502 Ramjet or ZZ502 for my 69 w/ Cowl-Ind. - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 02, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Does anyone know whether a Ramjet 502 will fit under a factory cowl induction hood on a 69 Camaro?? I have been searching for this answer for the past two days straight, but I haven't yet found the answer. I'm using stock BB motor mounts and am unwilling to remove a factory hood just to make room for the injection manifold. I do know that the distance from the china wall on the block to the top of the injection unit is 11 inches on the Ramjet, but I have no way of checking clearances because my big-block is already out of the car and at a machine shop. I would tend to think that it would probably clear the hood near the firewall, but would not clear the mid-section of the hood where it tends to slope down towards the front. I would prefer the injection, but would definitely settle for the non-injected ZZ502/502. I have had the worst of luck lately and just want an easy installation and a whole lotta torque. My Sincerest Thanks for all replies, Paul

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>My everyday driver 69 SSRS.
<LI>My project 69 SSRS L-78.
<LI>My 69 RS project. [/list]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 02, 09:31 PM
Senior Tech

Looking at one of the latest issues of Chevy High Perfomance there is this Pro-Street Camaro with this engine and a large hole in the cowl hood, so i guess it won't fit.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 02, 02:17 AM
Senior Tech
James

I am not sure of the Ramjet manifold, but my HP500 EFI is based upon the AZ S&M Intake so it is close. I know that I could not fit a stock hood - there is clearance at the firewall but the front of the manifold hits. I am using a Harwood 'Glass hood with a custom built 3" cowl and I have 1/2" clearance at the front of the manifold. I am also using motor plates which set the engine back anout 1.5" and keep it from flexing like it would with stock motor mounts. On top of that, I think that the Ramjet manifold may be even taller than mine.

I have some pictures (including some clearance pictures taken with the fenders off) at http://www.adivanman.com

James

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 02, 03:14 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
I vote for trying the new 620 hp 572" ?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 02, 03:33 AM
Senior Tech

Based on my experience in installing ASMs BB TPI in my 69 Camaro, I can tell you that the Ram Jet would be a tight fit, but would probably fit under the hood. I had to cut out the forward part of the internal duct to clear the TB.
The other issue on the ranjet, is that they used the fuel rail off a truck, which is a rear feed, and is tight around the distributor. You would probably end up needing to modify the fuel rail to put the fittings on the passenger side for easier fuel line hookup.

Check out
http://www.coloradof-body.com/heretic/images/
for some pic of the engine in the car.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 02, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Darn, I was really hoping for a yes. Well, at least I found out now rather than buying it and finding out later. Looks like it'll be the non-injected ZZ502. Thank You Dutch and James for a speedy reply. Thanks for the pics of the Merc 500 project. That looks outstanding!! Again, Many Thanks!!

Paul

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 02, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Hi Clill and Heretic. I would love to have a 572 nestled in the engine bay, but for the cost of having it there, I'm not so thrilled - when it comes out ofcourse. It'll probably be above 9,000 dollars anyway. Trust me, I've already thought about it like every other Chevy head! Thanks for the pics of your beautiful SS Heretic. I'm just so damn tired of modifications. That's just another reason for me to turn away from the Ramjet. I'm just so darn tired of doing things on the car over and over and over again. I appreciate the input and assistance with this topic. My Thanks Again, Paul

------------------
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 02, 05:45 AM
Senior Tech

You'll be more than happy with the 850 carbed, 502. Invest in Tire stock! 9 pair of tires, in the first year!
I ran it hard as hell for 2 years. The # 6 rod let go and now we're going to stroke the 502.
It'll be a 522, with 745 HP.
You don't need a 572.
Enjoy your new motor.

------------------
502 Bob

69 Z-502
www.mobiletools1.com
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 07, 11:15 PM
Micah

Re: 502 Ramjet or ZZ502 for my 69 w/ Cowl-Ind.

use the Z28 2 1/2" factory cowl hood.

Yes, if you want a steel hood you can do a goodmark 2 1/2" cowl. You will need to cut out the center section of the plate and (Skeleton) to clear the throttle body. there is 1 1/2" clearance under the (skeleton)/Plate.
you will need a kickout 6 qt oil pan ...new pickup tube, the oil pan gasket is made of some new Nomex or something like that and is reusable and only takes a quarter turn or so after finger tight to SEAL the oil pan.
Block Hugger headers won't work, it takes a special set of Hooker's to clear everything. you could always lower you engine mounts so it would clear a hood...?...

YOU WILL NEED TRACTION !!!
after installing a 502 you will be frantic for TRACTION!!!
This is where I am on a budget and need help. I have the whole shockwave setup and need to install it . but first I need my 9" rear Cut down and resplined for Deep Dish Rims and I will run ART Morrison Triangulated 4 Link weld in setup for shockwaves.

68' Camaro RS SS Black/Black
F.A.S.T. XFI Fuel Injection & Digital Dash
502 Ram Jet
F-Tranny Fluid Manual Valve Body

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 18th, 07, 06:13 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: 502 Ramjet or ZZ502 for my 69 w/ Cowl-Ind.

Couldn't help reading your 502 post, I just read in the engine section , Zee28 may be selling a very new 6 shooter 3 x2 set up for a 502, manifold, carb, linkage with air cleaner. If interested may give a shout. Posted under Help- BB Six Shooter.
https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=123085

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode