TKO 600 Reverse sucks - Team Camaro Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

 10Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny
 
DT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rockland Cty/Melb bch Fla
Posts: 5,024
Garage
TKO 600 Reverse sucks

Wow, Now that I'm putting some mileage on my LS swap (LS3/TKO) I'm experiencing the common complaints I have been reading about with this TKO. Reverse sucks LOL. If I don't go into 4th BEFORE reverse it will grind. I guess one can live with that, but you would think this day and age they would of came up with a solution.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
DT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 07:02 AM
Senior Tech
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 441
Re: TKO 600 Reverse sucks

Jack rear of car up so tires are off ground. Start motor, put in reverse with the clutch all the way down with parking brake off.....do the rear tires move?

If so you have a disengagement issue.

what shifter/linkage do you have?
dale68z likes this.
SoCal805 is online now  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 08:05 AM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny
 
DT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rockland Cty/Melb bch Fla
Posts: 5,024
Garage
Re: TKO 600 Reverse sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
Jack rear of car up so tires are off ground. Start motor, put in reverse with the clutch all the way down with parking brake off.....do the rear tires move?

If so you have a disengagement issue.

what shifter/linkage do you have?
McLeod hydraulic set-up.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
DT is offline  
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 08:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith
 
X-77 keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: America
Posts: 2,660
Reverse in a TKO is not synchronised. That's why you have to go into another gear to make it go in. Its just the way they are.
DT likes this.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
X-77 keith is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 08:57 AM
Senior Tech
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 441
Re: TKO 600 Reverse sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
McLeod hydraulic set-up.
same hydraulics I have with my McLeod twin disc clutch. The MC is made by Wilwood. My MC is adjustable to raise/lower pedal. I raised it enough until I got full disengagement. Take baby steps in turning the rod until rear tires stop moving with clutch fully depressed.

You may not have a disengagement issue causing it to be hard to get into reverse but its a simple check to see if your clutch is fully disengaging by doing the check method I posted. Forward gears are syncro so you can get into 1st with minimal clutch drag but reverse is non syncro so you can't.

If disengagement is not the problem than maybe your shifter is potentially hanging some going into reverse.

Also I found Redline D4 tranny fluid really smooths out the shifting, especially in cold first shifts

In the end you may just be experiencing...well Tremac transmissions...shifting into a forward gear then reverse sometimes is needed. If that method is what you have to do and it goes into reverse easily that way...you likely do not have a disengagement issue but if it still gives resistance...check to see if the clutch is fully disengaging
DT likes this.
SoCal805 is online now  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny
 
DT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rockland Cty/Melb bch Fla
Posts: 5,024
Garage
Re: TKO 600 Reverse sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
same hydraulics I have with my McLeod twin disc clutch. The MC is made by Wilwood. My MC is adjustable to raise/lower pedal. I raised it enough until I got full disengagement. Take baby steps in turning the rod until rear tires stop moving with clutch fully depressed.

You may not have a disengagement issue causing it to be hard to get into reverse but its a simple check to see if your clutch is fully disengaging by doing the check method I posted. Forward gears are syncro so you can get into 1st with minimal clutch drag but reverse is non syncro so you can't.

If disengagement is not the problem than maybe your shifter is potentially hanging some going into reverse.

Also I found Redline D4 tranny fluid really smooths out the shifting, especially in cold first shifts

In the end you may just be experiencing...well Tremac transmissions...shifting into a forward gear then reverse sometimes is needed. If that method is what you have to do and it goes into reverse easily that way...you likely do not have a disengagement issue but if it still gives resistance...check to see if the clutch is fully disengaging
Thank you!
X1169 likes this.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
DT is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 11:40 AM
Senior Tech
Ed
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wheeling, WV
Posts: 284
Re: TKO 600 Reverse sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
Reverse in a TKO is not synchronised. That's why you have to go into another gear to make it go in. Its just the way they are.
Correct! I had one in a 2001 Mustang and that's exactly what I had to do every time I wanted to put it in reverse. I just lived with it.
DT likes this.
ZEN357 is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 02:08 PM
Tech Team
Dave
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vineland NJ
Posts: 93
Re: TKO 600 Reverse sucks

Normally a Muncie will do the same without shifting into a forward gear first.
ckaram likes this.
Dave Nelson is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 05:42 PM
Senior Tech
Dale
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Glendale,AZ.U.S.A.
Posts: 950
Re: TKO 600 Reverse sucks

The tko in my 68 firebird goes into reverse with no issues. I have a stock clutch and linkage.

68 Dana 302, 68 rs 327 daily driver/family car, 71 rs, track car/ driver, 68 firebird 400, 70 formula 400, 73 type LT, 98 TA, 2 goofy kids and an incredible wife.
dale68z is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 19, 07:03 PM
Senior Tech
Chick
 
68camaroz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: York, PA
Posts: 2,794
Garage
Re: TKO 600 Reverse sucks

As Keith communicated the TKO 600 does not have a synchronized reverse gear but when going from being in a forward gear, pushing in the clutch and going to reverse there is no issue or at least with ours. When there is an issue is if I have the car running and trans in neutral and clutch out, and then push in the clutch and try to go to reverse that's when there is an issue, as that's when the trans needs to be placed in a forward gear prior to going to reverse for a smooth transition.
DT and ilikeike like this.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
68camaroz28 is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 19, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny
 
DT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rockland Cty/Melb bch Fla
Posts: 5,024
Garage
Re: TKO 600 Reverse sucks

Yep 3rd to reverse much much better. Even better than 4th to reverse.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
DT is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 07:25 AM
Senior Tech
Ed
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wheeling, WV
Posts: 284
Re: TKO 600 Reverse sucks

Even so, the TKO600 is an outstanding Transmission. I wish I would have swapped it out sooner.
DT likes this.
ZEN357 is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 19, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny
 
DT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rockland Cty/Melb bch Fla
Posts: 5,024
Garage
Re: TKO 600 Reverse sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEN357 View Post
Even so, the TKO600 is an outstanding Transmission. I wish I would have swapped it out sooner.
I only have about 40 miles on the car now. Minor bugs to work out, NB.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
DT is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 06:50 AM
Senior Tech
Ed
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wheeling, WV
Posts: 284
Re: TKO 600 Reverse sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
I only have about 40 miles on the car now. Minor bugs to work out, NB.
It took some time to get mine broke in. I didn't drive the car very much so I can't give you a good estimate on break-in period.
DT likes this.
ZEN357 is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 19, 07:25 AM
Senior Tech
Kip
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 497
Re: TKO 600 Reverse sucks

I had the same issue... Best cure for that issue= T56 Magnum....

1967 SSRS
kv67ssrs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TKO 600 shifter stick jigsaw Transmission & Driveline 5 Apr 9th, 19 02:20 PM
TKO with 3:30 gears and 600 ft/lbs? RSSSfanatic Transmission & Driveline 1 Feb 9th, 19 09:14 AM
1969 Camaro - LS3 TKO 600 Flaming River R&P ctgoll LSx Swap 1 Nov 10th, 18 01:31 PM
Tremec TKO 600 speedo cable location jimsl78 Camaro Tech 6 Nov 4th, 18 04:22 PM
clutch stop for 1969 camaro with tko 600 Buddy z/28 Transmission & Driveline 5 May 28th, 18 04:54 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome