Team Camaro Tech banner

Vibration at higher speeds

13K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  allanjs 
#1 ·
So whenever I approach 60 mph I can start to feel a slight vibration in the floor and by the time I reach 80 mph, its much worse and loud also. Not gonna go faster for fear of proper f*%#ing it! I'm guessing drive shaft issue? Haven't check tires balance yet, but I've ridden in vehicles with shotty tire balance and this doesn't feel like it, this is a higher frequency.
Car is a 68 Camaro with a 383 stroker, auto 700AR tranny and original diff. Also have a lowered and stiffened suspension.

Do performance shops have some sort of dyno we can run the car on and measure the vibe frequency to isolate what is causing it?

#6 ·
Did it start when you lowered it? If yes then most likely driveline angles as Al said.

Don

#7 ·
I had a vibration at 70 MPH way back when I could drive my Camaro. I balanced the tires here on the car and replaced u-joints before a 700 mile trip to Oklahoma. Had the tires rebalanced down there off the car and still had the vibration. two or three people looked at the tires for broken belts and found nothing. I finally bought new tires and fixed the vibration.

Jeff

#8 ·
Car is a 68 Camaro with a 383 stroker, auto 700AR tranny and original diff. Also have a lowered and stiffened suspension.
As noted, assuming your tires are balanced, this sounds like a DL angle problem.700R4 would have a different X member/location and possible different angle

Certainly bad U joints can do this but yours sounds more like a DL angle problem. You can measure yourself using a magnetic angle finder and do the math. The car needs to be on all 4 tires to do this or take it to a drive line shop with a drive on lift so they cam measure your DL angle. Usually shimming the trans can correct those or angle shims under the rear end housing.

When I lowered my car 2" I needed 2 degree shims in the rear. Got them from Speedway

#12 ·
I put mine on jack stands, using my hands to rotate the tires on the rear,I moved them forward and back in quick motions and noticed the clunking of the joint at the rear yolk, also noticed a little play in the shaft, had it rebalanced with new style larger joints and poof, all good.

#14 ·
Ok guys, I finally had the chance to have my wheels road force balanced, they needed minor tweaks but all in all, they were pretty close. Either way they're bang on now and the vibration is still there. So drive line issue it is! Before I start disassembling things, does anyone know what the angles are supposed to be at specific locations and where exactly to take the measurement? I have a digital protractor, just need to know the specs......

Cheers,

#20 ·
The Tremec app is very handy and I'd agree giving it a try. There are a number of sources available online discussing DL angle tolerances. I've found the article attached below to be helpful in understanding how to best measure these angles. I had vibration issues that was only solved with a properly made driveshaft balanced at high speed. If you're running a 4.10 or higher gear you can easily get vibration at freeway speeds if the DS is not spot on and most DS shops don't balance shafts properly for very high DS speeds.

Attachments

#22 ·
The most common reason for a car to shake is related to tires. If the tires are out of balance then the steering wheel can shake. This shaking starts at around 50-55mph. If your steering wheel shakes while you are braking then the problem could be caused by “out of round” brake rotors.

#23 ·
Ok guys, quick follow up here. I dropped the car off at Driveline Solutions in Calgary. Turns out the drive shaft was 2" too short and the diff angle was way off. They welded an extension in the shaft and repositioned the differential. I test drove the car to 110 mph and it is smooth as glass! So basically whoever did the restoration did not take the time to complete the driveline correctly.

#24 ·
2" short...wow. Must have had a lot of the front yoke exposed. Several have done 700R4 trans swaps in 1st gens. IDK what DS is used but a 700R is longer than a TH350 or PG...so a 700 would require a shorter than stock DS so the stock DS would be cut down...weird the shop had to "add" 2" so maybe the DS was for some other car

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.