Chambered exhaust repair and refinishing - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I have removed the entire chambered exhaust system in one piece (it is all welded together) from my 69 and want to make it look better before putting it back on. It's not in too bad shape and since a new system is so expensive, I want to see if I can clean it up and use it. The first thing I need to do is patch a couple small holes about 1/4 inch in diameter. Should I try to braze them closed or use JB weld or something? The second thing I need to do is to refinish the non-galvanized sections which are solid but have lots of surface rust. I plan to remove the rust by either sandblasting or chemicals. Any suggestion on what to use to paint the system after I get it cleaned? I want some kind of high temp coating that looks like bare metal and something that won't peel off.

------------------
Larry W.
1969 Z11 Pace Car
My Pace Car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 02, 04:35 PM
Senior Tech

hey i would get some of the same size aluminized pipe and cut repair patches about 1/2 bigger all the way around the rusted spot, then prep exhaust(sandblast clean, then paint holes with wel dthru primer then weld patches on, i have not seen any coatings like bare metal, but if you sandblast the exhaust i highly doubt you will experience any flacking only blasting done by road debris, goodluck
jake
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 02, 05:16 AM
Senior Tech

Larry,

DO NOT use JB Weld. After a very short time the heat will make it brittle and it will fall out. Don't ask me how I know this.

I would weld.

Chad

------------------
67 Firebird...special Super Rust Edition
01 (POS) Ranger.

"IT TASTES LIKE BURNING!" -Ralph Wiggam.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 02, 05:25 AM
Senior Tech

I would weld it up and get it Jet Hot coated.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 02, 01:02 AM
Senior Tech

Mig or tig weld it, forget those miracles in a can.

Larry was wondering how you got the entire exhaust system off in one piece. Did you snatch the rear & leaf springs out first or take the body off the chassis? The way the tailpipes wrap around the leaf springs I don't see any other way even if the car was on a lift. Please elaborate

[This message has been edited by drew69 (edited 12-30-2002).]

[This message has been edited by drew69 (edited 12-31-2002).]
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 02, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by drew69:
Larry was wondering how you got the entire exhaust system off in one piece. Did you snatch the rear & leaf springs out first or take the body off the chassis? The way the tailpipes wrap around the leaf springs I don't see any other way even if the car was on a lift. Please elaborate.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since I am doing a rear suspension rebuild, I already had the 12 bolt, leaf springs, and gas tank out. I then dropped the convertible X frame reinforcement and unbolted the entire exhaust in one piece and slid it out from under the car. The rear of my car is sitting up high on jack stands mounted under the frame rails just inboard of the leaf spring front mounting perches so clearance wasn't a problem.

Someone above mentioned jet hot coating. I know this is a process used on headers but is this something that I can do at home myself? If so, where do I get it?

[This message has been edited by Indy Z11 (edited 12-31-2002).]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode