Is it worth ceramic coating the headers - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 02, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have a pair of Hooker headers that have been on my car for about 10 years. They are dinged and bent to fit well. The engine compartment is detailed, but the headers make it look lousy.
They are in good shape, with only surface rust and I dont want to buy new ones.
My questions are
1. is it worth sending them out to be ceramic coated and how do they look generally when they come back from the ceramic coater.
2. are there advantages to having them coated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 02, 03:46 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

The answer to #1 is It will cost close to what you paid for the headers to have them coated. (depending on where you go! But you get what you pay for so shop around) They will look like an aluminum coating. I have heard that the coatings now come in different colors.
#2 The main advantages are heat dissapation and protection from corrosion. Some say that their ceramic coated headers have dulled over time, others haven't. Cheaper process??
I would definately consider the coating, but if the headers are dinged up, bent or pitted, you WILL see it. The coating will show sanding marks and pitts. Most places that do this work will blast or tumble or both before coating. Some will tumble polish them after. Just ask a lot of questions and get it in writing before you go ahead.
Hope this helps
Jim
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 02, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech

brand new coated headers look sweet- alomst a fresh chrome look to them. they do stain a bit over time, but not too bad. mine might have been a fluke, but half the coating fell off. they were the Dynomax Jet-Hot coated headers. perhaps they spend a bit more time on them if they are a one off deal that a customer sends in than if they are part of a run of 100 or something. they really kept the engine bay cool, and i discovered a plug wire laying against a tube once that wasn't burnt at all. good for when you have to work on a hot engine, also.
in summary, yes, it's worth it.

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 02, 04:54 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Check with:

http://www.jet-hot.com

I bought ceramic coated hookers 3 1/2 years ago that still look new.

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air (not yet installed)
700R4 TPI transmission
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 02, 05:10 PM
Senior Tech

hey, for sure, it cuts the temp down alot, about 50 percent, there was an article in car craft they ran a set of uncoated on a dyno then same type coated on the dyno and the coated pair ran a bit more than 50 percent cooler, the uncoated ran 530 or about and the coated ran 230 about, i had NHTC in concord ,NH do mine and he also said it cuts temp by half, also he beadblasts them inside and out and coats them inside and out and mine came out awesome, and they are 100% protected, i would definetely get yours coated inside and out as they are old and most rust from inside out from exhaust gases having moisture in them, but anyway goodluck oh ya i paid 225 to have mine coated, i paid 160 for my hooker comp headers, mine were new, well i only broke my cam in with them, then sent them to be coated
Jake
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 02, 06:05 AM
Senior Tech
RAY

I had a set of 2 year old headers coated by Jet-Hot and I would hesitate to do a used set again. They warned me about rusting thru on used headers and they did in less than 6 months. I used their high temp gray because they were going on a blower motor and the chrome appearing stuff does not hold up well. I think you would be disappointed to spend that kind of money and to have them rust thru the coating. If I was going to do it all over again I would buy my headers, put them on the car and do any hitting or dinging on them to get them to fit then get them coated before I even started the engine.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 02, 01:51 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
BBCamaro, I read the same article and was floored at how much heat was dissipated by the coated headers. Just the reduction in heat output convinced me the are a must buy. Not to mention they look sweet.

------------------
-Funk
My '67 RS
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 02, 02:23 PM
Senior Tech

ray, did they do inside and out????? exhaust gases carry moisture and they probaly were on verge of rusting thru when you had jet hot do them, i had NHTC in concord,NH do mine and he sandblast them inside and out, he has a flexible 3/8 wand that sprays 360 degrees and really cleans them nice, then he coats them inside and out, he has another flexible spray wand to coat the insides, then sprays outside, but he garauntees them for 3 years then after that its never more than 1/2 price to redo, he is an excellant guy who does awesome work, but he does more snow machine exhausts but the way he does them i would not hesitate to do a older set.he does alot for guys in minnesota and so on so if you are interested i can get number!!
Jake
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 02, 04:26 PM
Senior Tech
RAY

BBCamaro,

I didn't state the above very well. The headers did not rust thru the metal but the rust came thru the coating. Yes, it was prepped and coated inside and outside. I'm not unhappy with Jet-Hot. They treated me well by explaining the potential problem before the headers were coated and offered to recoat them free. There are not big areas of rust but small pinpoint spots.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode