Winterizing the car ? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 02, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Question, I have an electric fuel pump with a cut off switch under the dash.
The car will be laid up for about the next 5 months due to winter.
I have put stabilizer in the gas tank and filled it.
My question is, should I cut off the electric fuel pump and allow the carb to run out of gas, or should I just shut off the car with gas in the carb.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 02, 01:07 PM
Senior Tech

Good question. I winterized my motorcyle one year and drained the carbs for good measure. When I went to use it next spring, they were so varnished up that the floats were stuck. The float bowls were full of white powder and yuck. I alwasy thought after that I would put stabilizer in, run the motor until the fuel bowl was full of stabilized gas and leave it. I suspect that even stabilizer can evaporate and leave the same mess. Not sure.

If I were storing for longer than a few months, I would be inclined to drain the carberator, remove the bowls and blast them with WD-40 or something until they were wet. Perhaps that would prevent the varnish buildup. Might be good for the jets / air bleeds etc. also. Silicon spray would be better for the gaskets, diaphrams, and other rubber components. Old Holley fuel pump diaphrams will turn to a concrete-like substance after setting dry for long periods of time.

-dnult
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 02, 01:45 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
Running the gas out can dry up your seals, but it isn't going to be sitting that long, so I would probably run it out of gas. Don't forget to run out your secondaries too.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 02, 05:26 PM
Senior Tech
frank

I'm with dnult on this one. Take out one bottom bowl screw on both bowls and drain the gas out. You can either take off the bowls and fog everything real well with WD40 or spray right into the vent tube. Also spray into all of the air bleeds, and hit all the air bleeds with a shot of air before you fire your car up.With my own car this fuel thing is a constant battle.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 02, 06:46 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

What the heck is winterizing? Never mind, gotta run. My girlfriend has the camaro loaded and waiting for me. We're heading to the beach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode