Did any '67 SS ever got the '68 SS hood-ornaments? - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 02, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
DL
Senior Tech
David

I wonder, did any late '67SS ever got the chrome hood-ornaments like the 68SS, instead of the finned ones?
I thought that it couldn't (maybe special order?!) , but now I've seen a couple of '67SS with the 68SS style hood... I'm confused....

------------------
David
I don't suffer from insanity.....I enjoy every minute of it!
'67 Camaro, blue exterior, parchment deluxe interior

Pics http://hobbystage.net/camaro/camaro_crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 02, 07:10 AM
Senior Tech
Daniel

No, I don't beleive so. The 68 style stacks were phased in and at first only put on the 396 cars.

------------------
Daniel
CRG
67 RS/SS 350 2004R (owned since 81)
97 V6 5-speed Coupe (work car ordered new)
My Camaro
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 21st, 02, 08:03 PM
David Pozzi

I thought big blocks got them in 67 but I'm not sure.

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 02, 04:54 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
In '67 all SS camaros got the finned hood inserts. In '68 the small block SS got the fins and the big block got the planter boxes. In '69 all got planter boxes.

I'm unsure on this but as the fins were phased out there may have been some very late '68 small blocks decorated with planter boxes or some early '69 small blocks with the fins. I don't think I have ever seen a '69 with the finned inserts correct or not but have seen '68 small block cars with planter box inserts. I don't know if they were orig to the cars though... Oh, there may also have been some early '68 big block cars with the fins... I'm sure there is some data on the CRG site on this... Also search through the forums here as this comes up quite often...

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 02, 01:58 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

I am pretty sure that they made the change to the stacks very early in the 68 model year. I have a March 68 small block and it has the stacks and not the fins.

------------------
Dave68RS/SS Convertible
L48 (350/295 Powerglide)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 02, 03:19 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Here's what the CRG has on the subject;

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Q: [18-Dec-2002] Update: What SS hood ornament was used where and when?

A: At model introduction in September, 1966, the SS Camaro used a special SS hood that included chromed trim that mimicked
the appearance of finned oil coolers. At this time the only SS was the SS-350 model, and the badges on the car read "SS-350".
When the SS-396 was introduced in January 1967, the badges were changed for all SS models to read "SS". The SS-396 could
be distinguished from the SS-350 by the engine emblems. In addition, there is a blacked-out tailpan on SS-396 cars (except
black-painted cars and special models like the 1969 Pace cars). Both 350 and 396 models in 1967 used the finned hood emblem
for the entire model year.

For the 1968 model year, the chromed hood trim for SS396 changed from the simulated finned cooler to a set of simulated
carburetor velocity stacks. The early 1968 model year SS350 continued to receive the 1967-style finned hood trim, but the SS350
trim transitioned to the velocity stack trim as the year progressed. The simulated velocity stack continued for the 1969 model
year with all SS cars using this same hood trim. Related to this, the part number for the 1968-99 hood is different than 1967, with
the only noticable difference being the drains used with the velocity stack trim.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A march built car is 7 months into the production so I don't think that would be considered early producton...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode