• 1 Post By Farm Boy
  • 1 Post By ss27
  • 1 Post By eville

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
wade

Centerforce 1 or 2

Shopping for a new clutch for my 396 SS L78 4 speed. I'm thinking I want the Centerforce 2. I'll listen to any other opinions though. Engine is basically stock except for retro hydraulic roller cam kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 07:29 AM
Senior Tech
Freddie

Re: Centerforce 1 or 2

I think the CF 2 would be better. I've used them in a few cars and trucks and they worked great for me. Pedal pressure isn't very high and they hold well.

'69 RS/SS396 pro street/427/4spd/9"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 07:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

I have a CF clutch in my car and would never buy another one. I had to remove the gimmick CF weight system to solve a low speed rattle. Others have had vibration issues when the weights fail to center. Before you lay down your cash read this:
https://www.camaros.net/forums/27-tr...-question.html
pittpens24 likes this.

Steve

I drove it for the first time in 1972 when I was 15.

Better looking than a '56 Ford or Plymouth.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
wade

I'm open to other brands. Also looked at Mcleod but I'd take any suggestions
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 10:01 AM
Senior Tech
alex

Well Wade here's my two cents worth if your running an 11" clutch and a 168 tooth flywheel I would use the factory L-88 raised cone diaphragm clutch. my reasons for saying this in the past 40 plus years my gearhead friends and myself have used them all. We have used Zoom McLeod Ram etc. , just about all of them that are in the 400 to 500 hp range. We found that the factory L-88 lasted longer and took more abuse than all of the high perf aftermarket ones including the problematic Centerforce ones, for the reasons above sticking to the floor and others that Farm boy described. Mind you I am not product bashing here we had good luck with all of them except for the Centerforce ones for the described reasons, but we did find that the L-88 one took more abuse and lasted longer so that's our go to clutch. I have written on this both on team Camaro and Chevelle. Good luck whatever your choice. Alex
boyd66k20 likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 10:06 AM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

I have a McLeod dual disc and it's awesome.
pittpens24 likes this.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

Last edited by eville; Nov 8th, 19 at 10:34 AM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
wade

SS27. Do you have to get this L88 clutch thru a gm dealer?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 11:47 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Any clutch that sticks to the floor means the clutch linkage ism't adjusted correctly. Any diaphragm clutch can go over center and stick if the linkage isn't adjusted to provide a positive stop (racers used block of wood under the clutch pedal in the old days).

The L-88 clutch was a severe duty part sold through the service department (don't know if it is still available since the L-88 has been out of production for decades). It was still a cast iron part that can come to join you in the passenger compartment if over reved or allowed to heat check. For that reason I used a Zoom or Schaeffler SFI listed clutch parts back in the days that I had a manual.

The advantage of a dual disc is the pedal force is less to get the same clamping force (which is why they use weights to augment the spring pressure of a Long or Borg and Beck style clutch). Additionally because the clutch will hold with less pedal effort it is easier to shift (a real plus in road racing, but can only help at the drag race). In pro racing they use a planetary transmission that doesn't use a clutch for anything but launching so those adjustable weights on the pressure plate clamp down hard as RPM increases to 10,000 RPM. Another example of the difference between a race car and a street car.

Big Dave
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
wade

Its strictly a street driven car that gets romped on a little. Just looking for a little upgrade from the stock clutch. So many to choose from.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 8th, 19, 05:23 PM
Senior Tech
Freddie

I had a CF dual friction in my Camaro for years and I sifted it at 7000 RPMs every time I drove it. I had no problems at all with it, and would still be using it if I had't upgraded my entire drive line for drag racing. I've also used a CF2 in 2 of my trucks and a CF1 in my Mustang and all of them have worked great. I have a McLeod RXT in the Camaro now. I know that everyone has different experiences so take this for what it's worth.

'69 RS/SS396 pro street/427/4spd/9"

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 04:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

I have had my car since high school - been through many clutches with my old 450HP SB. Had it down to a science bench pressing the M-22 trans in and out a few too many times. Had the dual friction centerforce and what a waste of money - couldn't even compare to a Hays street/strip setup. Finally went with a McLeod dual disc that comes with it own flywheel. Was expensive, but worth every penny. Was the last clutch I had to put in the car and was simply awesome!
In my new set-up, I went with a RAM dual disc and it is phenomenal! Granted on a dual disc there will be a little more noticeable pressure but not much. Don't let that scare you off.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 19, 07:37 AM
Senior Tech

My $.02 is never CF for the reasons noted, period. My check book learned the hard way after using several different brands of single disc clutches from full face organic discs to dual friction to full ceramic puc or Kevlar discs. They all died sooner than later. Yeah I did 1/4 mi the car so that's part of that hobby. I opened my wallet further and got a McLeod Twin disc full face organic disc clutch. Wish that was the 1st one I had gone with as I would be thousands of $ ahead. Can't say enough about it and its been in for years now. Also McLeod will rebuild it for a fraction of purchase price if it ever needs it

If you just drive normal and have a basically stock motor than a Hays is OK. If you drive aggressive and/or drag the car and make 400HP+ than go with a Twin disc IMHO.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 19, 04:56 PM
Senior Tech
Morgan

Garage

I had a centerforce dual friction in a few cars. The last one was the est once I removed the weights and ring, took the pressure late and flywheel and had them balanced as a set. No vibration and was the best centerforce I ever had, buy a McLeod

69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 automatic [email protected], 1.95 on f70-14 polyglas F.AS.T. Race June 2016
69 Copo 9560 ZL-1 4spd [email protected] 1.93 60ft on F70/14
PSMCDR 2014
71LS6 vette [email protected] PSMCDR 2012 SOLD
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 19, 12:09 AM
Senior Tech
Ray

I installed centerforce dual friction in my 67 back in 2005. 500hp + sbc, Tko 600. Still going strong. Light pedal feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode