'69 Wper Problem - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 02, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'm having a problem with my wipers on my '69 Camaro. When I first turn them on, they drop down aprox. 2 inches before starting back up. I took off the cowl, removed the arm from the housing and made certain that I have aligned the housing marks with the shaft marks and that doesn't seem to help. They don't go down first now, but when I turn them off, they don't go completely to the bottom. They stop exactly where I turn them off. I've done a search and can't seem to find any answers. Please help. Thanks! Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 02, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Have you had them apart or changed the motor?

Could be the motor is worn out? Or if you have them apart or changd motors, you may have the arms our of phase with the motor.

------------------
2002 Pontiac TA WS6 Ram Air LS1, 6sp Hurst, TCS, CD Changer - Pewter "Last of the Breed" #3124 of only 12,516 WS6 built
2001 GMC SLT Extended Cab Z71 - Polo Green
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 02, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

How do I get the arms back in phase with the motor or how do I determine if this could be the problem. I did just install the used motor.

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 02, 11:10 AM
Guess

If that doesn't work, how about just removing the wiper arms, then turning on the switch and back off. Put the wiper arms back on where they should be when in the parked position, and try it again. Maybe this will set a good starting point.

------------------
Joe
WCA Member
1969 Wallet Crusher
- [email protected]

HwyStar's Garage!
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 02, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I took off the wiper arms and made certain that the housing marks aligned with the shaft marks. I turned the wipers on and then back off again. I then Put the arms back on and they still went down 2 inches first before starting upward. I then took the shaft off and turned it 180 degrees. Now the the arms don't go down first, but they'll stop wherever I turn off the switch. They're not returning to neutral (or down) position. Any other suggestions. It's driving me nuts!!
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 02, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech

Sounds like motor problems. It sounds like your wipers act the same way as if you turned off the key. They stay where they last were. Wiper motors park themselves if you turn off the switch no matter where they were.
I haven't been insde many of them but there may be a cam and a switch inside that controls the park/off function.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 02, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I guess I'll have to start looking for a motor. By the way does anyone know whether or not the wiper linkage is the same for a '69 as for a '67 or '68? Thanks for all the help. Bill
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 02, 04:53 PM
Guess

There's one more thing to check before you go replacing the motor or linkages. It's been brought up a couple times in the forums before.

You said you just put the motor back on. One of the attachment points is also a GROUND for the motor to the firewall. Or there's a raised bump very near one of the mounting points that makes contact with the firewall. Both have to be free of paint at the point of contact. If not, all kinds of wacky schtuff will happen.

Take a look.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 02, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I'll check that grounding point today. Thanks again! Bill
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 02, 06:23 AM
Senior Tech

Very good point HSJ. A wiper motor operates by switching ground to it through the switch. When you turn off the switch it needs a ground to complete its last cycle and park. It gets that through the frame. Otherwise it stops right where it was. It may go down before up when you turn it on again because it has't completed its last cycle.
Last thought I have before picking on the motor again is: You do have a small ground strap from battery (-) to the right inside fender? This is the body ground that the motor needs.
post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 02, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I just removed the wiper motor and there is no contact point where the motor contacts the firewall. There are 3 rubber grommets where the motor bolts on and an oval rubber seal where the motor goes through the firewall. The metal on the motor does not and cannot touch the metal on the firewall with this setup. I ran a ground wire from the motor to a ground on the body and it didn't help anyway. I thought maybe the yellow wire was supposed to go on the bottom of the front terminal, so I changed it with no success. Any other suggestions? Here's a picture of my wiring setup on the motor. I highlighted the colors on the wires in this picture. There is yellow, light blue, dark blue and black. Does mine seem to be wired correctly? Thanks! Bill
P.S. I do have a small ground strap from battery (+) Not (-) to the right inside fender?

[This message has been edited by redlines4us (edited 12-27-2002).]
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 02:09 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

Are you sure you have the correct motor? While many will look alike, they have differences.

If you got one from another Camaro, only 68 and 69 and 70-78 non-concealed wipers will work. But many other years and models will interchange but they can't be the concealed wiper type. The list is long or I would type it here but some cars up to 1980 will fit. The fact that they were dropping down 2 inches make me think you have a wiper motor for concealed wipers and you don't have these.

------------------
2002 Pontiac TA WS6 Ram Air LS1, 6sp Hurst, TCS, CD Changer - Pewter "Last of the Breed" #3124 of only 12,516 WS6 built
2001 GMC SLT Extended Cab Z71 - Polo Green

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 12-28-2002).]
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 02:31 AM
Senior Tech
Gary

The grounding on the wiper is from a grounding tab that contacts one of the three bolts that connect through the grommets. If your tab is missing, that could be the source. However, elcamino's comments sound reasonable. Even if you did not replace the wiper motor, maybe someone else did.
post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

It is possible that this is the wrong motor.
This may sound like a dumb question but why would a concealed wiper motor go down 2 inches when I initially turn on the wipers before starting the upward swing? I thought a concealed motor would drop the 2 extra inches at the end of the cycle to conceal the wipers. I don't see any grounding tab. I'll take the motor back off and check again. I may just order a new motor and see if that helps. I just wanted to check all other options before spending the money on a new motor. Thanks! Bill
post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 04:55 AM
Apprentice
Ken

I just looked at my 69 and the yellow and blue wires are opposite of what your photo shows. Now I have not had my car together for 20 years but the photos i have taken are opposite of yours. The motors might be different. Mine is marked
Type E Delco Products
12 V Rochester N. Y.

Also the metal strap that others are referring to is located at the upper right hand mounting hole looking at the motor from the front of the car. The metal strap appears to an integral part of the grommet.
Yours might be there but painted over.

I can email you a photo of my motor if you want.

Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode