Team Camaro Tech banner

Clutch

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  NH427 
#1 ·
I have tried to read other posts and I can't come to a clear answer as to how I should adjust my clutch. As of right now the clutch grabs almost instantly off of the floor. I adjusted the rod longer and the clutch does not seem to be slipping under load but am affraid I might have the throw out bearing touching the pressure plate fingers.

1. with the return springs off should you be able to move the clutch finger by hand towards the rear of the car at all?

2. to get the clutch so it grabs 2" or so off the floor I had to extend the rod which is now firmly hitting the cup on the clutch fork or what I would call preload. Should the rod be able to move back and forward with the pedal pulled all the way up and the springs are off

3. with everything hooked up when you press in the clutch should it instantly start moving the clutch fork or is the first 1" or so only suppose to be the springs moving?

Thanks for any and all help

#3 ·
Agree with BGH, Make sure though that your clutch peddle is fully up before adjusting. Tie it off with a string so it's in its highest position. Then adjust the nuts on the clutch linkage to the tip of the rod is seated in the cup of the fork with no play forward or back. Tighten the nuts to prevent movement then release the clutch peddle and there should be a noticeable difference in the feel. Another thing you'll have to consider is the shape of the clutch fingers, were they flat or did they 45* toward the tranny. Those will affect the engagement and feel of the clutch as well.

#4 ·
So I finally got it adjusted right. I could not get enough travel out of the pedal. If I lengthened the rod the clutch would release a few inches off the floor but then it would not have enough travel to let the fork move back enough. Went and looked a bit more and there is a rubber plug the pedal hits when fully out. I removed about 1/4 off of it and now the pedal can travel up further and that allows the clutch fork to not have constant pressure from the adjusting rod on it. Thanks for all of the help and hopefully this might save someone else so headaches

#5 ·
Do you have the correct clutch fork and clutch fork pivot ball installed? Both of those pieces, if incorrect, will effect the clutch pedal linkage geometry and could contribute to the problem that you are having.

#7 ·
Glad to heard your clutch pedal is to your liking. Unfortunately you shouldn't have to lengthen or modify anything to get the geometry working correctly. I cant tell you how many clutch problems are flywheels that have been surfaced out of specs, wrong Z-bars, wrong adjustment rods or even worn/damaged pressure plate fingers. Just make sure you have 1/8" clearance between the throwout bearing and the PP fingers (car off in the relaxed position) with roughly one inch of "free-play" at the top of the pedal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.