LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

what are they, on a camaro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 10:38 AM
Tech Team

They are by the cup holders, to stir your drink while you are driving! Actually, the are located on all four corners on a 67-69 convertible. They weigh about 20 lbs. each and are just dead weight. Their only purpose is to add stability to prevent cowl shake. Unless you are doing a complete restoration, i would put them where they belong... in the garbage. I don't have them and don't have a problem. I hope this helps, sorry it got so long!

------------------
1968 Camaro Rally Sport Convertible
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

You can see the rear ones in the pictures of my trunk on my site.....

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.stratagaz.com/69LM1/1969LM1Convertible.htm" TARGET=_blank>My 69 LM1 Convertible
</A>

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 11:33 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
The cocktail shalers are an important part of every 1st gen convertible!! If they didn't serve a purpose Chevy wouldn't have put them in the car to begin with!! The ragtop got several structural modifications not found on the coupe. Stiffer rockers, x-brace and cocktail shakers are 3 of the prominant modifications.

The shakers provide dampening and keep the car from vibrating as I understand it. Without the structure of the roof they are needed...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 01:17 PM
Senior Tech
Don

If anyone has a set of shakers for a 68 that they are going to throw away or don't want I'll gladly take them. Just drop me a line and I'll send cash to cover shipping!

Somewhere along the line someone removed them and the power top pump from my car. All I can think of is that they were stripping out extra weight.
------------------
Donald
68 SS Convertible (Clone or Real?)

[This message has been edited by MytMini (edited 11-05-2002).]
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 02:03 PM
Senior Tech

Dennis has got it right on!

The shakers are there to prevent resonnance and cowl shake from setting up in the front end and depending on your front suspension, unit rigidity, and some other anomolies, will be very effective in preventing such.

If you do not have them, you will eventually need them as things degradate and become sorta loosy-goosy!

If you don't have em....I would put them back in just for insurance if nothing else. Subframe connectors do help prevent some of the same ills as well.

------------------
STEVE JACK
ConceptOne Pulleys and Brackets
Northern/Southern Rodder Magazine's "Jack'Stands" author and creator
Techical forum/links at www.inccn.net/techforum.htm
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 02:48 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paulm:
You can see the rear ones in the pictures of my trunk on my site.....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul,

Your pics show the shakers well, too well. They are mounted wrong, I know because mine were like yours and I had it pointed out to me by a friend. They should set way inbord under the fender. I can get a pic if you want. It's a matter of 3 bolts and the top one uses the other hole closer to the tail light housing, the rear lower bolt should be exposed to the trunk. I believe it's a matter of turning them 180 degs. you'll appreciate the extra trunk space. I know I did...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 05:13 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

Thanks Dennis....There are two possible mounting points in there. I guess I figured that I had a 50/50 chance of being right, but guessed wrong!! I'll flip them around and see if I can get them to fit better.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.stratagaz.com/69LM1/1969LM1Convertible.htm" TARGET=_blank>My 69 LM1 Convertible
</A>
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 05:38 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I haven't found a reason for the other threaded hole on each side and they bolt in perfectly both ways...
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 02, 09:57 PM
Senior Tech

MYTMINI- I don't know if ADMIN will allow this to post, but if they do, go to team camaro classifieds. there is a guy in there named doug that is selling a complete set of cocktail shakers for $525 at https://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/cyber...hoto_size=full try it out

------------------
Chasing a dream one bolt at a time
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 03:17 AM
Senior Tech
Paul

$525 for a full set?!?!? I have an extra set for 67-8 and an extra set for 69. I didn't know that they were worth that much!

------------------
</A>
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech

I wonder how many of them are backwards? Mine were too! After I turned them around I have room in the trunk for .. Ahh well nothing really!

------------------
69 convertible
LT1 4L60E
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 01:30 PM
Senior Tech
Don

garfield... I'm to cheap to pay $525. That just sounds ridiculous to me. Is that really what they are going for? I'm looking for a set, but I hope to find a bargain. I'm in no rush at the moment so I'll keep looking.

Thanks for the heads up.

------------------
Donald
68 SS Convertible (Clone or Real?)
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 01:53 PM
Team Member
John

They're actually a big cylinder with a heavy iron piston in the middle, with a coil spring on each end to keep it centered, and the cylinder is filled with transmission fluid (through the plug in one end) to dampen the motion of the piston. Their purpose is to absorb and damp out low-frequency vibration that causes and intensifies "cowl shake" that results from having no roof structure to tie both ends (and sides) of the car together, and they're extremely effective. The same cans (with different mounting brackets) were used on the Corvair convertibles for the same reason - no frame and no roof.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 6th, 02, 03:19 PM
Senior Tech
Paul

JohnZ, thanks for the info!! I really appreciate your "inside" info on alot of these topics!

------------------
</A>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode