Powerglide to Turbo 350 swap?'s - Team Camaro Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Powerglide to Turbo 350 swap?'s

Going to do this swap soon using a Turbo 350 from a 70 GM van, 6" tail in my 67 327

Does the kick down linkage & carb rod from the PG work on the Turbo 350? (if not what do I need)

Flexplate the same?

Transmission lines plug & play or is cutting, bending, re-flaring ends required?

Tranny mount the same?

PG X member stay in same location?

DS yoke the same for the 350?

I am getting the Shiftworks kit: https://shiftworks.com/collections/c...conversion-kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 11:38 AM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
IMHO I would seriously consider an OD transmission.

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Powerglide to Turbo 350 swap?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
....ah thanks for your opinion...but my ? is about swapping PG to 350

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 01:36 PM
DT
Gold Lifetime Member
Donny

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal805 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT View Post
....ah thanks for your opinion...but my ? is about swapping PG to 350
Sorry, point taken

1969 X66 396 LeMans Blue, M20, 373 (Sold)
1969 Convertible LS3 TKO 600, 373
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I was given a 350 but have not picked it up yet but in reading it looks like the 350 has a kick down cable vs linkage like the PG. This is the bracket offered by shift works to attach kickdown (aka passing) cable. I need to see how the cable itself attaches to carb so if someone knows, LMK. I have a 1406 Edelbrock carb

https://shiftworks.com/collections/c...-cable-bracket

From what I see on transmission dimension comparison chart the PG is 25 5/16" long with a 9" & 28 5/16" with a 12" tail shaft. IDK how long my stock PG is so if someone knows, LMK. I am guessing 9"

the 350 is 27 5/8" long with a 6" tail shaft, 30 5/8" with a 9" and 33 5/8" with a 12" tail shaft. I believe the 350 I was given has a 6" tail shaft but IDK for sure yet. It came out of a 70 van. Whatever length the 350 has it appears I need to shorten my drive shaft unless someone knows otherwise.

It does appear tranny mount dimension is the same (22 1/4") between PG & 350 so the stock X member should work

I am OK with 3:08's for Fwy speeds. Yeah I know a OD tranny would allow more rear gear and I have 3:73's but I don't have a free 700R4 and also not a fan of the 1-2 gear ratio HUGE gap of the 700R4. TKO or T56 would be cool (I did T56 on my other car) but the $ is prohibitive now and I have decided to keep the Camaro a automatic

Right now I feel the 1st gear ratio of the 350 being 2.52 vs the 1.82 of the PG will give me the "off the line" acceleration I had when I did have 3:73's with the PG. Fun on the street but stupid on FWY at 75-80 mph though

So any tips & tricks on the swap from those who have done it or know, LMK.

I was going to get another TC for the 350. Something like a 2000-2200 stall unless the TC that comes with the 350 is close to that. IDK what stock stall would have been but guessing 1300-1600 ish
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You can use the following: cross member, driveshaft, mount, lines - start them when trans is midway as better to reach and work and can get them threaded on straight, and flex plate.
Check driveshaft, I believe I used the same, but maybe had to change front yoke as PG was coarse spline and THM-350 was fine splined.
You will have to get a bolt-on adapter for the kickdown cable and change to a '68 & later horseshoe shifter with cable and file in a detent for reverse lockout.
Or, if column shift, you could engineer a fit, even with a '67 shifter, and console shifter.

Other than this, it's a piece of cake.
Flush out radiator cooler with a complete can of aerosol cleaner.
If looser convertor goes in, add on a large external cooler after radiator cooler.
The oil can never be too cool.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
You will have to get a bolt-on adapter for the kickdown cable and change to a '68 & later horseshoe shifter with cable and file in a detent for reverse lockout.
Thanks Everett

From what I am finding Shiftworks makes a PG-TH350 shifter that is the 67 style vs having to swap to the 68-69 Horse Shoe type

The adapter for kick down cable, I assume it bolts to carb base or intake, is sold by Edelbrock and also this one from Shift Works. IDK what the end of Kick down cable looks like or how it attaches to carb but will figure that out

https://shiftworks.com/collections/c...-cable-bracket

and this 67 Shifter and bezel (PRND21) from Shiftworks

https://shiftworks.com/collections/c...conversion-kit

Thanks for advising the swap is otherwise plug & play in terms of x member, DS, flex plate

IDK about the speedo cable & gear but I think the PG and 350 use the same

I will check front yoke

The more I look into dimensions between PG & 350 I get different measurements from one site to the other where it appears from that information you either need to shorten DS or move x member back...neither I would prefer to do so your notes are encouraging

I would get a 2000-2200 stall max. Probably OK with standard radiator cooling but plumbing in a external cooler is more than likely. Car is lowered so a deeper pan would likely be a speed bump problem
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech
Al

This will help the length dimensions. It's been posted here before.
https://buickturboregal.com/gm-buick...s-gear-ratios/

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Al

I have the middle diagram and one from TCI

The variance in lengths from TCI say a PG with a 12" tail (what I have) and a 350 with a 6" tail the overall length is within 1/8" of each other so no big deal. The TCI chart shows 15/16" difference in tranny mounts though where both the charts in your link say the mount is identical (22 1/4")...but TCI chart says 15/16" difference in tranny mount location

So depending on which chart I look at....one will say tranny mounts are = but lengths are different or mounts are about 1" apart and length is 1/8" to 5/8" difference ... the TCI chart has a PG with a 12" tail and a 350 with a 6" tail the 350 is 15/16" longer which would mean my DS needs to be cut down about 1"

Sooo, without putting my PG next to my 350 (have not picked it up yet) I will have to see if my x member needs to be re-positioned or my DS needs to be shortened

It would be great if the x member and DS position/length did not have to change. I can absorb easily a 1/8" longer tranny as there is a good 1+ inch of yoke extending from tail shaft with my suspension loaded

I will be using a friends shop/lift to do the swap and need to complete the job in a day so surprises on shortening the DS would be a problem as I would need to "push" the car out the shop until I get the DS back from whatever shop I find can cut it down. Swapping out front yokes is no big deal if there is a spline difference between PG & 350 but knowing ahead of time so I could have the new yoke on hand would be great

I see the front subframe has a hole about 1" behind the forward x member bolt but not the rear bolt....to bad it does not have one pre-drilled for the rear x member bolt and the access hole for the rear bolt but I could use the existing hole in sub-frame and drill the X member..maybe there is already a hole in x member already I can't see until I remove it.

Was hopeful to confirm what does or does not bolt directly in. Everett's recollection is it's a bolt in. If I use the measurements noted in your link the tranny mounts are = but the 350 is 5/8" longer which is pushing on making not enough yoke travel left. It would leave about 5/8" of yoke still exposed which could be enough unless rear end travel will jam yoke into tail housing

I have done PG to Muncie swap (57 Chevy Belair), 4L60E to T56 (96 Impala SS) so have been around the block on tranny swaps but was hopeful to get consistent measurement data on PG & 350 to determine what pre-swap steps I will need to confront and accommodate.

I really...really do not want to do this swap on jackstands in my garage as I have done other tranny swaps. Having access to a lift albeit it limited will make this WAY easier so trying to get all my ducks lined up on what does or does not bolt directly in

Appreciate the input gents.

Roger
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 04:05 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Roger, You should have no issues at all with the swap. It's been done more times than you can count.

Al

my 67' build thread:
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

You may need to add the cable adapter for the casing, but the cable end is a long slotted item and would fit onto a ball stud bolted onto the carb lever below the throttle plate.
Once attached, both casing and slotted end, hold throttle to WOT, release casing stop and pull out all slack and lock casing holder.
Now you should feel some resistance when pulling cable forward the last 3/8 inch(?) of travel. WOT upshift would be about 5500 RPM.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Crossmember location won't change and both use the same rear mount. Yoke is the same PG and T350. Flexplate/starter also the same.

The kd cable bracket you liked bolts to the rearmost two intake bolts on the driver's side unless you have vortec heads/intake. It is not the original style used on 1st gen Camaros, though. This is. Either will work - get the correct cable for whichever bracket you get.

The PG cooler lines can be made to work but will require some tweaking. You might be happier with a repro T350 line set for a 68/9.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 19, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Really appreciate the 411 guys. I was over analyzing the size comparison charts so glad to hear its a bolt in using existing x member, tranny mount, yoke, DS, flexplate, starter

IDK yet if the 350 has a kick down cable on it and if it would be compatible with my car. Supposedly the tranny is from a 70 van. My buddy who owns the shop I am using and who gave me the trans was going to go through it to see how clutches & bands look. Likely do a shift kit also

I have stock heads and a Edelbrock intake manifold & carb so will see which cable bracket to use pending what I get for a kick down cable

If the PG cooler lines can be "massaged" to connect I am cool with that but if cutting/bending & re-flare ends for different fitting size is needed I would likely buy some re-pop 68 lines for a 350
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 19, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Anyone use a TCI 350?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-311000/overview/

On further review my donor tranny will need a rebuild so looking at others. TCI, Hughes, Monster
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 19, 01:07 PM
John

Garage

I would NEVER buy another tranny from Monster. Their stuff is crap.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode