Tranny Lines in/out Radiator Flush? - Team Camaro Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 19, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Tranny Lines in/out Radiator Flush?

Doing a tranny swap with converter and using a can of Line/Cooler flush.

What line going into the Powerglide is the "Feed" line (where it connects to tranny)?...top or bottom one?

The PG is working fine but going to flush lines/radiator cooler since the new tranny (TH50) & TC have been rebuilt and currently fluid dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: Tranny Lines in/out Radiator Flush?

Well after asking Dr Google....and getting opposite answers the "majority" of them say the upper port is the "return" aka "feed" line from the radiator. The picture says #9 is Return. If anyone knows otherwise, please reply

I will check to see if the lower line coming out of radiator is connected to the upper port of the PG as, according to google, the PG ^ 350 have the same port orientation in terms of return
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 07:38 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

call your local transmission shop

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Top line on radiator is return to trans as GM designed in filling the cooler, any cooler, from the bottom up for removing air pockets.
Use the whole can of cleaner.
Before installing T/conv onto input shaft, tilt at 45 degrees, and fill as much as you can, with ATF.
Then lube the t/conv snout with ATF, then install t/conv onto input shaft.
Once trans installed, add a couple qts to the pan and crank it up.
Then after filling, run trans through gears, recheck level again. Top off, if needed.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 17th, 19, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Thanks Everett2390

I did all the above re: TC & line cleaner. Used compressed air to flush cleaner. Tranny is in and will finish up tomorrow. Been a few years since I did a trans swap.....ouch. Jackstands but I do have a tranny jack

Should have the Shiftworks part next day or two so won't start car until I get that in

X member was.....difficult to get out. Possible the floorboards have sagged some in 52 years but a BFH got it out

Tranny lines needed minimal massaging. Will put the vac modulator line in tomorrow after I cut and bend the end to go to PS of tranny

Will be nice to have a real 1st gear...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good job, No, floors don't sag - by design, the floor is cupped over the crossmember.
Yes, you do have to use a Ford tuning tool in removing one corner of the member.
I made room for mine to come in/out as the floor is covered by the seat chassis.
Attach cooling lines before the final touch-up onto block, attach lines by hand when low enough to get to, then wrench in place and install, or install trans then use a crowsfoot wrench. Good luck

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode