9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 04:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Re: Kwik Lift??

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpens24 View Post

How is that center crossmember thing for raising the vehicle to take wheels off while on the lift? Ever use it? Is it in the way and more trouble than it's worth? Did you get the version with the casters so you could roll the car around?
Looks like they changed the product a bit. I have the powder coated version but mine is rated at 7000#'s which was optional at the time. I have 1 center bridge but I have never used it. The bridge is very stout and stable but I didn't feel comfortable using a bottle jack on it. I did not get the casters but you can scoot it around a bit with the end jacked up on your floor jack (no car onboard).
pittpens24 likes this.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 10:51 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
Honestly for the difference in price I'd go with the Max Jax!!!
yeah i would agree with that - only think that would be of concern is if you could open the door to get in/out of the car or if you would have to pull a Dukes of Hazzard

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 11:03 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
yeah i would agree with that - only think that would be of concern is if you could open the door to get in/out of the car or if you would have to pull a Dukes of Hazzard
You can open enough to get in and out just not all the way open

on sale now for 1699 with free ship

post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 11:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan

I picked up a scissor lift about 5 years ago off of CL for $250. I did have to build full length car ramps for clearance but it works great. For transmission or exhaust work under the car you need to use jack stands on the corners and lower the lift so you can get under the car. But even that is so much easier than doing it the old fashioned way of slowly lifting front and back manually. I've R&R'd the tranny twice (don't ask), replaced the exhaust, front and rear springs, dropped the 12-bolt for cleaning and painting, all brakes, a-arm pushing etc. It's been a delight to use and takes up little room.
pittpens24 likes this.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 01:50 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Scissor lifts look like they would be great for body work, cutting and buffing etc.

Don
pittpens24 likes this.

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1969 Z28 factory air project
- sold
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 18, 05:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

They are very good for cutting, buffing , and assembly.My back has a few disk issues, so no bending is a plus.
pittpens24 likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 18, 03:22 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Scissor lifts look like they would be great for body work, cutting and buffing etc.

Don
The restoration shop that did my car had one and that is exactly what they used it for. Also for masking and even used it for spraying so they weren't blowing dust off the ground.

572 BB - CM Engines
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 18, 03:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
You can open enough to get in and out just not all the way open

on sale now for 1699 with free ship
Gonna reach out and see what the lowest lock position is. I would imaging they would be lower than a traditional lift for doing creeper work. Worst part of working on a car is either having the car in your face from not being able to get it high enough or the opposite where it is too high and awkward to reach up and do that 1/2 sit-up at the same time - Those of you who had lifted vehicles know what I mean

572 BB - CM Engines
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 18, 11:06 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
Honestly for the difference in price I'd go with the Max Jax!!!
X2, I have the MaxJax. Absolutely love it.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 18, 03:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhodgdon400 View Post
my issue is not just ceiling height but overall space. I'm jammed up in what the call an "oversized" one car garage. I'd have to measure but I'm thinking my whole space is about 12'x24' or so. i have room to open both doors all the way and if i pull the car in to where the rear bumper is right at the door I've got about 8' in front but my work bench / tool box and everything is there. the motorcycle has to live in the shed out back with the lawn mower and stuff. feel crummy about that. I'm not sure if i realistically have room for even the maxjax. running out of storage. really inconvenient and other than the garage, i love my house and property. don't want to move but i might have to build in the future......maybe I'll dig a pit...lol
There's so many variables when it comes to different styles of lifts. If I had the space and height, I'd definitely have a 2-post lift. But I've got a 2-car garage with one 16-foot door. The SUV is parked next to the Camaro and its around 2 feet between the two cars, and I have maybe 3 feet on the PS of the camaro, 2 feet on the DS of the Cayenne. Nobody is allowed to exit or enter the Cayenne on the PS in the garage LOL, and of course I'm extremely careful opening my door when I pull in. There's just no room for a permanent 2-post, and if I used a "removable" system... it means moving the other car outside while I'd setup, work and remove.

The scissor jack has plenty of limitations, but its never in your way when you pull into the garage. You just drive over it. Its not great for muffler work, although my PYPES 3" X-pipe system I installed in my garage on the floor on jackstands because its a pretty modular system. So I think having the car 4 feet up in the air would've made that a little smoother. Couldn't get my front sway bar in on jackstands because I couldn't tilt it at the angles needed to thread it in there. But on a scissors lift it would've been fine because while we used a regular lift, the swing needed was more like 3 feet. Oil changes would not be a problem, but I'd expect transmission/clutch work might be somewhat inhibited. Like I said earlier, everybody has their own dimensional and logistical issues.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 18, 05:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
X2, I have the MaxJax. Absolutely love it.
Please enlighten me on the MaxJax. I was online reading reviews and read more negative than positive. Mostly issues with leaks from the cheap fittings and bleeding the system so it operates smoothly. Any issues with yours? Also EVERY negative said customer service was an absolute joke which kind of scares me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57vette View Post
There's so many variables when it comes to different styles of lifts. If I had the space and height, I'd definitely have a 2-post lift. But I've got a 2-car garage with one 16-foot door. The SUV is parked next to the Camaro and its around 2 feet between the two cars, and I have maybe 3 feet on the PS of the camaro, 2 feet on the DS of the Cayenne. Nobody is allowed to exit or enter the Cayenne on the PS in the garage LOL, and of course I'm extremely careful opening my door when I pull in. There's just no room for a permanent 2-post, and if I used a "removable" system... it means moving the other car outside while I'd setup, work and remove.

The scissor jack has plenty of limitations, but its never in your way when you pull into the garage. You just drive over it. Its not great for muffler work, although my PYPES 3" X-pipe system I installed in my garage on the floor on jackstands because its a pretty modular system. So I think having the car 4 feet up in the air would've made that a little smoother. Couldn't get my front sway bar in on jackstands because I couldn't tilt it at the angles needed to thread it in there. But on a scissors lift it would've been fine because while we used a regular lift, the swing needed was more like 3 feet. Oil changes would not be a problem, but I'd expect transmission/clutch work might be somewhat inhibited. Like I said earlier, everybody has their own dimensional and logistical issues.
I hear you. I already know a scissor lift is not for me. I have used one at the restoration shop and like that it is movable if needed, but if I am spending that much money on a lift, I want it to be the most forgiving in working on the car. The only draw back of a 2 post lift for me is the same as you to an extent. I have a 2 car garage and the thought of a 2 post lift being there and trying to walk around the car and just detail it would not be easy unless you used a MaxJax and took it apart everytime - not sure if it would be worth the effort. I do love the Raceramps that John suggested earlier, but they are more than the MaxJax or Kwik-Lift. Honestly I love the idea of a 2-post with the exception of the leaking and potential hydraulic failure. Decisions decisions

572 BB - CM Engines
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 18, 05:50 AM
Senior Tech
Don

Quote:
Honestly I love the idea of a 2-post with the exception of the leaking and potential hydraulic failure. Decisions decisions
These hydraulic lifts have safety latches and you never leave the cylinders with pressure on them. The car rests on the stops. A hydraulic failure will not cause the car to drop to the ground.

I also only use lifts that are certified.

Don

1969 Camaro LSA 6L90E AME subframe and IRS
1969 Camaro vert LS3 4L65E Ridetech level 2 - sold
1959 El Camino project
1969 Mustang Sportsroof project

1956 Cameo project - C5 drivetrain
1969 Z28 factory air project
- sold
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 18, 01:19 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage

Quote:
Please enlighten me on the MaxJax. I was online reading reviews and read more negative than positive. Mostly issues with leaks from the cheap fittings and bleeding the system so it operates smoothly. Any issues with yours? Also EVERY negative said customer service was an absolute joke which kind of scares me.

I hear you. I already know a scissor lift is not for me. I have used one at the restoration shop and like that it is movable if needed, but if I am spending that much money on a lift, I want it to be the most forgiving in working on the car. The only draw back of a 2 post lift for me is the same as you to an extent. I have a 2 car garage and the thought of a 2 post lift being there and trying to walk around the car and just detail it would not be easy unless you used a MaxJax and took it apart everytime - not sure if it would be worth the effort. I do love the Raceramps that John suggested earlier, but they are more than the MaxJax or Kwik-Lift. Honestly I love the idea of a 2-post with the exception of the leaking and potential hydraulic failure. Decisions decisions
Greg, I have had the Maxjaxx for 5 years now. I mounted it permanently, meaning the hydraulic controller is mounted to the wall and not on the hand truck that came with it. I used my OWN custom made hydraulic hose with quality fittings. I have had NO leaks in five years and would purchase this lift again. I do have a lil fluid sweat from bottom of drain on reservoir. Teflon tape would of fixed that. I left it. I'm guessing the negative reviews were from guys who are not mechanically inclined LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	372.1 KB
ID:	222071   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1281.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	222073  
pittpens24 likes this.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode