Found a big block 69 pace car under tarp - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well, I found it. The car-lover's fantasy: Under a tarp I saw a white rear valance of a 69 camaro sitting behind a house in Chico. I snoop around a little and decide to ring the doorbell. A 12-year-old girl comes to the door and says it's her mom's car but I can take a look at it. I untie the rope a little and see the rear spoiler's got some orange rally stripes painted on it. I feel the convertible bows underneath the tarp, and tug at the front of the tarp and see a "96" hanging vertically on the front of the fender. More snooping eventually revealed an original paint, 396/375 Muncie 4 pace car with 38,785 original miles, original rallys, top, etc. Everthing worked, the lady drives it about once a month, and the interior was redone perfectly by a pro about seven years ago. The car was beautiful (though unrestored), and very, very very rare. She, of course, was holding on to it because her son had "loved it since he was a baby", and was apparently going to inherit this car as soon as he got his sh-- together. She also knew a little about its value and that it was rare; owned it since '76.

Just sitting there I would give it about a $20,000 price tag, from research I have done. Any advice on how to get this car away from these folks would be appreciated. And yes, Z11 on the tag....Norwood car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 04:34 PM
Tech Team

Take a sincere attitude, a briefcase full of cash and go from there .
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 04:41 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
It's been my experience that a running project 350 Z11 with lots of mileage, needing body and paint as well as some drive train refreshing and a bit of interior work will fetch $17000 -$20000 I found several fiting that description and price about 4 years ago. Every seller knew they had a "rare" car and acted insulted with 12-15K offers...

The car you describe for $20K would be a find and a half. I'm thinking $25K might get you closer but if they realize the ramifications of a 375hp mill and less than 40000 miles it might not be enough...

Keep us posted on your progress.

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 06:22 PM

"I'm thinking $25K might get you closer but if they realize the ramifications of a 375hp mill and less than 40000 miles it might not be enough..."

sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh,,,,I'm trying to get a "plain jane" '69 for 25oo.oo,,,seriously though,,,,18-25k wouldn't be nothing in 5 yrs.,,,my opinion,,,be worth more than a house,,,,,at least mine
good luck!!!!!!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 02, 08:36 PM
Jeff

It will take more than 25K to get you a true 69 pace Car with a 396/375HP orginal engine.
Also a word to the wise, a 12 yr old's OK to take a look at the car thats under a tarp should never have been the OK to do so. Now if the lady (owner) said so now thats a different story

Model: CONVERTIBLE PACE CAR
Weight: N/A
Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: N/A
Low Retail: $14,100
Average Retail: $26,800
High Retail: $43,100

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optional Equipment
Add-396/375 HP V8 Engine: 45 %
Add-4 Speed Transmission: Low: $675 Avg.: $850 High: $1,075

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Totals
Total Low Retail: $21,120
Total Average Retail: $39,710
Total High Retail: $63,570

[This message has been edited by HawaiianCamaro (edited 11-24-2002).]
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 02, 03:29 AM
Senior Tech

wow that is big price's , just who could buy a car like that , I know that the most expensive thing I will ever own is my home and it was 19K , I will be the rest of my life paying for that , would be a lucky guy that could lay down 25K and up for a car ,
nice to dream about though
that sure doe's sound like a rare find , did you take a pic?????

------------------

ADVENTURE'S IN RUST REPAIR and professional daily driver quality paint !!!!!!!!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 02, 03:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

i figure a cost of about $32.00. $7.00 for duct tape, $15.00 for shovel, and another $10.00 for rope. 2 hours labor and your done.

anyway, that is a GREAT find. if she knows what she has, she probably would not get rid of it unless someone comes by with that hugh briefcase of money, and i mean lots of it and probably more than what its worth. but if she really knew what she had, she would not be keeping it under a tarp.

[This message has been edited by angelglo (edited 11-24-2002).]

[This message has been edited by angelglo (edited 11-24-2002).]
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 02, 06:21 AM
Retired
Jim

Here is one in Hennings right now, WOW they are pricey. But so nice looking too
click
http://www.hemmings.com/dealers/getp...5Fdealer%3A%20

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1, Balanced, TRW forged pistons, .30 over, TH-350 auto.,
Dover White,Blue Vinyl top, F&R spoilers,pdb, close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi., A/C, fold down rear seat
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 02, 09:23 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

I think anything under $30 is a great deal for the buyer. Maybe you could ask her what she would pay for the car? If you owned it and she had cash would she give you $20k?, $25k?... Keep going up on the price and where she says "no, I would not pay that" should be your purchase price. Offer her that amount and she may have talked herself into the logic of selling the car.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 02, 03:31 AM
Senior Tech

Why not explain to her the cars significance and tell her that this car should never be put back on the road.. Take your current car, if it looks good and is complete-and ask her to trade for your car and maybe some money. This way, her son gets a cool car to drive on the road-that is already insured, inspected, and road ready-and the Pacer is not destroyed by some idiot out on the road, or torn up by her irresponsible son..

That car is far too important to risk in the hands of anyone who is anything less than Camaro friendly..

------------------
1969 Camaro SS 350-383ci., T-56, 12 bolt, Eaton posi, 3.31 gears, 4 wheel disc, Deluxe black houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, tilt steering, console w/AutoMeter gauge package, center mntd. clock, Tach.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 02, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Go69, that's exactly what I was thinking....my 67's getting body/paint right now, and I'll have about 10K into it, totally restored when I get it back. I was considering going over there with my ride and some cash and test the water.

Also, she told me she had an 18K offer a few years ago, but made it sound like after time had passed, it may not be worth that much now. I quickly agreed with her, and told her about how many thousands it would take to get it restored.....I just hope she doesn't say "what the hell" and throw it on ebay....
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 02, 03:45 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
SEE, it's not just me. It must be the area. No. Calif. Nantukett, ever get up around redding? I'll show ya a 67 in pieces under a tree the guy thinks he'll build someday. (You can't be serious if you leave the windows down & let the oak leaves & rain fall inside & the motors been sitting so long it's half buried in the dirt.)

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 02, 12:58 PM
Tech Team

I dont think you should try to take her car from her for less than its worth.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 02, 02:06 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

nantuckett 67
Keep us posted. If you end up getting the car let me know, I'd love to take a look at it. I'm in Chico also.
Doug
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 02, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Yeah, we'll see. And sorry, F_Jackie, but when it comes to factory big blocks, all my cuth and conscience go out the *^##@$% window...gimme a break. Besides, it's not some hillbilly lady raising her kids on gubmint cheese....it's a nice neighborhood and she doesn't appear to need the cash, which is half my dilemma.

Any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode