Team Camaro Tech banner

Muncie M20 or M21 or M22

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  tangobravo 
#1 ·
Trying to identify my Muncie 4 speed, assembled 1/25/1967
Can someone tell from pic's ?
The input shaft is 10 spline with 2 groves.
from the driveshift, it looks like the output shaft is 27 spline.
Thanks-
Kevin

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
When gears are changed, all bets are off. I used to build Muncies out of piles of parts taken from broken transmissions I had bought for pennies. Only way to identify what is in there after that kind of deal would be with pictures of the tranny with the side cover off, and tooth count of the gears, case number and pin size. Yes, I'm a swap meet buyer. Yes I can identify parts by sight. If you can't, you will be able to after a few years of making expensive mistakes.

#12 ·
quote:When gears are changed, all bets are off.
well that is what I was getting at on my first post
the last transmission I had rebuilt, the guy cracked the case trying to remove a roll pin.
he had dozens of cases and told me to pick the one I wanted. so i sand blasted several to find a good case that he place my internals in a NEW case. so #s on the case mean nothing

#14 · (Edited)
Grooved input shafts are good identifiers. Factory gears were grooved for M20 and M21 identification. LACK of grooves will be uncertain as most aftermarket replacements were not identified with grooving,(and GM M22 gearsets) Grooving was done on both the input gear and the countergear.
ADD: Another consideration is watch out for M20 gearsets-- as the ratios were changed from the original 2.56 ratio (63-65) to the 2.52 ratio (66-up) These are different gearsets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.