Serpentine, Steeroids, Southern Air - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Hey guys, I'm looking for some suggestions on a few things...I'm looking into getting a serpentine system for my 69 big big block car, who is the best, worse, anything I should look for?? (price is also a factor)I'm also looking for an AC system, maybe Southern Air, Hot Rod Air, or Vintage Air, anybody use them?? any good/bad about any of them?...been looking into the Steeroids system, I know alot of people have been having issues with the big block cars...I have a friend that has this set-up on his big block with no problems (so he says hahaha)..and last but not least I was also looking into the Global West control arm...any input?? thanks in advance guys!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 02:38 PM
Team Member
John

Why do you want a serpentine system? That's a lot of money for no performance benefit.

------------------
JohnZ
CRG
'69 Z28 Fathom Green
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

you know, its the "cool" factor....I'm building a mild custom, so I thought the serpentine system would look nice.....most of what I am doing with this car is for the "cool" factor...shaving the firewall was alot of work...but what did I gain? lol.....I supose I could go with a nive V-Belt set-up as well.....

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

thats nice v belt set-up....
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 06:05 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

The best serpentine system would actually be from a late model BB G.M. truck. Either used at a "bone yard", or new from GM. I have heard absolutly no complaints on the Vintage Air system, that is why I purchased mine from Classic Industries, during one of their 20% off sales. If you only want more camber and don't care if it is original, just do the Gulstrand Mod, or spend the bucks and get "tubular".

------------------
69 Camaro Z28 "clone" - 327 AT
"461" camel back heads,
edelbrock , hooker, ultradyne cam, stewart,
TRW etc.
Vintage Air (not yet installed)
700R4 TPI transmission
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 02, 01:36 PM
Senior Tech

I used to be the master dealer for Concept ONe pulleys and brackets (www.conceptonepulleys.com) and they come in a variety of models for your bigblock.

Email me back with specifics (power steering, air etc). and I can shoot you a pic of an applicable system and will refer you directly to the inside sales guys.

Now, these are NOT serpentine systems perse, they do use the wide 7ribbed Goodyear Gatorback belts and have all the fancy accoutrements to go with. Sepentine or Wide belts DO OFFER some advantages over V-belts in that they offer more contact area to prevent slipping and are far longer lived and more reliable than Vs. This is in fact the very reason alot of OEMs use them today in most applications.

The Concept One systems feature high performance water pumps, high performance power steering pumps (both very low hp loss and high output) and "Overdrive" technology which is great for cooling along with the high performance water pump. The feature absolutely no idlers or independent tensioning devices to go awry or throw belts and I turn mine in excess of 7000rpms!

Another feature of the ConceptOne kits is that they are in fact a turnkey kit and will go on in less than an hour! No shims, no washers, no spacers....perfect fit everytime.

Here is a pic of one of the systems.

Email me with specifics and I will send you pics and pricing for your systems direct from the factory. I do not work for them any longer whereas I was hired to get the product defined, marketed and birthed, but they are excellent products.

------------------
STEVE "Jack'Stands" JACK
Techical forum/links at Jack'Stands TechForums and Links
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 02, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Damn, thats one nice looking system, and the price is right...I think I found the one for me....thanks Steve!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode