Remote Starter Carbureted Engine - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 02, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Do they make a remote starter for a non fuel injected engine? in thinking mabey they make some sort of addon or electric pump or something? ive got a 305 engine with a qjet carb. was thinking id like to add the remote starter but dont know if its possible without fuel injection

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 24th, 02, 10:49 AM
Senior Tech

You can add a remote starter to almost any car or truck that is equipped with an automatic transmission. In the winter on older cars (50's, 60's and some 70's), you had to depress the gas pedal once to set the choke. Not so in the 80's and on up. The reason you can't use a remote starter on a standard transmission vehicle is because you have to depress the clutch to open the neutral safety switch.

------------------
69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
75 400, 4 Speed
93 Z28, 6 Speed
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 02, 01:13 AM
Senior Tech

How does the linkage move to the high step of the cam (full choke, fast idle) on a carburetor without stepping on the gas pedal even if it has an electric choke ?

Is there a solenoid to move the throttle linkage on the remote?

Drew

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 02, 07:51 AM
Senior Tech

every carbureted carb i have seen- even the electronic ones from the 80's- needs to have the choke set in order for it to properly start in really cold weather. pumping the pedal also shoots a bunch of raw fuel into the intake manifold to get it to start.
i guess- if you wanted to- you could rig up a solenoid to kick the throttle far enough to set the choke, and a nitrous fuel solenoid or something to shoot fuel into the intake. then, if the planets are properly aligned and you engine and all it's systems are in good order, a remote starter could be used successfully. not sure how they work, but i think they crank it for something like 8 seconds before giving up. how many carbureted cars start that fast reliably?

------------------
1971 Nova(looks like 69 camaro from underneath!)
355sb, vortec heads, HOT cam,T-10 tranny, 3.70 gears 16X8" IROC wheels. 12" Corvette brakes on the way.
see pics here http://community.webshots.com/user/novaderrik
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 02, 01:38 AM
Senior Tech

Thats what I'm talking about, ND.

Drew
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 02, 04:14 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I had one of these on a 75 Pontiac winter beater. It had a solenoid with a chain hooked to the linkage to set the choke, and would start the car. The interior temperature sensor was the device that would shut the motor off and re start It, not a remote key fob. On standard tranny cars, you would wire around the safety switch and leave the car In neutral with the parking brake on. It was nice to get into a warm car with all the windows defrosted in the morning, until a malfunction let the car run all night and used a half tank of gas. These car starters have long been discontinued. Reason one. Because they don't make cars with carburetors anymore. Reason two. Because people would unwitingly set them to activate while the car was in the garage. It was OK If the garage wasn't attached to the house, but If It was, everyone In the house would die of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Recently, near where I live, there was an Incident where a person with a new car equipped with a remote car starter, parked It In their garage (garage attached to the house). The woman of the house gave the keys to the baby to play with (remote key fob attached) In It's crib to keep him quiet while she was trying to put him to bed. The bodies of all five people of the family were discovered the next day by other family members who investigated after nobody would answer the phone. After the Investigation It was learned how this happened. All new remote car starters are equipped (or should be by law) with a timer to shut the motor off after a preset time.

I know I added a lot more Info here than what you asked for, (sorry) but people should be very aware of how these thing can kill. They are a trick Item, and used properly are OK. In the winter I just get up 15 minutes earlier and start the car. It's safer, and cheaper on gas!
Happy Holidays
Jim

[This message has been edited by GMJim (edited 12-27-2002).]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 02, 06:22 AM
Senior Tech

Getting an engine heater would be the better route to go. That is the way that it was done before EFI.

------------------
David
Camaro - '68 327 Coupe, '86 Z-28 IROC 305 TPI, '89 IROC-Z 350 TPI (B2L/L98)
Corvette - '73 Mako Shark II, '82 Cross-fire, '01 Coupe
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 02, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I never thought about the poisoning aspect of it, although i dont even have a garage, im glad you posted that, to raise the awareness of others.my 84 starts right up in the morning, even on cold ones, i was thinking about giving the remote thing a try, if it dont work i can disconnect it i suppose. although im not that lazy, i prefer to go out and say good morning to my baby in the morning after a cold lonley night outside, and make sure all systems are go before i start it. now if they only made a remote refueler device to insure my wife would put in ONLY Sunoco ULTRA unleaded instead of trying to get the cheaper gas thus making the car run like hell, id be a happy camper.

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 02, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech

a friend of mine recently sold a jeep wrangler that had a remote starter and a manual trans. the new owner waited two whole days before trying out the remote start feature and promply watched her new jeep go through her garage (it was parked in front of it), through a fence, and wedge up against a tree with the tires spining in the grass cause it was still in gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode