Reproduction Sills - What the Heck? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 02, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

So I cheap out and order reproduction door sils from a big name distributor. They show up, I unpack them and something is bothering me, something is really wrong but I can't put my finger on it. Then I see it. The body by fisher and chariot are upside down! The things face into the car and not out...

Has anyone else seen this and any suggestions for what I should do?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 02, 03:42 PM
Guess

My repros from Year One were fine. Send 'em back and try again!

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
1969 Wallet Crusher
- [email protected]

HwyStar's Garage!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 07:20 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

They are just stuck on. See if they are loose enough to pop off and stick them back on the other way

Just say "NO" to REPRO!

-Mark.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 09:48 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

i bought repops,and decided they were junk. Mine did not look anything like the originals so I returned them, and bought NOS. They do not have the riveted emblems, but ai bought a bunch of originals, and plan to remove two emblems including the rivet, and glue them in place of the ones with dimples to simulate the rivets.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 03:52 AM
Guess

I wouldn't try peeling the 'Coach' off... it'll just bend and crease and never stick again. Find a car in the junkyard that has the sill plates with the original emblems and drill them out that way.

Maybe I'll take a couple shots of the one's that came with my car from Year One. They look fine to me. Unless you want a 100% original car that's already a factory correct show-queen. Can't see paying mega-hundreds of dollars for something on a daily driver that you step on.

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
1969 Wallet Crusher
- [email protected]

HwyStar's Garage!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 05:03 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I may be wrong but if it doesn't have rivits it's not NOS.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 08:07 AM
Guess

I'm sure you're correct Dennis.

Take a look at this and tell me if there are any rivets.... Supposedly NOS: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1871746088

Here's a pair of original sill plates.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1871818076

More NOS sill plates: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1871655446

Does NOS and GM Restoration mean the same thing, or are they two different beasts?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 08:23 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

GM Restoration means that GM receives a royalty from the repro company because they used GM's name on the package. Based on my experience, quality and fit are no better than other repro parts without the "GM Restoration" designation.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 11:41 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Well, I just went to the basement and looked at mine. They are in original GM wrappers, have the shipping tag showing the Chevy dealer they were shipped to, and DO NOT have rivets. In fact, they do not have a dimple to simulate the rivets---they're just flat.

I would call these NOS, as they are no longer available from GM.
I think the discriptions of parts are as follows:

NOS-- New GM, but no longer available from the dealer
GM replacement -- supplied from GM, but somewhat different (Outer door handles is one example
GM authorized reproduction -- just that
GM or OEM -- original used parts
Restoration --any other repop

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 12:51 PM
Guess

Now that THAT'S settled.... take your pick James67RS.

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

My NOS sill plate still in (unopened) GM wrappers part #7644760 also have no rivets!?!?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 01:26 PM
Team Member
John

Not exactly - NOS is "New Old Stock", which are supposed to be identical in every respect to what was actually used in production, and were made during the time the car was in production; very rarely found anywhere, as most service parts were slightly different and were made after the car was out of production. What you find 99% of the time in original GM packaging is NORS, "New Old Replacement Stock", which are service replacements; they are "functionally equivalent", sometimes made from the original tooling, but not necessarily identical in appearance to the original production part (which is why they carry different part numbers in the GM system than the original production part number shown in the A.I.M.).

The sill plates currently available from GM are "NORS" - they fit fine and look pretty close, but the Fisher Coach emblem isn't riveted on. 99% of the stuff you see on eBay advertised as "NOS" is actually "NORS" ("functional equivalent" service parts, not original production parts) - you have to know exactly what you're looking for. Sellers stick the "NOS" description on everything, hoping to hose as many people as possible.

In some cases, good reproduction parts can be closer in appearance to the original production parts than current GM service replacement parts in GM wrappers, depending on how (and by whom) the GM service parts were made. GM doesn't make our old service parts - they contract that business to outside suppliers, who may or may not have access to any of the original part's tooling (if it still exists and it's worth refurbishing to work in the supplier's equipment).

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green

[This message has been edited by JohnZ (edited 11-06-2002).]
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 03:21 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

Have you seen what a pair of real NOS sill plates with the rivets sells for? I think the last pair I saw sold for over $500.

------------------
Jeff H - Hugger Orange 69 Z28, original factory JL8 brakes, cross-ram & GM fiberglass hood, TI setup, heater and radio delete, Stahl headers, Minilite wheels - being restored - 87 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Turbo
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 02, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
James

This is why I chose to purchase reproductions rather than "NOS" (or really NORS) in this instance. Usually I do not purchase reproduction parts but I could justify paying twice the price for a part that is equally as incorrect just for the GM packaging. If the NOS parts were rivited or "more correct" I could see the justification, but in the case of the sills, none of them have rivets and none of them could be correct.

This gets us back into the debate about what are you willing to pay for original parts. Whether you talk about heater deletes or rivited sill plates, if you have a high dollar concourse restoration, what is it worth to you to have these pieces? Factory original a lot harder (and expensive), especially in these times of "catalog restorations".
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 02, 03:23 AM
Senior Tech

I have the original riveted sills on my 69 and they look 33 years old. Is there a good place that they can be sent to be polished and cleaned up? I don't have any of the equipment or expertise to do this myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode