4spd floor shift ident- torched or cut? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

Does any body out there know what the 4spd hole on the floor board is supposed to look like? Is it a torched oval hole or a clean rectangular cut out. I have seen both. Also on both cars I didn't notice the round hole provision for the auto cable up front. Both of these cars appeared to have orig foot pedals in the car with the speedo cable coming out of the firewall. Is this maybe a early production change in the plant from stamped to torched or???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 06:37 PM
Tech Team

In the '80s, I know the Malibu's had the 4 speed shifter hole blown out with a cutting torch, hand done following a metal template. Pretty crude. Our Baltimore built '69 Chevelles have the hole torched out as well.

[This message has been edited by Keith Tedford (edited 11-14-2002).]
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 02, 08:42 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Hello, Dont know if this will help, but my 69 Z28 with GM documentation has the hole torched out, the same basic shape as the rubber shifter boot. It is a 2nd week of June Car.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 08:21 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

My '69 3-speed on the floor car had a stamped hole cut for the shifter. The 3-speed hole is a different shape and is larger than the 4-speed hole.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 02, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tom

Now that makes sence. There is a stamped out hole car on Ebay right now from Fl Thanks for the help once again

Tom
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 02, 02:47 AM
Tech Team

I can relate to the question. I purchaced a 69Z with documentation. I got a very sick feeling when I saw the "gash" in the floor thinking maybe my car was automatic (and not a Z). "The factory could not have done that cut"! Well come to find out they not only "could" but "did". Hard to believe hu? Guess that's one of the things that make these cars special. John
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 02, 03:17 AM

My 28,000 mile Z has the hole torched as well. It was cut from the underside of the car, as the slag is on the inside.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 02, 10:22 AM
Senior Tech
Matt

I am making my 67 a 4sp and need to know does the hole follow the oval indents on the tunnle or does it go some place else? It is at the body shop getting painted and if it follows the oval I will have them cut it while it is there.
Thanks, Matt.

------------------
67 Camaro 350 4sp PDB,PS,Hotchkis suspension,Intense Blue Pearlcoat,and lots of new metal
building it my way!!
[email protected]
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 02, 04:55 PM
Jeremiah

My 34,000 original mile 69 Z/28 was torched also.

Good post!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 03:24 AM
Apprentice
Ken

I dont think the method is unique to a Z.
I have a standard coupe with a 4 speed and the hole was torched. Mine looks like it was done from the inside of the vehicle.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 06:03 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Try these picture links: http://www.surfari.net/~scottmoo/tunnela.jpg http://www.surfari.net/~scottmoo/tunnelb.jpg
The second picture at the very bottom shows the plate on the bottom. It is very similar to the rubber boot hold down ring.
The tunnel holes are for a 4spd Saginaw with Muncie shifter. I've heard 3spd holes are located differently. As you will see the 4spd hole is toward the driver's side. The ruler is pretty centered on the tunnel.

The tunnel is not exactly centered in the floor. It angles to meet the pinion. I've always wondered if this adds to the sagging problem on the drivers side.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 02, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

Send a message via AIM to ChuckD Send a message via MSN to ChuckD
Indeed....my 69Z is original....and the hole was torched, but a bit of primer was applied after the cut. The local Camaro Guru says this is the way it was. He has always been right on, so torch is correct!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 10:06 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Bonecrusher, Is that a 68 in the photo? Do 69s have the reinforcement as shown in your pics?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 01:25 PM
Team Member
John

4-speed 69's had the large hole and the clearance holes for the screws pierced in the front floor pan in an off-line fixture, and the reinforcement ring was then spot-welded in place before the floor pan was placed on the underbody build truck. If this off-line operation was "missed" due to a scheduling error, the hole was cut in Body Shop repair with a template and a torch and the reinforcement was mig-welded in place, all from the inside of the car. My original '69Z has the clean pierced holes and spot-welded reinforcement ring; must not have gone through the Body Shop on Friday night or Monday morning

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech
Gary

We're indeed fortunate to have a guy like JohnZ around!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode