Routine - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 02, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

What kind of sevice routine would you guys think would best serve my 69Z with the 302? For example oil change every three months or 3000 miles. Also what oil, plugs, plug wires and other regular sevice products do you recommend? Is one distributor cap better than the other? I live on the Florida panhandle which I assume does effect some product choices such as oil weight. What about the Muncie tranny? This may be a stupid question and I've never heard of anyone doing it but wouldn't it make sense to change out brake and power steering fluid much like the motor oil? Long weekend coming up and I plan on spending some time in the garage so any advice or recommendations you care to offer up will be greatly appreciated. Most importantly everyone have a safe and HAPPY THANKSGIVING! I should add that my Camaro is not driven daily but I do get her out regularly and let her stetch her legs. Thanks guys!

[This message has been edited by dz3oh2 (edited 11-26-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 02, 05:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Garage
Hi DZ, I'm not an expert on parts choices but AC delco parts should be fine. I don't really see any reason to go with $2-3 platinum plugs for example. I run 20-50W Castrol in my 327. I don't run the car when it's 30 or even 40 degrees outside anyway so this viscosity isn't too thick in my opinion. Now, if I lived in the upper midwest or alaska, it'd be a different story. As far as the trans goes, do you know when the gear oil was last changed? If you don't, I personally would change just so I knew how fresh it is. 80-90W is fine for it. Flushing the brake fluid is a good idea too, something I don't do nearly enough on my vehicles. It doesn't need to be done like oil changes, but if it's very dark or black looking you may want to do that as well. Power steering fluid is something I've never changed myself. But if the fluid looked contaminated to me, I would. You may even want to check your rearend while your at all this. If it's a posi make sure you add the additive with the gear oil as well.
I don't know how long you've had your Z, but I've always gone thru any vehicle new to me & changed out fluids right away so I know where the vehicle stands for my maintence records, and I have piece of mind about it.
Have fun.

------------------
Steve
67 396 race car project
67 SS 396,4-sp mothballed for resto
67 RS 327,4-sp
72 RS 350/350, under current resto
69 4X4 suburban 350,4-sp
73 3/4 ton 454/400
Stevo Camaro's Toy
Our Muscle Cars
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 02, 05:47 AM
Retired
Jim

Id recommend you run 10-w40 Synthetic oil, and change it once a year with depth type filters, change them at 6 months. Also use Syn fluid in tranny and differential.
AC parts like plugs etc are good. Warm your car up before driving, newer cars are start and go, but not the old ones. I will be in the panhandle in Feb. maybe we can get all the camaros down there to gather and yak
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1, Balanced, TRW forged pistons, .30 over, TH-350 auto.,
Dover White,Blue Vinyl top, F&R spoilers,pdb, close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi., A/C, fold down rear seat
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 02, 06:22 AM
Tech Team

With the tranny being a muncie, I would be hesitant to run the synthetic tranny fluid. Everything I've read on the Muncie's says they do not like synthetic fluid. You might check out www.gearzone.net They have some great information on the Muncie trans.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 02, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for the responces. That's the kind of advice I was looking for. The time you guys take to help us novices out is apprecited more than you know. If there are others with an opinion jump in, knowledge is power. I purchased the AC Delco R43S plugs, Accel 8mm plug wires, Sorensen tune-up components (distributor cap, rotor, condensor and points). Is this stuff ok or should I upgrade? Click keep me informed we'll hook up, I'm looking forward to it.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 02, 10:56 AM
Team Member
John

The R43S plugs are too cold for normal street use - you'll probably experience some fouling and missing with them. I run R45S in my '69Z for normal driving and they cured a recurring fouling issue I had with 44's. 43's are race plugs.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode