Storing car in enclosed car trailer - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 02, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Well, my wife is giving me grief over the now restored camaro taking up the garage during the winter months. She wants me to buy a car trailer to store it in. I have an insulated 2 car attached garage now but I will not let her park in there if her car is wet or if the roads have had salt(or other chemicals) applied due to bad weather. A new garage is not possible in the current location and there are no plans to move anytime soon.

I did a search to see what was recommended but really didn't find what I was looking for.

Obviously moisture is a concern. And heat. I was thinking a small fan running continuously and maybe a radiator type heater (no open elements) but those things being on constantly make me nervous. Any suggestions/ comments.

Thanks in advance.

[This message has been edited by 69nstyle (edited 12-11-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 02, 07:19 AM
Senior Tech

Do what i did,carefully explain to the wife how modern cars (hers) are so far superior in design to my (yours) old car.They are virtually airtight,watertight,modern paint and galvinized underbody that they dont need to be garaged.Oh yes,and buy her an auto start for when its cold out.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 02, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
You do have a couple alternatives:

One of my neighbors has a canvas garage. Looks like Kimbley-Clark's Evolution 3 material about a metal frame resembling a quonset hut. Zipper for the door.

Another would be to look for a storage facility and rent a space. Maybe even rent a garage, check classifieds?

An enclosed trailer would be ideal, especially since the wife suggested to go buy one. I'd be on the phone to Hallmark the very minute they opened the store.

Another idea is to rent a, they call'em conex boxes. You can rent them from William Scot Rentals. E-mail them at [email protected] or call 757-548-3125.

I don't think temperature has anything to do with preserving, its the absence of humidity that will help keep from rusting. And, of course, no sunlight or ultraviolent rays.

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 02, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech

Only problem I can see is what happened up by my place. Our dog groomer had a real nice 69 Camaro RS - White with orange stripes. She had it in an enclosed trailer behind her business in a locked fenced in area. Someone broke into the lot one night, hooked up the trailer and she hasn't seen either the trailer or the Camaro since.

Make sure both are secure.

You might also check with your insurance company (household and auto) before doing this. Also, make sure that your insurance would cover storing your car in one of the storage places.

------------------
1967 RS 327 M3
2001 Black Z28 convertible
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 02, 01:21 PM
Retired
Jim

Also check around word of mouth on elders who go to FL or AZ for winter. My folks left last week and rented their garage for the winter to a Dr. who has a Porche to store. They get $50 a month for an otherwise empty garage all winter. Maybe someone is in nursing home and cant drive anymore and has an extra stall available. Ask around other seniors. They have a very good gossip ring in most areas.
click

------------------
69RS 350/255 LM1, Balanced, TRW forged pistons, .30 over, TH-350 auto.,
Dover White,Blue Vinyl top, F&R spoilers,pdb, close ratio ps,am/fm,3.08 Posi., A/C, fold down rear seat
My RS www.brainerd.net/~knudsen/69RS
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 02, 04:57 PM
Senior Tech

I have to admit that I never thought of that one click...! Great idea... I ran into some folks that I work with and they had a rental home that was empty this summer and indicated that I could use the garage at the rental to store my 67. I'd never thought about checking with snowbirds for empty garages for the winter.

Cheers,
Tom
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 02, 01:49 AM
Senior Tech

If there is room in your 2-car garage, check into one of those 'baloon' covers for your Camaro. You drive your car onto/into it, zip it up and inflate it. It will be self contained and your wife can still park in the garage.

------------------
Dave
'69 Z11 Pace Car, 350/4 speed, manual top, console w/gauges, tilt rosewood wheel, AM radio
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 02, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech

Enclosed trailers do sweat and they will get cold inside if it freezes real bad. I used to keep the dragster in one. I would not recommend putting a nicely restored car in one. I have two of those canvas storage deals they work fine for about 18 months then the sun flat kills them and you have to buy a new one. I think you have an underling problem with the wife and your car. If you can get that fixed maybe the car can stay put.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 02, 01:07 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Check this site out!
http://www.carbag.com/
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 02, 01:49 PM
David Pozzi

Sell her car!
Just kidding. Can you install a lift and store the car above another?
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 02, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm still up in the air on this one. A car lift is out of the question as my garage is attached to the house with relatively low ceiling height and a roll-up garage door.

I may look into those bags though. They seem like they may be the ticket.

Thanks again.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 02, 07:49 AM
Tech Team
Jim

I have been using the carbag for 3 years now and it works great and i also plan on using it next year in an enclosed trailer
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 15, 04:26 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Storing car in enclosed car trailer

Id say to keep it in the garage and free of contamination from the wife's vehicle you need one of these:

Or one of these if you want something smaller:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 15, 06:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

Leave it to a MODERATOR to drag up a 12 year old post.

Jeff
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Jun 21st, 15, 09:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

Or do what I did: build an interior wall & ceiling within the garage complete with wallboard, insulation and separate garage doors! My garage is 20' x 20' and it works well, although ----- the bigger the better.

Charlie
Edmonds, WA
1969 Camaro SS Vert LS1 T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode