile runs? If the temps are cold it may just take more time to overcome the cold and warm up.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 02, 02:23 PM
Senior Tech

while on the topic, i mentioned that my temp doesnt ever get above 195 (my thermostat temp) will this affect the TVS (Thermal Vacuum Switch) temp? what is the TVS shutoff temp anyway? my efe valve stays closed because my TVS doesnt close im assuming it is a bad TVS on the otherhand i was wondering if my engine temp just isnt hot enough to shutoff the TVS? my outside temp has only been at lowest 40 deg.
my thermostat is new 195 deg

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 02, 02:45 PM
Team Member
John

What rating thermostat are you using? If it's a 160 and your cooling system has enough capacity (especially with cool ambients this time of year in your area) to cool below its rating, it will run at 160 all the time; thermostats determine the MINIMUM operating temperature. If it's a 160, that's too cool anyway - it won't get hot enough to boil off moisture, condensates, and blow-by contaminants in the oil pan.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 02, 06:38 PM
Senior Tech

its a 195 degree thermostat...i did fint out however that the TVS requires 90 degrees in order to close, and after testing the TVS in heated water to simulate the coolant, i found it is the tva that is bad, it does not close

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 10:16 AM
Senior Tech

150 to 190 is normal. are you sure that your thermostat in'nt opening too soon? I would get a new thermostst with the same temp range as the one you have now and compare the results.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 05:36 PM
Senior Tech

well i guess i should wait until i perform all test before posting...BUT! my local chevy dealer had ordered me a new tvs today ($22.00) i dont think thats bad, anyway i put the new tvs in and waited for the engine to heatup and observed the EFE valve open up as soon as the coolant temp reached approx. 80-90 degrees, so thaat made me happy. im getting better at this trouble shooting stuuf...might i add ive got the best help a man could ask for -Team Camaro. Thanks

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode