URGENT!!- need help - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 02, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

My daily driver is stuck on the side of the road.

When I got in to start it, it would turn over like its going to run, but then stops. Like its running out of gas. I can see fuel in the fuel filter, and I can see it spray into the carb. When I first looked my ground for alternator was off. I hooked it back up and it started and I drove to work. But when I got off work it did it again but the wire was still on. So I guess it was a coincidence.

Please help

------------------
obnoxious 67 camaro under construction. TH350/383 stroker w/ aluminum Edlebroc RPM heads,cam, and carb. Guldstrand mod, Hotchkis 600lbs springs. Next Hotchkis swaybar and disc brakes.This is a "Daily Driver" that still needs A LOT of work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 02, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Is the small gauge 12volt wire to the coil loose and does that wire look good? How old is the external voltage regulator? How about checking spark quality with an extra plug grounded against the block or by other means?
Is it standard points & condenser or Pertronix, or electronic distributor?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 02, 05:40 PM
Senior Tech

If you think itís fuel related instead of electrical, you might see if the aprox.3 inch piece of fuel line hose that connects the fuel tank sending unit line to the frame rail line at the passenger side front corner at the top of the tank is cracked, letting air get sucked into the line. Thatís another thing that will cause it to act like itís running out of gas.

------------------
Geezer

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 02, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It is an Accel elec. dist. which wire are you talking about? Its an internal regulator.

I took off the fuel filter and changed it just incase and it filled back up with fuel so I don't think its a fuel problem.

Oh, another point which may be important is when I turn the key to ac the fan runs, but when it is turned to 'on' the fan doesn't run, and I think it did before.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 02, 04:02 AM
Senior Tech
Roy

I had the same problem with my 69 Camaro. Turned out to be the points (thanks to all here for the help). Changed the points and condensor and I was off and rolling again. Good Luck!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 02, 04:05 AM
Senior Tech
Roy

Oppsss.... sorry... didn't notice you said you had an electric distributor... Good Luck.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 02, 04:13 AM
Senior Tech

OBNXUS67, Sounds simular to an issue that a co-worker was having recently...! Check the ground wire to the block. He was experiencing issues where he could get it running, but it would stall and quit and wouldn't start again. Eventually the battery would discharge so he would jump it and it would run again for a short time. Check the ground wire for corrosion to ensure a clean path to complete the circut. Of course that is if it isn't a fuel related issue?

Hopefully this is helpful!

Best of luck,
Tom

[This message has been edited by 67 Prostreet (edited 12-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by 67 Prostreet (edited 12-19-2002).]
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 02, 04:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Sounds like your main ignition source is not there. When you crank you are probably getting a straight 12 volts from the starter and the car starts to run, but as soon as you let go of the key you lose that voltage so the car won't run. You can try running a temporary wire from the pos. battery post to the positive terminal on the coil and then try to start.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 02, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

clill,

It sound like that my be the prob. How do I fix it?

------------------
obnoxious 67 camaro under construction. TH350/383 stroker w/ aluminum Edlebroc RPM heads,cam, and carb. Guldstrand mod, Hotchkis 600lbs springs. Next Hotchkis swaybar and disc brakes.This is a "Daily Driver" that still needs A LOT of work.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 02, 07:03 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

If you have a condenser on your distributor and it goes bad, or becomes disconnected it will act just like this. Car will start and immediately die as soon as you let go of the key.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 02, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Does an elec. distrib have a condenser? I cant remember.

------------------
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 02, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just checked all the ground wires and they are still connected. I took the cap off the distrib. and all the contacts were corroded. So, I scraped them off. Still no luck.

Clill, I think you may be right. Because when I turn the key to crank it over my elec. fan also turns on but not when it is just "on". So its like Im only getting power while im cranking but not after I let go of the key.

What does everyone else think?

Thanks for the help

------------------
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 02, 12:21 PM
Senior Tech
Jack

If your car has a resister in the circuit from the ignition switch to the coil, the resister could be faulty. jack
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 02, 03:00 PM
Senior Tech

OBNXUS67, Check with a volt meter to see if you have 12 volts at the positive terminal to your distributor with the key in the run position... If you find that you don't that's the place to start tracing down why you don't have the voltage reading. You may be talking ignition switch here by some of the additional info that you posted. Check for voltage at the terminal first and let us know.

Regards,
Tom
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 02, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

67 prostreet,

Are you talking about the pink battery wire from the ignition or the other wires?

Thanks for the help

------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode