3Likes
  • 1 Post By buenymayor
  • 1 Post By sadarian
  • 1 Post By BillK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

1969 Camaro rolls when transmission in park

I have a 1969 SS, 350, 3 speed automatic with the horseshoe-shaped shifter on the center console. The other day when I put it in park and took my foot off the brake, the car started rolling forward. It jerked and I could hear a thump every time it moved. I'm very much an amateur DIY'er - can anyone advise what the issue might be, and what the proper fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 08:14 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: 1969 Camaro rolls when transmission in park

Welcome to the site! Sounds like the transmission isn't fully going into Park. Probably just a cable adjustment. IIRC, the cable can be adjusted down where it hooks to the transmission lever.
sadarian likes this.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Doing some more research, it sounds like I have an issue with the parking pawl. Still any advice on a fix is much appreciated.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Ah, thanks for the quick reply! I'll give that a try.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 19, 07:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jeff

Send a message via Yahoo to yellow69RS

I had an issue with mine that I hit the linkage underneath on the high center of my driveway. After that I had to adjust it under the cover of the console. the is not much adjustment but it fixed my issue.

Jeff
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Thanks to you both for the replies. Looks like it can be adjusted at either the transmission linkage or the left side of the horseshoe shifter. I ended up making a small adjustment at the shifter and it worked like a charm!
yellow69RS likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 19, 12:29 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadarian View Post
Thanks to you both for the replies. Looks like it can be adjusted at either the transmission linkage or the left side of the horseshoe shifter. I ended up making a small adjustment at the shifter and it worked like a charm!
I glad it work for you, my suggestion is when you put transmission in park, keep foot on brake and then put emergency brake on. This way the transmission is not holding the car but the emergency brake taking the stress off transmission.

1969 Camaro RS Hugger Orange - Work in Progress - You see rust, I see restoration!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 19, 07:26 AM
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsb0719 View Post
my suggestion is when you put transmission in park, keep foot on brake and then put emergency brake on. This way the transmission is not holding the car but the emergency brake taking the stress off transmission.
That is the way I was taught when I first started driving. Do the same thing to this day. I just don't trust that little park pawl to keep a vehicle from moving. Its amazing how many people never use the parking brake.
DjD likes this.

Bill Koustenis
Owner
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
1971 Chevelle "Heavy Chevy" original owner

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Yeah, I definitely plan to after this, thanks again!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 19, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech

IMHO always use a parking brake. Have a friend who spent way to much $ on his 69 that has no parking brake (4 wheel modern disc swap) foot parking brake or any of the cable under the car involved with a parking brake. B&M shifter with NSS bypassed so it will start in any gear. That led to his first custom bumper and garage door mod (ouch)

His driveway is slopped so with just park pawl holding the car and no parking brake his fix was use a block of wood behind tire "in case" pawl breaks....but he then can't get it out of park sometimes after parking on a slope because there is to much car weight against the pawl to disengage park so a few people have to "push" the car forward some so he can get it out of park.

Yeah the car is all shiny and has tons of high $ parts on it but so many necessary items (parking brake, NSS, horn, etc) are not installed making the car, in some cases, a real problem.

IMHO have a functioning parking brake regardless of auto or stick car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode