Gas tank cleaning and refinishing - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 02, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

While rebuilding the rear suspension on my 69, I pulled the gas tank off. Since I have it off, I would like to clean off the nasty undercoating that is all over the outside. Problem is that I can't get it off because it's so thick. Any suggestions? Would a radiator repair shop be able to hot tank it to get the crap off? I thought about buying a new tank but there is nothing wrong with this one. No dents, holes, or rust, just a bunch of nasty undercoating.

If I can get this one cleaned, any suggestions on what to use to refinish it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 02, 08:32 AM
Senior Tech

It can be hot tanked. The undercoating is petroleum based. Paint thinner can soften and remove it. If you can get the undercoating off and the tank isn't too discolored, you can clear coat it. Good Luck

------------------
69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
75 400, 4 Speed
93 Z28, 6 Speed
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 02, 08:33 AM
Senior Tech

Before taking it somewhere, try using one of those heat guns that takes paint off of stuff, I think one is made by Wagner. Get it at any hardware store. That is what I'm using on my wheel wells and it is working pretty good.

Heat it up until soft and then use a putty knife to scrape it. Then try some laquer thinner to clean it up.

Be careful with heat around gas tanks though. Still might be some in there that might make it go boom.

------------------
1967 RS 327 M3
2001 Black Z28 convertible

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 02, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just called a couple radiator repair shops and both told me that hot tanking will not cut through the undercoating. Looks like it's going to take some elbow grease to get the job done.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 02, 09:03 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Pep boys sells a stripper called Aircraft stripper or something like that. It's a brush on jel. Works well and isn't overly messy if you work it a section at a time. Get some good gloves, several widths of scrapers and some old tarps that you can throw away when done with them...

Heat and flames are very dangerous around an empty gas tank, fumes are what cause explosions... I know the poster above said use caution with heat!! It needs to be said over and over!!!

------------------
...Dennis
"The '69, the '96 our local club"
and the "daily driver"
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 02, 09:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Cruzin "the 82"

ive used aircraft stripper. it works excellent. the KEY is, good gloves and ventilation. this stuff is nasty.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 02, 12:24 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin Stone

Ok listen up and open the garage windows. Go get about three gallons of Diesel fuel. Put the diesel fuel into a spray bottle and cover the area that you want the undercoating removed from. Soak the snot out of it, and let stand over night. Be patient and please be careful. Althought the flash point is higher it's not worth taking chances so do it out side if possible. After a day the diesel fuel will soften up the coating so you can literally scrap it off like butter. You may have to soak the crap out of it but trust me it works. My bottom of my coupe was undercoated from front to back. I work a month on it and the only thing that sped up the entire process was this stuff. Warning !! it does smell so as I said take it outdooors and wear some old crappy clothes. Try it, I think you will be suprised..Good luck and be careful...

Wacky

------------------
1969 Fully Papered and Documented Coupe.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 02, 03:43 PM
Senior Tech

I just cleaned a new subframe and my suspension parts. First I used Gunk spray liquid degreaser. It smelled like a large percentage of it was diesel. It did a so so job, but did cut the worst part of the grease. Perhaps straight Deisel will work better. Oven cleaner worked better, but still wasn't up the the chore with the undercoating. (Are those gas tanks aluminum or steel? If they're aluminum, I'm not sure what oven cleaner will do). Propane torque on inner fenders was very slow and cumberson...an even worse idea on a gas tank. I do want to try the heat gun approach. Make sure to get a scraper with a slightly dulled edge so you don't gouge your tank all over. I'll practice on the front fenders and then apply the same technique to the tank. Let us know what works best for you Indy. Then I'll know what to do.

Merry Christmas...don't drink and drive.

-dnult
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 23rd, 02, 06:35 PM
Senior Tech
Tim

I vote to just buy a new fuel tank!

I recently bought a new one for my 69 Nova from Spectra Premium. It looks perfect compared to my nearly 30 year old stocker with paint and dents. The insided isn't much prettier either-debris and rust!

The new tank cost ~$250 delivered with new straps. It looks very, very similar to the original.

------------------
1969 Nova SS 350
406/M20/3.55
13.63 at 105
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 02, 12:04 AM
Senior Tech
Bob

I used a cheap can of "Red Devel" gel paint remover. Slopped it on leave it work awhile, turns the undercoating to goo and you can scrap it right off. One more coat and you'll be amazed at how well it will clean up.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bh3chevy/Bobs_All_Chevy.html" TARGET=_blank>69 X22 Camaro
68 Camaro
72 Nova SS
82 Corvette
</A>
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 02, 12:18 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
These are some great ideas. I can't wait until the next time I have to clean/degoo something.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 02, 01:49 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin Stone

Indy Z11 mail me. If interested I have a brand new NOS tank I will sell you reasonably.

Wacky

------------------
1969 Fully Papered and Documented Coupe.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 02, 03:24 AM
Senior Tech
frank

One word of CAUTION DON'T GO ANYWHERE NEAR THAT TANK WITH AN OPEN FLAME.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 02, 06:24 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

I used Bix tough job (name?) paint stripper to clean mine. Worked like a charm. You can get it in aerosol spray , pump spray or brush on at most hardware/ paint stores. This is terrible smelling stuff so dont use it in the garage with the doors and windows shut and be sure to wear gloves. I used a metal scraper and a scotch brite pad since I planned to repaint my tank anyway. I would keep open flames and concentrated sources of heat away from a gas tank

------------------
See my '68 RS/ZZ4
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Dec 25th, 02, 05:24 AM
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by L48M20:
I vote to just buy a new fuel tank!

I recently bought a new one for my 69 Nova from Spectra Premium. It looks perfect compared to my nearly 30 year old stocker with paint and dents. The insided isn't much prettier either-debris and rust!

The new tank cost ~$250 delivered with new straps. It looks very, very similar to the original.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

L48M20

CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE SPECTRA IS LOCATED, I NEED A NEW TANK ALSO
THANKS

[This message has been edited by cottonpicker14 (edited 12-25-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode