ATTACHING NEW SEATS TO THE FLOOR - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 02, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Hello,

I am in the process of putting a set of 95 seats in my 69 camaro. Many have told me that the two front holes line up perfect, but when I try to line mine up the seat sits crooked. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Also, some say that they have made new holes for the back or for the front. If the seats attach to the floor, am I right to assume they have a nut welded to the other side for the bolt to screw into? Also how do you get access to the other side of the floor, I have looked underneath and cant see where it connects to. I guess I am looking for the easiest way to position the seats in the right location. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 06:53 AM
Senior Tech

I've done a set of 2000 T/A seats into a 67. Here's what I did:
Front holes: The front 2 holes for the seat tracks line up. The seats will sit at a slight slant just as you've stated. On the passenger side I used a 1/2 inch spacer on the outside hole because it was the low side. I just bolted the other front down. I left the drivers side bolted to the factory holes, no spacer, and used the power seat adjust to even it out.
Rear holes: I cut a piece of 1/4 channeled steel and connected the holes. I drilled the holes, counter sunk the heads and then tapped them for threads. I used a buttonhead bltand nut to connect the seat to the channel piece and regular bolt to connect to the factory holes. I have a friend who did the seat swap after I did mine and he drilled all the way through the car and used 3 inch washers to make sure it wont pull through the floor if in an accident. To me it just looks bad. I used the factory holes. I figure they are plenty strong as designed from GM.Make sure you use good bolts and not cheapo stuff. You don't wanna kiss the dash if something happens.
I can E-mail you a pic if you like. Just leave your E-mail addy.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Sure I would love to see a picture. Please send it to [email protected]
thanks

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 07:54 PM
Senior Tech
Call me Funk

Send a message via AIM to CFunK
kobuzz,

If you have pictures of the seat track and install I would REALLY appreciate them so I can put them on my website. I am trying to collect as much info on 4th Gen seats in a 1st Gen as possible.

Thanks!

------------------
-Funk
My '67 RS
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 02, 03:32 AM
Tech Team

Kobuzz,

Please e-mail some pics to me as well, thanks.

[email protected]

grey899
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 02, 09:07 AM
Senior Tech

Hey cfunk, where are your seat belts?

I fitted 93 Firebird seats into my 69 Camaro. I used the 69 seat tracks, I welded a 1" extension (cut off the 93 tracks) onto the 69s and everything bolted up.
Then I went to check the fit with the seat belts, and the cover over the adjuster hit the seat belt retractor.
I then welded extensions onto the front of the tracks and used the other holes in the back to move the seat in about 1". Now everything clears. I'm currently shopping for leather covers for the seats.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 02, 07:35 PM
Senior Tech

if you could send me some pics to i would apprecieate it
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 03, 06:42 PM
Senior Tech
Rodney

I recently installed Fiero seats in my 69. All I did was just use the factory Camaro tracks and use a big washer on the back bolt to make up for the 1" or so difference in the mounting holes. As for the seat hitting the seat belt all I did was reverse them, put the drivers seat on the passenger side and vice versa, misses everything. The only difference is, the seat slider is on the inside but clears the console easily. Be sure to use the drivers side Camaro track on the drivers side and vice versa, just switch the actual seat.

Hope this helps.

------------------
69 RS Camaro (383,700r-4,12-bolt w/3.73s)
79 WS6 Trans Am (406SBC,factory 4-spd,3.23 posi)
87 GTA Pace Car Clone (350TPI,700r4,140k miles)
97 Bonneville SSE 40th Anniv. (3800 V-6, Power Everything, The little woman's car)
Check out my site and the For Sale Page http://rodsrides.freeservers.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode