Radiator Coolant - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 02, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I am getting ready to install an aluminum radiator in my 68. I asked the manufacture what kind of coolant to use and he said any of the three types would be fine. What are your recommendations/comments on this? I did a quick search but didn't find anything specific about this. I did see some comments about the orange stuff which concerned me. I did a power flush before I removed my old radiator.

Thanks, GR868
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 02, 05:23 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

If the system is flushed and clean, there is no left over "green" antifreeze, I suggest you go with the orange. It lasts longer and I feel, better for aluminium components.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 02, 03:29 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

I decided to go with the G-05 based fluid, which has been used in Mercedes and Volkswagen for years, and more recently in most DaimlerChryslers, and Fords. It is supposedly compatible with traditional green stuff, which the GM-dexcool definitely isnít. I based my decision on two excellent articles published this year in Car&Driver by Patrick Bedard. Patrick Bedard is a Hemi nut concerned with protecting his old cars. He did some serious research, including interviews with chemists from major coolant manufacturers and concluded that older cars should stick with the green stuff or this new G-05 stuff. Apparently the GM Dexcool is very aggressive and only works in cars designed specifically for this coolant as it may damage gaskets, seals and corrode metal not alloyed specifically to handle Dexcool. The G-05 coolant on the other hand, is supposed to have better anti corrosion characteristics than the green stuff, yet be gentle enough for our keepers. Patrick also mentioned the other new stuff used in heavy duty trucks, which can last up to 300,000 miles. However, he thought that might also be to hard on old cooling systems. Zerex sells the G-05 stuff and Ford sells it as ďpremium gold coolantĒ. I started using it in May and it seems similar to the green stuff, except for a urine-like color and slight chlorine odor. Anyway, after reading the article I felt confident in the G-05 stuff. Iím not sure what months the articles were published, perhaps May and June, 2002.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode