turbo 400 in gear and in park at the same time!! - Team Camaro Tech
Transmission & Driveline Transmissions and Differentials

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

turbo 400 in gear and in park at the same time!!

I have a 1970 cutlass 455 SX that I want to sell. Problem is it has sat for 10 years since I bought it.
I have it running but the transmission is giving me problems.
I need the trans to work so a future buyer can have it transported easily as a running car.

I added fluid to the trans as it needed 5 quarts.

The problem is before I added the fluid it would not move.
The engine revved up easily with no resistance while in park.

Now that I have the fluid in the trans, While the car is in PARK, the trans is creating resistance to the engine as if it is in gear and I am stepping on the brake. The park pin is holding it in place.

I hope this makes since.

So I believe the trans is somehow stuck in drive. When I shift the car into reverse it moves forward. when it is shifted to neutral, it moves forward. When in drive, it moves forward.

When in park, it stays in place because of the parking pin in the trans, but it WANTS to move forward.

Ideas what can be going on? I searched on line and can't find anyone with a similar problem.

All ideas welcome.
Thanks
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190603_214948.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	369.6 KB
ID:	228071  

Ratchetmaster
1968 SS Merlin III PBM Performance Products 572 with all the good stuff, Dart PRO 1 aluminum heads, Jesel roller rockers, Steel 4340 scat crankshaft, PBM rods, SRP forged pistons, Billet specialties, Be Cool radiator package , Tremec TKO 600 5 speed, Moser 12 bolt, Hotchskis, Baer, etc.
1968 RS SS 350 M4
1969 Olds 442 convertible
1972 454 ElCamino Turbo 400 (X now owns it! )
1973 RS LT Z28 M4 SOLD
2006 Silverado Duramax lbz Crew Cab SB 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 02:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

Sounds like the valve body is sticking. From rust, or bummed up. Put some Lucus trans fix in it. It has worked well in the past for me with vehicles that have sat. Need to get the trans good and hot. Shift into drive pause, neutral, pause, reverse, pause. Pause for like 20 seconds each time. Shanging the fluid will do nothing for a stuck valve. I have never done it, but some put some dot 3 in the trans. Then do basically the same procedure. Good luck.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 02:12 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

Re: turbo 400 in gear and in park at the same time!!

Sounds overfilled to me.

69 COPO clone, 461" BBC 11.25:1 Compression
840 Rec Heads (2.25/1.88) AED 850 HO carb
Orig Exhaust Manifolds
Straub (Clay Smith) cam, 288/300 .600/.569 109.
TH400, 3500 stall, 4.11 12 bolt posi

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 02:44 PM
Senior Tech

OP

5 qts low after sitting 10 years...really?

There would have been one big puddle under car if it leaked that much or it would not have worked (trans) 5 qts low 10 years ago

you sure you didn't overfill it?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 07:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

It is not uncommon for the converter to back drain when sitting a while. 10 years is a long time. A couple drips a day, it could leak 5 quarts. Who is to say it was full to start with? Sitting outside you may not notice the leak going back into the ground. The trans is just a glorified hydraulic pump. If its over full it will puke what it doesn't want out the vent. They have a vent about mid way in the center of the case.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 19, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Tim

Thanks for the replies.

The previous owner said the trans was not working right and had been part before I towed it away.

Just now getting around to it.

I have sold off 4 cars in the last two years.
Time for this one to go.
No fluid puking out anywhere. I was gone for the last two weeks and it left a small puddle on my garage floor. It had been parked outside at my dads on dirt.

I think I'll try the Lucas trans fix method and see what happens. I thought about the valve body. Thought I would go to a wrecking yard and find a turbo 400 and get the valve body out of it and try it in the car to see what happens.

But the Lucas sounds like it is worth a try.

Weird that it is in gear ALL the time and has no reverse or natural or park working except the lock pin to keep the car in place.

Thanks again.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 19, 05:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Ben

Garage

good luck finding a TH400 in wrecking yard. especially with serviceable valve body. I'd have better luck finding a unicorn with a 12 bolt rear for legs around my neck of the woods
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 19, 01:27 PM
Tech Team
wes

pull the trans and have it rebuilt forward clutch pack is welded together from disc slipping
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode