2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 04:35 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

Re: ARP bolt problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d cad View Post
The question today with grade 8 bolts has to do with confidence that the bolt is as represented. Lines on the head donít mean sh** in China. ARP is a reliable source. Good bolts have a radius under the head. Good washers have a corresponding radius. They should be assembled that way, especially with SAE washers.
never seen that on a lock washer/ split ring / what ever you want to call it
arp head bolts YES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 05:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

ARP are actually better than Bolt Depot grade 8 bolts. All ARP bolts are actually "Rolled" threads, meaning they are not cut. A thread that is rolled is much stronger than a cut thread because the grain of the metal is not cut through to machine the threads, like when using a threading die or a single point tool. A thread rolling head cold forms the threads maintaining the integrity of the structure, while at the same time work-hardening the surface. The Aerospace industry is a big user of rolled threads as well as the military. You can feel the difference when handling a rolled thread because they are very smooth with no burrs or sharp edges, whereas cut threads have burrs and sharp edges.

If I have to remove more than one item to get to the fasteners, I will use only ARP. It has to do with piece of mind and quality. I am one of those "Brand users" when it comes to bolts and nuts. and ARP is that brand. Nothing else even comes close. It's just not made. Or I have't found it.

Brett.......

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #18 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Aren't there differences in bolts that are used in rotational applications versus pull stretch applications I thought pull stretch (grade 8)compounds are more brittle versus rotational compounds (Grade 5)would give more

68 camaro RS 327/275 THM350 4 wheel disc brake 8.5 10 bolt 3.42 daily driver

post #19 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 05:45 PM
John

Garage

If you inspect an ARP bolt there is a slight radius where to shaft meets the head. This is why you need the beveled washer so the full head of the bolt is flat on the washer. A straight cut washer used will mean the radius of the bolt head will make contact with the inside edge of the washer and not draw flat on the washer.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #20 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 19, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

What good is a rolled thread when the hole it goes in is cut from a tap?
flat tire likes this.

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #21 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 04:17 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

double post
post #22 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 04:18 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

as with anything consideration of proper use has its place. there is no need for a grade 8 or arp bolt to fasten sheet metal or your plastic fan shroud
consider the fasteners used in an aluminum head. you can ruin the threads in the head with a grade 5 bolt
post #23 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 06:22 AM
Team Member
Darin

If you don't have the correct automotive style bolt, ARP bolts sure do look nice as a replacement.

A hardware store bolt might work, but they sure are easy to spot under someones hood.

All my engine bolts are ARP,and a few Stage 8.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #24 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 08:20 AM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

Get another set, they're like 13.99. I would not hesitate to use ARP bolts for any fastener. I would not use hardware bolts to fasten the pressure plate to flywheel for peace of mind, maybe for mock up or desperate situations. In the past I've used Mr. Gasket for flywheel & pressure plate bolts with no problems.
post #25 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 09:08 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by slazisme View Post
Get another set, they're like 13.99. I would not hesitate to use ARP bolts for any fastener. I would not use hardware bolts to fasten the pressure plate to flywheel for peace of mind, maybe for mock up or desperate situations. In the past I've used Mr. Gasket for flywheel & pressure plate bolts with no problems.
If these are junk again i’ll get gm bolts $1.99 each

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

post #26 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 09:29 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamatisg1977 View Post
If these are junk again i’ll get gm bolts $1.99 each
Whatever bolts you use on a pressure plate or flywheel, be sure to use blue loctite on them.

68 Camaro convertible, 6.0 LQ4 with LS3 heads, Vintage Air, 750 street demon carb, eddy perf rpm, GM hot cam, Hooker headers, 4L80e, 12 bolt, 3.55 gears
post #27 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 12:02 PM
Senior Tech
kevin

I just wanted to add a little info, I am not some youngster trying to blow smoke up some ones undies. i am closer to 70 than 50
my dad was a tool and die maker from the 40s-70s. probably a lot here have no what that is. i am sure Brett does. he taught me about metal, the hardness, the use and even a little about forging
so maybe my antique info is out of date, but it has worked for me through out my life time
I have several engines that turned well over 7 K that stayed together without using arp bolts
post #28 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 12:23 PM
Senior Tech
Simon

Garage

While im at it what is the bolt/thread pitch for the transmission to bellhousing?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure this is the specs on the bellhousing bolts.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Per...15768/10002/-1
These bolts are higher than grade 8 plus they have the flange under the head.
post #29 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 12:50 PM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat tire View Post
I just wanted to add a little info, I am not some youngster trying to blow smoke up some ones undies. i am closer to 70 than 50
my dad was a tool and die maker from the 40s-70s. probably a lot here have no what that is. i am sure Brett does. he taught me about metal, the hardness, the use and even a little about forging
so maybe my antique info is out of date, but it has worked for me through out my life time
I have several engines that turned well over 7 K that stayed together without using arp bolts
Although you're technically absolutely correct, most hardware store and ALL home improvement center hardware is Chinese made JUNK and there is no certainty that any of it actually meets any quality standard for hardness/grading. The benefit of buying ARP is their (usually?) high quality control.

Counterfeit fasteners are a real thing.

This is a great read for anyone in our hobby. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...api_taft_p1_i4

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

post #30 of 50 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 19, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by slazisme View Post
While im at it what is the bolt/thread pitch for the transmission to bellhousing?

Pretty sure this is the specs on the bellhousing bolts.
https://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Per...15768/10002/-1
These bolts are higher than grade 8 plus they have the flange under the head.[/QUOTE]

i figured it out using my thread pitch gauge its 1/2"-13

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode