Tilt Column? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 02, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rodney

I am looking for a tilt column and need to know what years & models of cars I can transplant one from? I am wanting it for my 69 RS. I have installed a set of Fiero buckets and need the extra flexabiltity.

Thanks

------------------
69 RS Camaro (383,700r-4,12-bolt w/3.73s)
79 WS6 Trans Am (406SBC,factory 4-spd,3.23 posi)
87 GTA Pace Car Clone (350TPI,700r4,140k miles)
97 Bonneville SSE 40th Anniv. (3800 V-6, Power Everything, The little woman's car)
Check out my site and the For Sale Page http://rodsrides.freeservers.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 02, 08:49 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

I am told a 70-72 Monte Carlo fits. Any one who knows, buys a Monte Carlo tilt for $50 and sells it as a Camaro tilt, for $250!!!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 02, 10:52 AM
Senior Tech

The tilt in my 69 Firebird is out of a 69 Gran Prix. Almost any pre 70 tilt will bolt up but some are a couple of inches too long. If you can weld, you can make them fit. Cut the tube and inner shaft down by where it goes thru the firewall. You can make a 69 fit a 68 and down by removing the key assemble and filling the hole.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 02, 01:26 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

No direct interchange for a tilt column in a 69 Camaro. Only a few for the non-tilt column.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 02, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Rodney

Mark C, so you say that there is no direct bolt in? Is there a difference in length or what? Has anybody done the Monte Carlo?
PitStop, did you put that in your self?

Thanks

------------------
69 RS Camaro (383,700r-4,12-bolt w/3.73s)
79 WS6 Trans Am (406SBC,factory 4-spd,3.23 posi)
87 GTA Pace Car Clone (350TPI,700r4,140k miles)
97 Bonneville SSE 40th Anniv. (3800 V-6, Power Everything, The little woman's car)
Check out my site and the For Sale Page http://rodsrides.freeservers.com
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 02, 03:36 PM

I have a 70 Nova SS and I used a Camaro tilt wheel column and it bolted right in. I bought the column from D&R classic Camaro out of Chicago a couple of years ago. It's a stick shift column that was rebuilt. It only cost me $200 then but they're close to $400 now. Hope this helps.

Paul
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 07:04 AM
Senior Tech

Hey, I've been thinking about converting to tilt for a while, but just wondering, most of the donor tilts have the ignition switch in them, is it difficult to remove this switch/cylinder? and after you remove it, will the steering still lock?

Also what about 1970-81 Camaro/Firebird columns are they interchangable? I know that some chevy vans had tilts with no ignition switch in the early 70s, anyone ever try one of these?

thanks
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 07:40 AM
Senior Tech
Bret

For what it's worth....

There was an orange 68 featured in a lot of the mags over the last year or so that was stated as having a tilt column from a 1980 Chevy van. No other particulars were given as far as mods were concerned though.

------------------
Bret Copsey
'68 Camaro base coupe
'92 Caprice Wagon
'99 Venture Van
my 68 camaro
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 01:09 PM
Senior Tech

To wildcatz and team canada
I've done a couple of tilt columns, 2 for myself and a couple for friends. Any older GM tilt column can be made to fit a Camaro. It won't be "CORRECT" but it will work and on most you would have to look real close to tell the difference.
The top part of the column where it bolts under the dash is the same. The difference is the overall length. I has been a couple of years but if I remember correctly, the full size cars are about 4 inches too long. As I said before, you can cut and weld them at the fire wall end and it won't be seen because of the boot on the floorboard.
The're 3 shafts that have to be shorten.The outter housing that you see. The inner tube which is used as the column shifter or reverse lockout on a 69. The inner shaft which actually steers the car. The only one that is critical is the inner most shaft. It is two pieces that slide and are held together with a plastic filler. Suppose to collaspe in case of an accident. Weld as far away from the plastic as you can, so as not to melt it, and if you are not an really good welder, pay somebody to do it,because this does steer the car.
As far as using a 69 column in a 67 or 68, and you want the key gone. Take the upper housing that holds the key assembly and grind of the part that sticks out that holds the key. Be careful to keep the shape round. Clean up the hole good like you were going to paint it and fll it it with JB WELD. Fill and sand till it is perfectly round and paint it to match.
My 68 has a 69 filled column and it has held up for 6 years now. The streering wheel will not lock if you do this. The key assembly has a gear on the the end which moves the rod that locks the wheel.
Anymore questions let me know.
I had to have a tilt because of the big lump that grew above my belt after I turned fifty.
Bill
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 02, 05:56 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Check out Flaming River for an all parts new column. They are about $300. The problem I found was their 69 column did not have the provision for a key.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air (not yet installed)
700R4 TPI transmission
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 06:53 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Watch ebay. Going rate is about 250, but occasionally they go for much less--especially column shift. you could grind and fill the bowl as for the key, above, or look for a junkyard column that you could pirate the bowl off of.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech

Hey Pitstop, thanks for the info, I'm going to a wreckers, see what I can find, and email you later on..

Thanks
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 11:29 AM
Senior Tech

I'm going to add a little to my previous post. I have never payed more than $25 for a tilt column. You can buy column shift tilts out of older GM cars cheap, one because they are more common especially in Buicks and Pontiacs, two most Camaros have a console floor shift and people don't want a useless shift lever hanging of the column.
If it is a 69 column shift tilt column,and it is going in a 69, all you have to do is remove the shifter, grind down the bowl where the shift lever went in, and fill with JB WELD. All of the 69 featues will still work, wheel will lock and linkage from the trans will still work the reverse lockout. Remove the shift indicator, buy the correct turn signal and tilt lever and flasher knob, once painted no one would ever know.
If it is going in a 68, remove the key as I explained earlier, Then 69 featues such as lockout will not work, but 68 didn't have those features anyway.
GM used the same turn signal switch and neutral safty switch so electrics are not a problem.
You can do a little work or spend 300 dollars, both ways work.
Bill
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 11:32 AM
Senior Tech

Hey, can you recommend any donor cars??
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 12:17 PM
Senior Tech

Team Canada
If I was going to the bone yard for a tilt, if you can find one that still has pre 70's cars, look at 4 door Buicks, Pontiacs,Olds not so much Chevy. These were the more expensive cars and more likly to have options.
Thing to remember that in the 70's there was a lot of difference in GM models but GM engineers tried to made as many parts as they could fit as many different models as they could. To save costs I guess. I remember in the 70's that a Olds or Buick part costs twice as much as the same part for A chevy.
Look at your non tilt column closely, and when you get there, you'll be surprised when you see the same thing in other models.
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode