How long will this take? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 02, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I am dropping the 69 off to have the old SBC and TH350 removed and a new stroked LT1 and 4L60E installed on Monday. In addition I am having the old dash removed and a new DS&E dash with autometer gauges installed. They will also be smoothing the firewall with the DS&E firewall kit. Including dyno tuning how long do you guys think this should take. Days...Weeks......Months?

Any speed shop expertise would be appreciated.

cheers and happy holidays
I hope my Christmas is coming early

bob spears

------------------
69mscle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 02, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech

What did the shop tell you? In general, whatever they say, double it. If paint body work is involved, quadruple it. My 3 month paint/body work job is now almost up to one year, so I feel your pain. For what you've described though, I'd think at least a month, if not longer......KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69 SS/396 CLONE!

<A HREF="http://hobbystage.net/camaro/69ss396" TARGET=_blank>Hobbystage Texas Tornado Website

</A>

North Texas Camaro Club
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 02, 09:17 AM
Senior Tech
Don

We're talking months... at my shop anyway.

The electronics, and fuel system changes always take longer and cost more than first estimated. Add the dash, and the firewall metal work, and we have a major project there.

Factor in the unknown gremlins, never fails....

I'd be looking for it in the Spring sometime....

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTop
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 02, 07:23 PM
RSS
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

BSPEARS:
I agree with KZ1000ltd and also ZZ430DropTop67rs. I bought a 69 coupe a while back and am doing all my own mechnical work. I also did the dash and glass work
myself. I decided on a body shop and dropped the car off on July 3, 2002. They are restoring the body and repainting the car. They quoted me three months. Today is Dec. 8, 2002 and they are painting the car this week. With the stripes and CC they claim it should be done by Christmas. I've been away from the muscle car scene for a while and this seems like a long time, but I am very pleased with the people I chose. My Camaro is getting painted black which takes a little extra TLC. I'm a little bummed about the time frame, but they are great people and they are doing a professional job. Hang in there. Merry Christmas, and by the way, I'm a far cry from a speed shop, just a wanna-be with an opinion!!!! Hope this helps

Rick

[This message has been edited by RSS (edited 12-08-2002).]

[This message has been edited by RSS (edited 12-08-2002).]
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 02, 01:37 AM
Senior Tech

Sounds about normal. Most body shops are not into restoration type work which takes a lot more TLC. They work on insurance jobs and have short time frames to complete so our jobs go on the back burner and they get to them when they can. The body shop I use does fantastic work. It took them 6 months to massage and paint my 75 Camaro because they had a lot of insurance work at the time. It only took 45 days to do the 69 because they had a lull. The 75 is Candy Apple Red and the 69 is Indigo Blue. People rave about the paint and body work all the time. If your shop is doing a good job, be patient it will pay off.

------------------
69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
75 400, 4 Speed
93 Z28, 6 Speed
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 02, 07:25 AM
Retired
Jim

Maybe your grandkids will enjoy watching you pick up your car from the shop
j/k
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1, Balanced, TRW forged pistons, .30 over, TH-350 auto.,
Dover White,Blue Vinyl top, F&R spoilers,pdb, close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi., A/C, fold down rear seat
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 02, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

You guys are killing me. Its a done deal now. Just dropped the car off. I will keep you posted. BTW the new engine looks killer.

bob spears

ps.......they said " two weeks"

------------------
69mscle

[This message has been edited by bspears (edited 12-09-2002).]
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 02, 08:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Bob, Maybe you should start a pool, sell each day on the calendar starting in two weeks for a buck or two. Winner gets half, you get half. I'd buy a couple of days towards the latter part of 2003.

Just kidding, hope it works out like you expect it to.

------------------
Robert Johnson

'69 getting better every day... (every pay day)
350ci 700r4 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 02, 12:07 PM
Senior Tech
Don

Bob, it's been my experience, things that add time and money are:

Add-ons to the first plan ("Well we're here...might as well do it now")

Parts availability, defective/wrong parts.

Weird construction SNAFUS....gremlins crawl out of the woodwork.."This is a first..I've never seen THAT before"

It's rare that a shop can devote 100% of their time/effort to one customer's project...."The holidays sure slowed us down....Gus had the flu....etc"

When a big project is under the knife, and a new customer knocks on their door....he just wants something "minor" done to his car and he has cash... it's hard to turn him away...guess what... the "big" project gets put on the back burner, and it's a business decision to take care of the "new" guy...quick cash is a great motivator...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 02, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Update number one....

DS&E firewall smoothing kit has been 86'd. It turns out that my previous bodywork man was some kind of genius. The alignment of all my body panels is almost perfect. I have often thought that was true. The shop needs to remove one of the fenders to smooth the firewall and they estimate that will be at least 1500.00 in labor charges alone to get it back like it was. Sure seems like the law of diminishing returns here. I am going to delay that part of the project until next year when the Vintage Air unit goes in. It also turns out that my 350 ci SBC is actually a 307. Can you believe someone would tell me it was a 350 when they sold it to me when it was actually a 307. Go figure. Well anyway the engine is out of the car so hopefully the new one starts to go in tomorrow.

cheers

bob spears

------------------
69mscle

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 02, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Update #2

Went by Speed Merchant today. The car is up on a lift. engine, tranny, driveshaft, gas tank, and exhaust are out. DS&E firewall smoothing kit is in. (they figured out a way to do it without removing the fender) The new Be Cool radiator is in. Awaiting a few more parts for new engine for installation. New American Thunder exhaust system is being considered as well. Return fuel line for EFI has been installed as well. These guys are really cranking on this thing.

cheers

bob spears

------------------
69mscle

[This message has been edited by bspears (edited 12-17-2002).]
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 17th, 02, 09:41 AM
Retired
Jim

Break a leg, keep us informed, seems to be moving along and thats great.
How old is your oldest now?
click
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 02, 01:58 AM
Senior Tech
Rodney

i bet they have it done in 3 weeks
the extra week is to find out why it is running so rich [guy's we are talking about
mechanic work not paint and body]
usually pretty straight forward for a qualified mechanic not sanding down paint for surprises and rust.only price jump should be for reprogramming ecm
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 02, 05:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Bob,

You picked the perfect time of year to drop the car off there. I spoke with a friend of mine who works there and they actually have gaps in the schedule which almost never happens. I would expect it to be pretty much on time.

Paul is fast at sorting out the EFI system. I would expect no delays there either.

Good luck. I'm going with the DSE dash and firewall kit in my next one also (assuming I can find the right car!)

Jody

------------------
MY CAMARO
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 02, 05:16 AM
Guess

WOW! From a 307 to an LT1? Man are YOU gonna have some fun!

Now ya just gotta worry about traction.

Good luck and keep it between the lines!

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
1969 Wallet Crusher
- [email protected]

HwyStar's Garage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode