Rochester Qjet Adjustment Advice - Team Camaro Tech
Tech 2002 General Tech questions from 2002
Replies ONLY, no new topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 02, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Im in need of your expertise, ive got a 305 w/ a rochester qjet carb. now it has 2 adjustment screws on it, one on each side. standing in front of the vehicle looking at the carb there is an adjustment screw on the drivers side in front of the accelerator cable, and on the passenger side under the electric choke is another adjustment screw. now please tell me what each screw is for, and what they are for, and how to adjut them, and what scenarios would i have to adjut them, basically i need to know what steps are necessary to adjust them what the proper procedure . tell me everything i need to know about these 2 screws. thanks

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 02, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
I'll try to explain....

The screw on the left (pass) side is the fast idle screw. This comes into play when the choke plate is closed, its linkage pulls in a cam and this screw rides on the cam. To set fast idle, allow the engine to come to complete oper temp. Shut engine off, open throttle part way, manually close choke with finger, close throttle, release choke plate, choke plate should go open since engine is warm.

Start engine and set fast idle rpm by adjusting this screw, say 1400-1600 rpm?

The screw on the right (driver) side? There might be two - one on the carb body. This sets curb idle or base idle with no load or accessories turned on, usually set for 650-850? Whatever the book would suggest.

The other screw - directly in front of the throttle cable. It would be part of a solenoid(?) and would come into play when the A/C is turned on. With this load on the engine, the rpm drops, solenoid kicks out, thereby raising the engine rpm back to the same, if not alittle more than no A/C rpm.

Hope this helps.... Stay warm!!!

------------------
Everett "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR APPEAR QUICKLY UPON RAPID DECELERATION"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 02, 02:18 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Spames
The one by the throttle is probably your idle. The one near the choke could be how far the choke opens or closes. There really aren't any other adjustments on electronic Quadra Jet carbs. If it's running OK, don't screw with it.

------------------
68 Coupe, 350 4-speed
Jim's Camaro Corner

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 02, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Everett you explained everything to me just the way i was hoping, in words i could understand...that make perfect sense to me and ill now be able to correctly adjust my carb, ill let you know the results. thanks again and Happy New Year

------------------
1984 Chevy Camaro (305)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 02, 10:25 AM
David Pozzi

Fast idle speed is 2200 rpm's for a first gen Camaro. Might be the same for a later model.
David

------------------
Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
David's Motorsports page
First Gen Suspension Page
67 RS 327 original owner. 69 Camaro Vintage Racer, 65 Lola T-70 Chev SB Can-Am Vintage Racer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode