Grille Color - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 02, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

What determined grille color? When did the factory use silver and when did they black-out the grill? Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 02, 09:19 AM
TRT
Senior Tech

Check this out
http://www.camaros.org/exterior.shtml#1969Grille

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

------------------
Tim
=======================
1969 Camaro V8 Coupe
307-2bbl TH350
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 02, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks TRT for the info. I have a 1969 coupe which was an original 307, 3-speed, floor shift model with console. I converted it to "70" LT-1 engine and 4-speed in 1974. Car in Restoration now. Plan to clone it as an "SS" car. That is why I needed the info.
Again Thanks.

P.S. Will not advertise as Original SS!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 02, 06:38 AM
TRT
Senior Tech

You're Welcome.
My 69 (307 TH350) has a black grill, now I'm thinking of changing it. But that will have to wait, the tired old 307 is out and my baby is waiting for the new Goodwrench 350.

Happy Holidays to You and Yours

TT

------------------
Tim
=======================
1969 Camaro V8 Coupe
307-2bbl TH350
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 02, 04:05 PM
SY1
Senior Tech
Dave

For 69 all non RS and non SS models had the argent silver grille, including the Z/28. The SS had a molded black grille, which means if you slice into the grille from the back side you'll find it is black throughout, not painted. The rally sport cars had a black grille. I have heard that some of the aftermarket grilles as well as some NOS grilles for the SS were black painted over the argent silver.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 02, 12:20 AM
Senior Tech

My 69 base coupe has a black grille, exterior colour should be Cortez Silver,. The grille looks original to the car, would there be any way to tell? Actually i have never seen a picture of a silver 69 with a silver grille (Z/28 or not), anybody who does?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 02, 06:27 PM
Senior Tech
John

I believe the silver grilles were molded white and painted silver...

------------------
- John -
69 Z/28
69 Z11
Camaro Generations Member
WCA Member
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 02, 04:58 AM
Ray

Hello and tahnks for all the replys'. I am Bassman. I use the other user name at work. I bought a grill in 1984 and its still in the GM box waiting to be installed on my car sometime in march. The grill came black with the chrome trim top and bottom. The head lite rings bought at the same time came silver. I plan to clone the car as "SS". Should I leave the grill black since the car will be painted the original Fathom Green color?
Car will not be claimed as original "SS".
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 02, 05:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charley

Garage
Yes it should be black. Just remember the outside part should be Body color.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 02, 03:36 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

Yes, original silver grills were an off-white, grayish color, with the egg crate portion painted argent.

SS should be using black grill with black headlight bezels.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 02, 03:25 AM
JWA
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by clill:
Yes it should be black. Just remember the outside part should be Body color.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
This a a pet peeve of mine. To me 69s do not look finished unless the grille is painted properly. I can understand a car that has had the grill replaced but when the paint is fairly new, to me it screams as a quickie style job on a resto. If they didn't paint the grille what else did the pass over on a resto. BTW don't look at my car . My excuse is I bought it that way and since it will get painted in the next year or so I left the grille at it should be for the original tuxedo black that is on the trim tag.

I also don't agree with the camaros.org chart about Tuxedo black cars. I believe they are right about black RS Z28s having a silver grille but the black SS/RS cars I have seen have had black grilles. MY logic is the SS option was dominant and would have overrideen the silver RS grille as it did with the emblems. On the RS/Z28s the emblems were split(steering wheel and fender) so it would follow the RS pattern. JMO though I could be wrong.

------------------
Jeff
69 SSRS 396(roller 427 )
My Chevs

[This message has been edited by ace841 (edited 12-27-2002).]
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 02, 04:20 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

You may be right about the grill color thing, but the CRG bases its information on as much fact as is available, and Charlie has bought and sold more high quality Camaros than most of us have seen. If I were betting, I would side with CRG and Charlie.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 01:18 PM

every thing that ive read states the z/28 has the argent grille,but mine has a black one in it and i dont think that its been replaced,the emblem was pretty rusted on the backing plate and the nuts dont look as if they were ever removed ( it may have been replaced along time ago?) but my car is daytona yellow,black stripes,black vinyl top with yellow houndstooth, could that color combo warrant a black grille? thanks for the info!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 02, 03:49 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

It's either a factory mistake (very unlikely) or an early change out.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 02, 09:22 AM
Senior Tech
Chuck

I have a 69 Grill that was painted BLACK incorrectly on a X-11 body.....not sure if this grill was new G.M or repop.....anyway your opinions as to how to PREPARE or remove black paint and WHAT exact brand, type, color or "Silver" paint and or adhesion promoter do I use to acheive good results...Chuck/Seattle [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode