Rolling back odometer - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Hey all,

Checked my '69 speedo/odometer today for the first time since I bought the car 3.5 years ago. They work, but I want to roll back the odometer to Zero.
Before anyone goes insane on me, there's no reason I shouldn't. I feel it should be put back to zero seeing as how there's no telling how many miles are on the car and when I'm done recreating the entire Camaro from scratch, it might as well have zero miles on it.
I've messed with it but can't seem to get the numbers to jive properly. I don't want to break it or ruin the odometer. Is there a preferred way to roll the dials all to zero?

Thanks... (ducking head)

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
1969 Wallet Crusher
- [email protected]

HwyStar's Garage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 11:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

that is illegal. i wouldnt post that info.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech
Cameron

I don't know, but I would like to know too. Also, rolling your odometer back is not illegal. When you tell a potential buyer that the shown mileage is actual after rolling the odometer back, that is illegal. There should be a checkbox on your title that says "mileage shown is not actual" or something similar.

Anyway, the only way that I know of to roll an odometer is to attach a drill to the speedometer cable and let it run in the forward direction until it rolls over to zero. That could take a while. I have right at 90,000 miles showing on my odometer. I figured it up and it would take 5-7 days of continuous running to roll it over to zero. There has to be a better way.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 12:06 PM
DL
Senior Tech
David

A few weeks/months ago I've read a similar thing here on Team Camaro. I remember that it is NOT illegal, AS LONG AS YOU TELL THE BUYER THAT THE NUMBERS ARE NOT CORRECT..... do a search here, and you'll find it.
I guess there are only a few percent of all 20yrs and older cars have the actual numbers on the odometer, so that wouldn't make a difference. I thought you also have to tell the insurance company, or something like that, that you've changed the numbers...

Hope this helps

EDIT( I have to type faster , you beat me cameron )
------------------
David
I don't suffer from insanity.....I enjoy every minute of it!
'67 Camaro, blue exterior, parchment deluxe interior

Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaro_crew

[This message has been edited by DL (edited 11-10-2002).]
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 12:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
"Tri-Tip"

It is easier than using a drill. I just had my speedo out to refinish my dash and took it to the local repair shop to be checked. While I was talking to the repair guy I played with the numbers and they turn real easy.
Gary.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech
TOM

I would think that afer 30+ years,most of the odometers have gone around,at least once.My car only had 3000 miles on it when I got a few years ago. I only care that when 3000 miles rolls round,that I change the oil,and do what ever else is needed as the miles roll on.I just use it as a referance.I'm up to 13,000 miles now,just breaking it in.

------------------
http://www.fototime.com/inv/E695F2E9BD55636

http://hobbystage.net/camaro/tomstv
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 12:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

cvc( ca. vehicle code) section 28050 and 28050.5 indicates that you guys are correct that you cannot defraud anyone from the true mileage of a vehicle. cvc section 28051 says it it unlawful for any person to diconnect, turn back, or reset the odometer of any motor vehicle with the intent to alter the number of miles inedicated on the odometer guage. trust me. i deal with the cvc everyday.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 01:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

but if you want to turn it back, that is up to you but i wouldnt publicly announce that. if someone came up to your car and saw that your odo. guage said 000001, all you have to say is that it just rolled over. also, if you are trying to repair your odometer, and are incapable of registering the same milage as before the service of you odometer, you can put it to zero and a notice in writing shall be attached to the left doorframe of the vehicle be the person doing the service and the date.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 01:23 PM
Senior Tech

Its not illegal unless you try to deceive someone by doing it.I bought a replacement and i set it to match my current milage.I dont remember exactly what was involved but once you open it up you will see,it was very easy.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 03:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

read above. im sure most states are similiar
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 03:52 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
I think most states are like CA and knowing that most laws are in place to protect us the best thing someone in our hobby can do is accept the fact they are running a some risk tampering with the odometer. After all without that law the next used vehicle you or I buy is going to show less mileage than it truly has... That said, it's perfectly legal to replace a broken speedo with a new replacement that has a [000000.0] reading on the odometer. Although if you pay a dealer to install it they notify the DMV and keep written record of it. I know because our old family car had the speedo replace under warrantee a few years back. When you sell a vehicle (as already stated) you are obligated to state that the mileage shown is incorrect...

Personally I think it would be cool to start with a zero'd out odometer on a completely restored car. I wouldn't do it though just for the fact that the law is there and it wouldn't impact my 30+ yr old vehicle in one way or the other as I see it... I also would hate to be the guy that buys a fully restored, documented rare car with low mileage and find out later that the doc's are fake, the odometer has been rolled back and the vin tag came off another vehicle... I bring that up because the laws try to protect us and so many in our hobby are willing to take advantage because it's easy to do without getting caught. If everyone was honest life would be so different!!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Guess

Well, in NY there are no titles for cars older than 1974 or 1975. SO the only way to show the milage to anyone is by the odometer. When a car is registered in NY State, one of the questions asked is the odometer reading. One of the choices is something like 'Unknown' or 'In Excess of 999,999 miles.' Something like that.

Anyway, when I hooked the drill up to the speedo cable today to test both the cable and the speedo/odometer, the odo read something like 94,397 or something like that. I let it roll over 1 mile and the odo changed from 94,397 immediately to 3,040 miles!! Then another mile and it went to 15,039! So the odometer was messed up to begin with. I remember having it apart 3 years ago when I got the car and I probably screwed with it then..... hence the reason it took two or three revolutions to reset all of the wheels straight. I think I tried to roll them by hand and they wouldn't syncronize so I stopped.

I had no reservations about posting this question. I knew what kind of reactions I'd get. I have no desire to misrepresent the car when it's finally 'born again'. It's nothing special.... not a Z, not an SS. It came from the factory as a boring, no-option 6 cyl. automatic.

Besides, if I bought a brand new odometer, or even a working used one, THEY would be wrong also. I just wanted to know the best way to roll it to Zero without burning out my drills!

[This message has been edited by HwyStarJoe (edited 11-10-2002).]
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 05:17 PM
Senior Tech

After reading this I took a spare speedometer apart and set it back to 0000000. Seems to work, if you want joe I can e-mail you the process. Or e-mail me your phone at [email protected] it's easier to explain over the phone.
jamie
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 02, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Guess

Thanks Jamie.... got your email and that great drawing!
I'll yell if I get stuck.

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
1969 Wallet Crusher
- [email protected]

HwyStar's Garage!
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 03:19 AM
Senior Tech

If I were you, I would just by a new speedometer gauge from Autometer, they fit right in the original slot. And if the car is getting a complete ground up restoration, then it REALLY WILL have zero miles on it.

If a potential buyer has a problem with it, tell him he can take his business elsewhere.

I'm doing a complete frame-off restification of my 68 Camaro and you can bet your *** my aftermarket speedometer will read zero.

.....but then again, I'm never going to sell my car, so I don't have to worry about it.

[This message has been edited by Infamous (edited 11-12-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode